Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • buying new printer..which one? >
  • buying new printer..which one?

• buying new printer..which one?

Old 01-18-2015, 07:09 AM

I used to be a die-hard Lexmark owner however, they stopped making them for home printers so I was unable to find ink cartridges. I have for the last year and a half owned a HP that is an e printer which I absolutely love because I can print from any source. I also have to purchase the XL cartridges because you go through them faster when printing on fabric. I do really like the things I can do easily on it like 2 sided printing without me turning the paper which I always put in wrong.
    Old 01-18-2015, 08:06 AM

I'm a die hard Brother MFC fan. When I had a home business I needed the all in one scanner, printer, copier, and fax. It's a laser printer and the toner cartridge lasts forever. I also have a Brother ink jet printer with scanner and copy functions. I don't use it because the ink seems to dry up after one or two uses. I never thought to print something more frequently to keep it flowing. I'll have to try that.
    Old 01-18-2015, 09:16 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by SPAGHETTI8888
    I also have an HP 3 in one. And like it. If you have EQ7 its a must so you can scan your fabrics into it
    It's easier to find a thumbnail of the fabric and import the picture into EQ7, don't even need a scanner. I usually take a picture with my phone and import that for my older fabric. Also I take close up of the fabric in the store and import the picture of fabric I think I may like in a quilt and play with it in EQ before buying.

Last edited by Onebyone; 01-18-2015 at 09:19 AM.
    Old 01-18-2015, 10:21 AM

No advice, only a comment about how expensive ink cartridges are. I've re-bought my printer about ten times by now, through the cost of ink cartridges. What a racket!
    Old 01-18-2015, 11:38 AM

I have a HP that I use for everything I do printing on fabric with it all the time and it does a very good job. However mine is about six years old but still going strong.
    Old 01-18-2015, 11:46 AM

Please check hpinstantink.com. It is an ink replacement service for HP printers. This is what I was talking about earlier. Check this and you will know what I am talking about. I have had it for over a year now and have absolutely no complaints whatsoever. I am just a customer/quilter/grandma/frugal/ lady and I checked this over and I think it is great. Check it out. It is a lot cheaper than buying the cartridges from other stores. When you read the story about InstantInk you will find out that the cartridges hold more ink. Only thing here is that you have to have an HP Envy. So, again, Good Luck! Edie
    Old 01-18-2015, 12:55 PM

I'm no help on this and am so glad you asked this question. I went ahead and ordered an HP 4500 Envy. Thanks Edie for your info
    Old 01-18-2015, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by GEMRM
    Mine is an HP and it does a good job. I use it to print on fabric for quilt labels as well as regular paper printing - I use the XL refills too - I hope they're more economical but I don't really know if they are.
    Ditto. Have the HP Photosmart and XL refills.
    Old 01-18-2015, 02:25 PM

Default printer

Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier
    I need to buy a new printer mainly used with quilting. Something price wise with ink..Want to enlarge, decrease and also print pictures. Eventually I will get a new computer [waiting for something past the windows 8] Do I get an ink print or lazor(sp) mind is a blank today! Brand and model would be helpful. I would love any hep you can give me. Thanks!
    I have two Epson's a 410 in my studio - it's small and fits on the bookshelf, and an 810 in my den. That one will print double sided, and print on printable CD's - both are are All-in-one models - scan, copy, print and the 810 is fax. Ink is reasonable, usually can buy on sale and lasts if you get the XLg cartridges. Colors are true- amazing pictures , nice letter printing. I also have a HP Photosmart, but when one cartridge is out, it refuses to print with the others even just the black until the cartridge is replaced. Epson warns you the cartridge is low, then out, but will print without if you are in a pinch. I have a Brother Laser Printer which I use for B&W - very fast, cartridges run about $100 but last a long time.
    Old 01-18-2015, 02:34 PM
    Power Poster

I'm knocking on wood. Have had my BROTHER for some time. Only prints black and that's ok. I don't do color prints. I do know if you don't use it enough the ink will dry up. Really like mine. I can tell what the problem is when the beeper goes off. Usually, it's me. No paper and if it isn't in there right it will jam.