Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Names >
  • Names

• Names

Old 06-22-2014, 09:11 AM

My older, less expensive machine is named Penny, because she cost me pennies, and it was an old fashioned type with the knobs on the front, and my quilting machine is Violet, since she is so pretty and welcomes me every time I "get the itch" to sew and DH treats her with respect, it is his mother's name, (not sure if it is respect for the machine or fear of me if he gets too close. Lol!) Violet even sews sideways! Both are Brother machines, tough enough to last, and well made enough to survive having me as an owner. Lol!
    Old 06-22-2014, 09:25 AM

My Featherweight is called Hector. My Janome is called Janome :-)
    Old 06-22-2014, 10:05 AM

My 1937 Singer 15 is Ms. Mildred after the previous owner who was the mother of a friend

My 1957 Singer FW is Bowser because he is a tough little puppy and Bowser is the surname of the person who rescued him, brought him back to life, and sold it to me

Computerized machine has never been named.....and I don't know why? Think its feelings are hurt? I'll have to think about this.
    Old 06-22-2014, 10:39 AM
    Power Poster

Some of mine have names...I run out of names after my 15th machine...
    Old 06-22-2014, 10:53 AM
    Power Poster

My Baby Lock is called "Quilla" and should she not behave she would be dubbed "Quiltzilla" (that has not happened). My Sweet 16 is "Trudy" and I have no idea why. It just fits.
    Old 06-22-2014, 11:53 AM

I forgot some. My pre 1950 Necchi is Sophia. She is named because she has made a quilt. She was the only machine in the house that would FMQ when the 301 blew her cords. Oh, a 1970s Montgomery Wards is Miss Fancy because she has some zigzag stitches. Almost as perfect as Miss Elna's and a few I like better. My shiny black 15 clone made by MW is Fiona because she's trimmed in shamrocks.
    Old 06-22-2014, 01:34 PM

this is sooooo funny. I never thought of naming my machine... I unfortunately only have 1.... I will have to think about this.
    Old 06-22-2014, 02:00 PM

Yea, it's fun to name your machines. They are, after all, my best friends, as I spend so much time with them.

My main machine is "Sunshine," who is a Bernina 230. My main serger is "Ben," short for "Benevolence" (my boss practically gave him to me to start my home business), who is a Bernina 800 DL. My 60# vintage Kenmore is "Carol," who is named after her previous owner, who I never met, but who raised an awesome son, and the both of them are great examples of love, endurance through the hard times and service to others. My 1901 Singer treaddle is "Grandmother," it belonged to my Great-grandmother, who expected us to call her Grandmother, not Grandma. "Max" has a big "M" on his left end, and is my Mercury (Juki) industrial. My back-up serger is a 40 year old White, and his name is "Frank."
    Old 06-22-2014, 02:09 PM

My 1957 99 is Basil...my grandfather's name who bought it for me when I was 13. 1975 Touch N Sew is Betsy after my grandmother who would have loved her. My newest, BL Aria is Corinne (nicknamed Missy) after my Aunt who taught me to sew when I was 8 or 9 and purely by coinsidence (sp) was purchased on her birthday.
    Old 06-22-2014, 02:50 PM

The only ones I have named are ones that were my Mom's. She had two Kenmores so they are Ken 1 & Ken 2. She had a very small Singer Serger that I named Elsie after her Aunt Elsie that loved anything very small. Her other serger is That Darn Serger because it had no book and is a challenge to thread. The first machine she had (that I know about) was a Vigarelli purchased in 1949. It is olive green so I call it Olive Oil.