Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you find a charity group? >
  • How do you find a charity group?

• How do you find a charity group?

Old 02-17-2014, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by willferg
    I help with our local chapter of Project Linus, and we give to hospitals but also to health clinics, homeless shelters, pediatric therapy groups, teen mom groups...in other words, under our umbrella we reach out to many places. We also know of others who support senior groups and other types of nonprofits, so contact your local PL chapter and ask questions!
    I love Project Linus, it's my favorite charity group because their offerings are so varied and widespread within a community as you suggested. Anyone can look up Project Linus online to find info near where they live.

Last edited by Annie68; 02-17-2014 at 07:52 AM.
    Old 02-17-2014, 08:19 AM

Soldiers Angels Blanket of Hope for wounded warriors who are evacuated from the battlefield with nothing, including the clothes on their backs. These do not have to be elaborate quilts, even no-sew blankets are welcomed! Great service project for kids. It really depends on your heart. http://soldiersangels.org/blankets-of-hope.html

Last edited by AZ Jane; 02-17-2014 at 08:22 AM.
    Old 02-17-2014, 10:07 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

If you prefer not to make quilts but sew garments (dresses and shorts) Nancy's Notions has a site for dresses/shorts for kids. Also check with your local nursery at the hospitals and see if they accept small quilts, hats etc.. Many of the local shelters take quilts also for at risk families. Dog Rescues are always in need of quilts for the dogs to lay on or make their own.
    ITs a shame that a shop wouldn't know such information, maybe as suggested; make a list and ask the owner/employees to make it available for people who do want to make a quilt and send it on to a charity.
    Old 02-17-2014, 11:06 AM

You might check with some of the local churches in your area. I work with our church's quilting ministry. We make quilts for local shelters, for mission trips to other countries and whenever we hear of a family in need or that has suffered a catastrophic event. Your local quilt guilds, if there are any, might have suggestions for you as well. If not, any local shelter for abused women, homeless families, birthright centers might be able to give you tips to help them.
    Old 02-17-2014, 11:32 AM

Another good place is your local hospitals oncology department. Some quilters donate to those undergoing chemo.
    Old 02-17-2014, 12:03 PM

Local here. I make dog pillows from scraps and take to the local humane society. I also make items for the local charity that helps young mothers who are in need. Baby items mostly. Occasionaly, I make shoulder wraps for local nursing home resident. Always more charities to donate to than I have time. I would like to do more but I do what time permits. I am sure if you ask around you will find some in your area that would love to have your donations.
    Old 02-17-2014, 12:28 PM

Ive also given to sheriff dept and social services for when they remove children from homes, fire depts, sheriff for accident victims there is lots! Ui also give to rehab centers, nursing homes, vets, local hospitals, womens shelters. I try to pick somewhere new every year. Havent run out yet!! :-)
    Old 02-17-2014, 02:08 PM

There is a great foundation near you that you may want to visit or check the web site. Making quilts for the MY Stuff Bags is how I got started quilting.
    My Stuff Bags foundation
    5347 Sterling Center Drive
    Westlake Village, CA 91361
    www.mystuffbags.org
    Phone: 818-865-3860
    Old 02-17-2014, 02:42 PM

Ask other quilters! I'm very surprised that your LQS don't know of any charities that accept quilts. After all, the more quilts that are made, the more fabric they sell.
    Old 02-17-2014, 02:51 PM

I think that is such a great idea. I quilt/sew on my own, and can only do so much. I am an animal lover and I have always wanted to combine my love of sewing with somehow helping animals in need. I have made dog/pet pillows but recently started making layered blankets that can be folded if a smaller size is needed, and can be laundered easily. Top layer is flannel, with two layers of muslin inside and backing. It is surprising how fast I go through fabric making them. I am making them about 32 inches by 40 inches.

Serita

Originally Posted by w1613s
    Do you have a particular interest closest to your heart? Contact them.

I discovered a lady was making cage inserts for a local animal rescue group. You adopted a critter, you got a cage mat. The mats were even sometimes time of the year themed: Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, 4th of July, etc. Encouraged adoptive people. I discovered the group and this lady at the vet's office.

There are groups everywhere. Find that interest closest to your heart and talk to people who are involved somehow with that interest. They are out there and all it takes is talking to people to find them. Your time and talent will be gratefully appreciated. And you will make some similarly concerned friends.

Good luck and have a good time.

Pat