Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Juki TL2000qi -- just ordered at Amazon (good price!) >
  • Juki TL2000qi -- just ordered at Amazon (good price!)

• Juki TL2000qi -- just ordered at Amazon (good price!)

Old 09-08-2016, 08:42 AM
    Power Poster

I bought my last two machines from Amazon. I won't go through a dealer again.
    Old 09-08-2016, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by McGargantuette
    Patricia Drew, bakermom, and Jeanne S, I am pretty excited about this! If you have any particular suggestions for accessories you like for this machine, I'm all ears.

I feel a bit guilty and silly buying a new machine when my first one (Janome 7318) is only a few months old and is such a nice little machine, and since I'm only on my second quilt!!! But I'm liking quilting so much, and I coveted a machine with a big throat, needle up/down, and a couple of other features when I bought the Janome to test the water. At that time, as a beginner, it seemed like overkill to spend a lot on a machine. Since then I've been reading a lot about different machines and started zeroing in on this model. I kept my eyes peeled for a good used one on Craigslist etc -- by the time I found this one I knew it was a good price and jumped on it. I'm a little concerned that the speed will be a bit much for me but I'll manage!
    You can always use a backup machine. Those of us who sew a lot have to have the backup because eventually your primary machine will need service.
    Old 09-08-2016, 10:00 AM

SLbram17, I’m considering keeping the Janome 7318 just as you suggest. Up until now, I’ve never really needed a sewing machine at all for day-to-day living, and would just take a garment to a tailor for alterations and hand-sew the occasional hem. But now that I have the Janome, and especially since it has zigzag and stretch stitches, I may just keep it around. Alternatively I could try to sell it on Craigslist, but I doubt I’d be able to sell it for much --- I just don’t think many folks are looking for home sewing machines these days.

And Onebyone, I know what you mean. I bought my Janome from Amazon, and now the Juki. I feel very very ambivalent about it though. On one hand, Amazon offered great savings to me, enough to offset my qualms about spending so much $$ (to me, at least) on a new hobby. But I really really hate myself for not patronizing a LQS. But with kids in college and a mortgage to pay, I just can’t justify spending the extra hundreds of dollars to buy the machine locally. (Plus there really isn’t a good local Juki dealer for me.) Quilting is a specialty hobby, and there aren’t many LQSs out there. Buying through Amazon decreases the LQS’s customer base, especially since Amazon is apparently able to offer such significant machine savings over the LQSs, which have to pay for store rentals, employees, and overhead to keep their doors open. Obviously, Amazon may run many LQS/dealers out of business (just like Barnes & Noble and Amazon did to our local book shops). The best I can do right now is to buy accessories and fabrics locally (or from other, smaller online sellers).
    Old 09-08-2016, 10:20 AM

Yes, saw the New condition description as well. Not sure where like new came in. https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new
    Old 09-08-2016, 10:56 AM
    Power Poster

and doesn't have the piece that pulls away from the needle area to make it easy to sew a cuff or pant leg (why can't I remember what that's called?!?!!?).
    free arm
    Old 09-08-2016, 11:38 AM

Free arm -- oh yeah! How could I forget that? Thanks Prism.
    Old 09-08-2016, 03:12 PM
    Power Poster

[QUOTE]
    But I really really hate myself for not patronizing a LQS.
    Didn't bother me at all, it's my money. I won't buy a machine from any place that does not have a return policy. Dealers allow returns, they will get my money.
    Old 09-08-2016, 04:06 PM

SLbram17, I’m considering keeping the Janome 7318 just as you suggest. Up until now, I’ve never really needed a sewing machine at all for day-to-day living, and would just take a garment to a tailor for alterations and hand-sew the occasional hem. But now that I have the Janome, and especially since it has zigzag and stretch stitches, I may just keep it around. Alternatively I could try to sell it on Craigslist, but I doubt I’d be able to sell it for much --- I just don’t think many folks are looking for home sewing machines these days.

And Onebyone, I know what you mean. I bought my Janome from Amazon, and now the Juki. I feel very very ambivalent about it though. On one hand, Amazon offered great savings to me, enough to offset my qualms about spending so much $$ (to me, at least) on a new hobby. But I really really hate myself for not patronizing a LQS. But with kids in college and a mortgage to pay, I just can’t justify spending the extra hundreds of dollars to buy the machine locally. (Plus there really isn’t a good local Juki dealer for me.) Quilting is a specialty hobby, and there aren’t many LQSs out there. Buying through Amazon decreases the LQS’s customer base, especially since Amazon is apparently able to offer such significant machine savings over the LQSs, which have to pay for store rentals, employees, and overhead to keep their doors open. Obviously, Amazon may run many LQS/dealers out of business (just like Barnes & Noble and Amazon did to our local book shops). The best I can do right now is to buy accessories and fabrics locally (or from other, smaller online sellers).
    For sure keep your Janome. I purchase my Juki Exceed at the same time as my Juki 2010. I use them both all the time. The 2010 is my workhorse and my Exceed is computerized with all the fancy stitches,etc. Your Janome will be not only a back up machine you will use both. I learned long ago to not worry about local quilt shops. I purchase most of my fabrics online and find LQS sell the same thing for an average of $2 to $3 per yard more. Same with rulers, etc. They sell at suggested retail price and you can get them on ebay for less, no tax, and free shipping. Believe me they make a bundle on classes alone. Its called free enterprize! lol
    Old 09-10-2016, 02:49 PM

Pretty excited about this, so forgive me for sharing my good fortune -- Amazon just told me my Juki TL2000qi has shipped and should arrive on Tuesday!
    Old 09-10-2016, 07:23 PM
    Power Poster

I'm a little concerned that the speed will be a bit much for me but I'll manage!
    The speed can be set from slow as a turtle to quick as a jackrabbit!