Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mimimum investment  to start quilting ? >

Mimimum investment to start quilting ?

Mimimum investment to start quilting ?

Old 05-13-2015, 11:13 AM

If you want to take it all the way back to the way Grandma did it, you need cardboard for templates, a pencil to draw them and to trace the shapes onto fabric, scissors to cut the templates out and scissors to cut the fabric. Then you will need thread and needles to sew the fabrics together. You can use empty cereal boxes -- cost -0-; a #2 pencil -- cost less than 25 cents; paper scissors -- a couple dollars at the dollar store. The most expensive item will be your fabric scissors. You do not want to skimp on those, so figure $25+. A spool of Gutterman 100% cotton thread will run you about $3 and needles will run you $1 for 12 (or $2 for the John James Big Eye needles). So total cost to start would run you less than $30 for your tools, plus the cost of your fabrics and batting. Patterns are available for free on the Internet.

Of course, I don't know anyone who wants to trace and cut out templates and fabrics by hand, and very few quilters I know do hand piecing. So you will need a self-healing mat, rotary cutter, and ruler to cut your fabrics. Then you will need a sewing machine and thread for sewing the pieces together. You will need a good pair of scissors and a pair of small snips for clipping threads. And you will definitely need a seam ripper.

Quilting is like every other hobby I have had. You get out of it what you put into it. I started quilting in 1999 with a sewing machine I had purchased in 1971 for $75. I bought good tools (a self-healing mat, an ergonomic rotary cutter, rulers with clear black lines [I hate the yellow ones] and good scissors) that weren't the most expensive, but weren't the cheapest on the rack, either.

You need to make a list of the items you need, surf the web and start comparing prices. JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby always have discount coupons. Check out the sale bins on Missouri Star Quilt Company and Quilt In A Day. Look at Amazon.com Be sure to figure in the cost of shipping, too. Some sites require a certain $ amount before they waive the shipping costs.

If you think this will be the only quilt you'll ever make, don't go to the expense of purchasing your tools if you don't have to. Find a friend who quilts and ask them if you can borrow their tools.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:03 PM

the cost of a machine aside (used $50 up to crazy numbers!), you can make your first quilt pretty cheap. Considering you will probably keep it yourself and it is a learning experience, use fabric you have or can get cheap - sheets, old cotton blouses etc. Use a flannel/thin fleece blanket for the batting backing ($5 at target). What you do need to purchase new would be a mat, ruler, rotary cutter and scissors. a 50% coupon at Joanns is a good deal. I would also get a seam ripper - we all need that! - a neutral thread (I like a taupe or grey), a small ruler (like a hem gauge) pins and needles. This would be the basics that would help the most. Then you can keep adding things along the way. I am also assuming you already have an iron - almost as important as the sewing machine!!! The 2 most critical components don't cost anything, but are often the most difficult. You need to develop patience and learn to not be overcritical of your work. Something many of us continue to work on daily.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:36 PM

Check the internet for free beautiful patterns and tutorials on how to make a quilt, how to use cutters and supplies, the amount of information is endless. Read this quilting board also for all kinds of help. Start small like a simple lap quilt of 4 patch then branch out to more advanced patterns. It is wonderful therapy if you have patients and don't easily get discouraged.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

Check WalMart.com for the prices of quilting tools - you might be surprised - some of their regular prices are less than Jo-Ann's even with using a 50% off coupon.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:51 PM

So glad I read this. Nice to know I wasn't the only person that had to buy a sewing machine because she wanted to make a quilt!
Old 05-13-2015, 03:20 PM

I wanted to add that you can find good quality fabric at garage and rummage sales also, unless you are the type to use only "collections" of designer fabrics, but I have found so much at garage sales that DH is thrilled when I do, cause he knows I am saving a ton of money. Most of my stash has been aquired this way since I went on disability. I will suggest you wash any and all fabric found this way, since not everyone is a picky as I am about used stuff not being clean to my standards, (or new for that matter.) I can actually state truthfully that except for the fabric I have bought at the LQS, most of my stash was around a dollar per yard. Second hand stores are another resource for fabric or clothing to recycle.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:54 PM

OP you can also google frugal quilting tips. In between that and the members of this forum you'll get a ton of great information.

There are so many great members here with a wealth of knowledge

Just about any problem you might encounter-it can be about the quilting process or even a misbehaving sewing machine-will be met with lots of helpful advice and encouragement

This forum is full of kind hearted quilting experts!
Old 05-13-2015, 04:42 PM

I made my first quilt about 2 years ago and prior to that, I had no sewing experience. I bought most of my supplies from Joann's during sales or with coupons and spent about $280 to make a lap size quilt.

Joann's
Sewing machine: ~$100 (on sale)
Cutting mat/ruler/rotary cutter set: ~$30 (50% off)
Batting: ~$10
Straight pins and safety pins: ~$8

LQS
Fabric: ~$100
Thread: ~8

Online:
Walking foot and 1/4 inch foot: ~20
Old 05-13-2015, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
justflyingin - those are beautiful quilts!
Oh yes, you always make such beautiful quilts, justflyingin.....

This has been a fun thread to read, thanks for starting it

Last edited by oksewglad; 05-13-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:18 PM
mac

You could also put out a message on Freecycle and asked for a sewing machine that is in good condition. You don't pay for anything on Freecycle, you just need to go to their site: freecycle.org. They will ask you where you live and you go from there and sign up for your area. You can also ask for sewing supplies and fabric. You'd be surprised what you can get from freecycle. I've personally have given away 4 sewing machines on freecycle.

By the way, you can also give things away on freecycle. A great way to purge your house when you don't have time to take things to the thrift stores. It is amazing what things people will claim. Believe it or not, since I have been with freecycle I've seen people give away 6 featherweight machines and 3 pedal machines. I've never been fast enough to get one though.

Regarding the sewing machine: you don't neccessarily have to use a sewing machine. Do it the way our great grandmothers did -- by hand and if you really want to get be authentic like our great, great, great grandmothers sew by candle light. LOL