Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Magazine Subscriptions >

Quilting Magazine Subscriptions

Quilting Magazine Subscriptions

Old 04-30-2014, 07:22 AM

It all depends on where your interests lie. I like magazines that focus more heavily on techniques than patterns so I get Quilting Arts and American Quilter by subscription and buy most issues of Quilters Newsletter off the rack.

If you, as a beginning quilter, want more patterns and projects, browse through a good bookstore magazine rack and find the ones that suit your taste and skill level. It's a very individual choice, so look at them all before you decide!
Old 05-01-2014, 02:59 AM

I buy a quilting magazine once in a while if there is something that interests me because I get too many food magazines as it is and, apparently, have a hard time throwing them away....
Old 05-01-2014, 03:07 AM

Thank you for posting the question knitwitrosie, love the name as I was wanting another magazine subscription.

I have just placed an order for the Missouri star quilt block magazine as it looks reasonable, being bi-monthly and I love the idea of a magazine WITHOUT adverts!
Old 05-01-2014, 03:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by beaglelady View Post
I like Primitive Quilts magazine.
Me to. I just renewed my subscription. More then just quilts.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I like Quiltmaker and American Patchwork & Quilting.
I agree. I use to subscribe to them ALL but now I am down to two. The American Patchwork & Quilting and The Block. I still buy The Quilt Sampler that is out a few times a year on the newsstand. That one is a MUST for me.

Last edited by nygal; 05-01-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:56 AM

Dropped all my magazine subscriptions a couple of years ago because they are so full of ads and also so expensive. I did recently subscribe to Block and will continue that one. There are many, many free patterns on the internet and you can print or save only the ones you like. Also the tutorials on U-tube are amazing for quilting, especially the ones from Missouri Star Quilt co. and they are free also. I also avoid all the quilting sites which push memberships, don't see the advantage.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:17 AM

Hi Jess! I started out just like you - a sewing background, but had never made a quilt. If you are interested, just send me a private message and I will send you some older quilting magazines for free.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:18 AM

Quilts and More is a great one - easy but trendy quilts and small projects. Also American Patchwork and Quilting is a favorite - always classy classic quilts. There are tons out there but if you're just getting into quilts these are great places to start.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:07 AM

When I was a new quilter, I received Quick Quilts. Since then, I've tried several that are quite good but, if I find I'm not making anything I see, I let the subscription lapse. At present I don't take any magazines because they tend to take up space where I can put fabric! Plus I can find almost any pattern I want online for free. If you are just learning, try to find a guild that does some teaching or some workshops that will help you with those things that make your work both easy and help with perfection in what you are trying to do. Not that it ever can be perfect but we should be trying to keep points on stars, make seams meet, pressing--that sort of thing--that a new quilter should learn.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:26 AM

I have a full bookcase of quilting magazines as well as books and I can't remember the last time I took one out. There are so many free quilt patterns on the net and most manufacturers have freebies. Don't forget your local library. Ours here have most Australian quilt magazines.
Welcome to the Quilting Board and to quilting. You'll find you can get an answer to almost anything here and that there is no such thing as a stupid question on QB