Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Building a stash >
  • Building a stash

• Building a stash

Old 12-04-2016, 05:08 AM

Be careful focusing on cost of fabric. It is more important to learn about quality of fabric. Some of the first quilts I made were learning experiences that way. The quality of fabric really matters as you work with it and how it wears.

Everyone is right. The stash grows more quickly than you can imagine. One of my friends swears it breeds in dark places and multiplies.
    Old 12-04-2016, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by zozee
    Have you heard that some fabric is male, and other is female, and they have adolescent hormones? Once you're out of sight and earshot, they party, and then one thing leads to another. Before you know it, there are fabric babies all over the place. Better to "arrange marriages" (buy just for each project) and watch the family grow over time, than to be running a fabric brothel and cotton daycare.
    So true! Thanks for the laugh this morning zozee!
    Old 12-04-2016, 05:43 AM

Be aware that "stash building" can turn into "shopping" VS actually making quilts. Buy what you need for the quilt you want to make. If it makes you happy buy an extra yard. But remember if you made one quilting using fabric A, how likely is it you will use that same fabric in quilt B??
    Old 12-04-2016, 06:11 AM

Like mom-6, I built my stash from WalMart but that's been several years ago when they had a bigger variety. I shopped the remnant bin there and at Joanne's so I was getting pieces 1 yard or less. Look for good blenders, not focus fabrics. And, yes, they do multiply as time goes on and you get caught up in this whole thing! And those kids' prints that are so cute--the kids get older, too, so those baby prints just kinda sit there waiting for a project. Use 'em quickly!
    Old 12-04-2016, 06:12 AM
    Swap Hosts

Look at your local Freecycle. There is always fabric available.
    Old 12-04-2016, 06:24 AM

I'm really surprised by the number of folks here recommending not buying simply for the sake of building a stash! I never have - have always only bought for projects. I have a very modest stash - mostly just enough to use for test blocks. But that is fine by me as I'm not fond of scrap quilts.

But I'm just surprised by the many responses in this thread simply based on the number of other threads here on QB regarding the various suggested purchases for the specific purpose of building a stash. As well as the many threads regarding the size of some quilters' stash.

Interesting differences.
    Old 12-04-2016, 07:09 AM

I am a new quilter and had no idea what a "stash" was until I went to my first quilt club meeting two years ago. I thought I could NEVER become a quilter because I had no "stash."

So I made it my mission to obtain this stash as cheaply as possible so that I could begin making quilts as soon as possible.

HOW I COLLECTED MY STASH:

1) I told everyone I knew not to throw away any fabric; just donate it to me. You will be surprised at how many people throw away huge bag loads of fabric remnants. You will also discover that not everyone uses cotton fabric. I keep it all since I use the crappy fabric as my test blocks so I don't use up my good fabric.

2) I shopped every daily deal online that I could find. These websites were my opening screens each morning when I turned on my computer. I only purchased when the deal was really, really good. Also, get on the sites' mailing lists to be notified of promotions.

3) I went to estate sales, garage sales, moving sales (talk to your neighbors before they put their stuff up for sale) and fabric shop going-out-of-business sales. And don't forget the thrift stores (unfortunately our thrift stores have nothing left since I live in a community that quilts a lot).

4) I no longer throw away old clothes. They can be cut up and included in quilts.

5) Whenever an opportunity comes up to do some charity sewing, I join in. At the end of the sewing the leftover fabric is given away to whomever wants it.

Building a stash is not as difficult as it seems in the beginning. And... the stash GROWS FAST! LOL
    Old 12-04-2016, 07:33 AM

My stash is made up of mostly fat quarters because I don't have a lot of space and they are so versatile. If I need bigger cuts for a project I get them as I go but get more than I need. I currently have a bureau of crafty items and a couple of the drawers have fabric in them. I also have a fabric bin type thing full of FQ. It suits me just fine. Do you know how much fabric you want in your stash or do you just want a stash? Does that make sense? Hope this helps.
    Old 12-04-2016, 11:00 AM

I have a stash room, as in a room full of fabric, and I have learned that having all that fabric, and only being able to make 2-3 quilts a year is just silly. I have been thinning it out, just to see that it all ends up in quilts instead of a second hand store. Neither of my DDs is into sewing, so there is only one niece who sews and she only wants to make kid clothes so far. I read a thread on here about someone having to clean out a quilter's stash after she had passed, and I just don't want to leave that burden on my DDs. I am also beginning to make pillow cases, so some is being up cycled into those. If you have problems getting new fabric to play with and pet, then a huge stash makes sense, but if you are as slow as me, a smaller stash in colors that make you happy, makes sense.
    Old 12-04-2016, 11:18 AM

I'm a fan of the remnants bin at my LQS as well as the one at Joann's (just make sure to read the labels on the fabrics at Joann's to make sure you're getting what you want, they also sell home dec and fashion fabrics which may not be suitable for the quilts you want to make).

I like to make scrappy/modern quilts, so remnants suit me just fine. I also buy yardage in blenders, blacks, whites, some solids and some of Paula Nadelstern's fabrics--all of which work well in my type of quilts.

When I'm buying yardage that is not intended for a specific project I tend to look at it in terms of how versatile it is. If I can see it working in a number of different kinds of project or is in a color way that I need, then it might go home with me.

However, you might want to get some quilts under your belt to see what kinds of things you like to make before committing to building a stash.

Rob