Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which do you dislike more? >
  • Which do you dislike more?

• Which do you dislike more?

Old 08-15-2017, 03:13 PM
    Power Poster

No, I don't mind squaring up the blocks because that ensures a better finished top. I also don't mind hand-sewing the binding on, although I have recently been converted to a machine binder with flanged binding (when it fits the project).
    Old 08-15-2017, 04:49 PM

I guess I am a really shabby quilter. Frist of all, after I cut the pieces and sew a 1/4 inch seam I don't measure. If something is off I ease until the seams match, usually not much. I slap on a border, and a back. Then I sew that binding on. My Mother (God rest her soul) used to finish my bindings. Now I do it and I love relaxing and stitching. You can't see my little stitches and you don't see the 1/4 inches either. If I fussed and measured like that I'd never finish a quilt!
    Old 08-15-2017, 11:09 PM

Well, I'm really a rank amateur when it comes to making quilts. Just about all of the pieced block quilts I've made have been log cabins, and the finished blocks are relatively large. I do square up the finished blocks before I assemble the quilt top. I prewash all my fabrics (for health reasons) and I don't starch my fabric. No, my quilts are NOT perfect because I'm not perfect. I was always taught, both in garment making and anything else I've ever done, to do the absolute best you can do, and don't stress about it. I do hand-stitch my bindings, and I've done a little bit of hand quilting (a couple of baby quilts). I haven't had any complaints, and since most of the quilts I've made have been for family members, I'd better not hear any either! LOL!
    Old 10-06-2017, 11:21 PM

I am ok with squaring up blocks or units as I go, even though I am careful as I piece and when I cut. My issue is binding, I am always in too big of a hurry to finish the quilt and get impatient with it.
    With piecing, you may have to move your needle over. Check and see if your sewing machine has a 1/4" stitch as many do.
    Old 10-07-2017, 05:41 AM

I agree with QuiltyReese..I love Jenny but on her tutorials the quilting is done quickly but not necessarily accurately. I'd have to guess that she does not make the finished quilts shown.
    Old 10-07-2017, 11:05 AM

I agree with Anniequilts. and an addition : Do not trim them down. Just make them fit, match the seams and stretch. When you quilt it it will all work out.
    This is assuming that b
    efore cutting out pieces, I have washed, ironed the fabric on hot after spraying with Magic or starch. This will take care of any shrinkage.
    Then
    they are all cut (die cut , rotary cut, or scissors) to the correct size before you start piecing. What I found that helped is working on that quarter inch seam and being consistent. If the finished piece in a block is smaller than 1 1/2 " I measure from the last seam out, not the seam allowance in. (like paper piecing, I'll measure out 1". draw a pencil line for the stitching line, and stitch there.) Sew all the little pieces together to make the block, THEN press the block as a last step. If all the pieces are tiny in a block, I might even stitch 2 or 3 blocks together before pressing, always staying away from the next seam to assemble. This gives me a little more "play" to stretch/ease for a perfect match. Hope this helps....Jane
    Old 10-07-2017, 12:42 PM

May I recommend Sally Collins' book The Art of Machine Piecing? It is awesome. If you adopt only a few of her practices you will see a marked improvement in your machine piecing skills. I did, and I am so much less frustrated now.
    Old 10-07-2017, 01:01 PM

I do my very best to cut accurately, sew accurately and trim each block to achieve as accurate quilt as I can. I dislike squaring up a quilt and find that when I take my time, I have significantly less squaring up to do, and that means it will load better on the long arm too, making quilting it easier as well. It doesn’t mean I like to do it though ��, it’s just what works best for me.
    Old 10-07-2017, 01:28 PM
    Power Poster

My first thought when this happens is the pressing. A block can be stretched or creased at the seams.

Second is if the fabric is washed before it is used. If not, steam or spray starch can affect the fabric.

I will go as far as setting seams with a very light bead of Elmers Washable School Glue if I think there will be problems with certain fabrics. This works great for strip sets, HSTs, joining blocks into rows and rows into finished tops.
    Old 10-07-2017, 04:19 PM
    DJ

I figure that's why I took all those stretch-and-sew classes so many years ago. I use the same technique to make my quilt squares line up. Seems to work fine, but I'm not the perfectionist some quilters are. I would definitely hate the process of having to square up all the blocks. I don't think I could ever get them square anyway.

I also don't try to square up a quilt when it's finished. I try to cut the corners at 90 degrees, but I don't stress over it. When thrown over a bed, who cares?! My wall hangings seem to look fine, too.