Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting table advice please >

cutting table advice please

cutting table advice please

Old 04-29-2014, 05:10 PM

I have the first one, and it has been a workhorse for me. I've never had the instability problems others have mentioned. I have it on carpeting and haven't noticed any movement. I use it for basting quilts, too. I also bought the white cutting mat that fits the table. It's not a self-healing mat, but I couldn't find any other one at a reasonable price. Good luck with your search.

Leslie
Old 04-29-2014, 07:37 PM

peaceandjoy...that is like lots of the pins I have saved on Pinterest. I do like that alot.

My DH is fairly handy and his buddy is really handy...so I know once I make up my mind they can make it happen!...lol

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:34 AM

I use my mobile kitchen island. I have had it for 14 years. Love the storage underneath, the casters to roll it, the height, the top surface accommodates the 24 x 36 cutting mat. It has a drop leaf but I never drop it. So many more great choices since I bought mine in 2000. Very sturdy!

sandy
Old 04-30-2014, 02:44 AM

Wow. Those are expensive. Get 2 saw horses and a 4x8 Sheet of smooth plywood. Then I covered a thin sheet about half the size with batting and duck cloth for an ironing surface that is removable when I want to lay out 2 baby quilts at a time and pin them both. It isn't pretty, but does the job very well. It's stable too.
Of course you will need help getting it set up. Pretty heavy.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:19 AM

I bought the one without shelves at Joanns with a 50% coupon. I use it but I don't like it. It is very unstable. I didn't do it because of space issues but the alternatives of a banquet table or something from Ikea are, IMO, excellent.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:34 AM

I have had the 1st table for what seems like over 10 years and my only complaint is that there isn't enough space in my sewing room to extend it completely. I can store totes underneath filled with fabric and even have a small tote there for my scraps. Basically, I'm completely happy with my purchase.
It is quite heavy, and will take a strong DH to get into your car and home.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:55 AM

I have the first one listed and use it alot! Mostly for pinning my quilts so I can quilt them by machine. I do not use it to cut my fabric since it is taller than I like.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:11 AM

I've had one of those tables or a similar one as I bought mine at JoAnne's. It worked okay but found it would move on me even though I had the wheels locked down. Now that my sewing room is in the basement and the floor is not perfectly level it would never work correctly for me. I put my newer cutting table at the most level part of the room now. I took two enclosed bookcases (bottom sections) facing away from each other, added "L" brackets halfway up for an added shelf and then added a 3/4" piece of plywood varnished for the top and added the largest cutting mat I could find at the time. My cutting table is 7' x 4' and my mat is about a foot shorter. I have found a company online that will cut the mat to fit your measurements and when my budget allows it I will order a new self-healing mat with measurements to fit the entire top. They will send you the pieces cut off to you at your request so I'll have some smaller mats to put near the sewing machine. I'll add some trim pieces around the edge of my table top to keep the mat from shifting. The shelf below gives me a place to put all my small totes filled with scraps and fat quarters, trash can and added a few hooks for my larger rulers so they're near to grab.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:15 AM

I have the JoAnn's table like you linked to, for at least 20 years now. It is ideal for me, I'm 5.2".
Old 04-30-2014, 05:28 AM

I had one like the one on the first link. It was wobbly and it squeaked. Storage under the table was very difficult with the weird angles of the supporting legs. The banquet table would be a better choice, imho.
Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
I use a table like this - they're also called 'Banquet' tables with a set of bed/chair risers like these. Much cheaper and before I had my quilt room, I used to keep the table folded in the bath - it's really lightweight.