Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I caved and bought a serger ... >
  • I caved and bought a serger ...

• I caved and bought a serger ...

Old 02-10-2014, 10:45 AM

I've had my serger for approx. 15 years. Yes, threading can be difficult but it can be done. Don't use it everyday or week or month but when I need it I have it. Wish I had one that 'air' threads.
    Old 02-10-2014, 11:25 AM

I bought a used serger from ebay about 8 years ago - use it occasionally, but really enjoy it - I used to dread threading it, but then found out there was one lever you move when you thread it that makes threading much more accessible - I use it to finish edges of receiving blankets, clothing, etc. I'm really glad i have it... enjoy, and don't let threading scare you!
    Old 02-10-2014, 12:02 PM

I, too, have an Elna serger (Elnita Lock) that I dearly love. It is old, but has never been a problem to thread (but you do need a pair of long legged tweezers). My sister nearly destroyed mine when I let her try it out one time, she sewed something real thick and fuzzy, and locked the blade up completely. After I had to pay a repairman to fix it, no one uses my serger but me......
    Old 02-10-2014, 04:20 PM

Have an old Baby lock three thread and it can be a pain threading it if thread breaks, but get the book out and follow directions and don't give up until I get it. So handy for so many things. Bought it new when they first came into cloth world. Great for clothes and household items. Don't let it boss you, just read book and do it, gets easier every time.
    Old 02-10-2014, 04:50 PM

Once it is threaded, I try not to unthread it. If changing colors, I cut the old thread at the spool and tie the new thread to the old one and then guide the old threads through until only all new threads are on the machine. (It's simpler than what I wrote.) My serger from Nancy's Notions came with an instruction book and a dvd. My problem was getting the threads just right at the needle area. After threading a few times it became easier every time. I use mine often. More so now that I am making AG doll clothes, scarves, crib sheets and pillowcases, receiving blankets, and lots of little girl clothes.
    Old 02-11-2014, 11:31 AM
    Power Poster

Enjoy your new machine...