Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Getting Through the Tough Parts >
  • Getting Through the Tough Parts

• Getting Through the Tough Parts

Old 11-05-2017, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    That is what chocolate is for. For picky parts I give myself a goal like I will do 2 or 3 and then have a reward. You can do this and it will be awesome when finished!
    Tartan and I must be twin sisters from a different mother!!! Chocolate, emergency chocolate, at all times is in the sewing room. If I really start grumbling, I will have a chocolate and turn up the happy music instead of beating my head against the wall.......even a cup of coffee or soda might help my mood to deal with the hateful task.
    Old 11-05-2017, 09:56 PM

c
    Tartan, that's exactly what I was gonna say. I read the post and thought, "Chocolate." As in , "first eat the chocolate, and then do the things." LOL It can rewire a brain and put you in a better mood.

Other times I set the blasted quilt aside but give it a statute of limitations for sitting, and make an appointment with it. "I will work on this on Wednesday night from 7:30 till 8." That way it's got a "shelf life" of x number of days, and might stop nagging you.
    Old 11-05-2017, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
    I give myself permission to start something new and exciting, and then "force" myself to put in some time periodically to get it done. I've had a few quilts get started, and then I've gotten to a sticky part so I take a break and piece an easier, fun quilt.
    This is what I do too. But I write it on the "do List", just move it down a priority or two. Do something else that is a little more fun, then get back at it. I live by the elephant for dinner rule, one bite at a time....but it is ok to eat something else sometimes.
    Old 11-05-2017, 11:33 PM

The tough parts for me are usually making decisions. When I come to some point where I start to waffle about whether I really want to use the border I planned or maybe do an entirely different color, that's where I get hung up and the project becomes a UFO - sometimes for years! - until inspiration strikes. Another sticking point is if I discover some large mistake that has to be frogged and redone. Groan. If I have a specific plan for the quilt, such as a wedding coming up, usually the deadline is enough to prod me past the difficulty, and in hindsight it almost always turns out to be much less of a big deal than it seemed to be.

I do tend to save myself a lot of grief by not even attempting anything as difficult as your whole cloth work appears to be! Your efforts will definitely be worth it in the end.
    Old 11-06-2017, 04:48 AM

Quiltingshorttimer, I see what you mean, thanks. Lovely work.

Watson
    Old 11-06-2017, 09:22 AM
    Power Poster

Anytime I have a big project I am dreading, I set a timer and work on it that amount of time. Then, if I don't want to stop, I continue. But, if I am still not enjoying the process, I stop. It helps me no matter what I am doing. Cleaning the garage is another one I use this method with. After a few timer sessions it is amazing how I get over the hump and have it almost finished. I have to admit, it really makes you feel good to have worked on it and encourages you to get it finished.
    Old 11-06-2017, 12:50 PM

Put on some really good music, set the timer for...say, an hour and go to it. An hour won't hurt you. You'll get through it. Tomorrow, do it again.

~ C
    Old 02-12-2018, 10:56 PM

An interesting audio book in my headphones really helps me get into the zone. With my new phone I can listen to NPR do that's good, too. I helps me keep at it instead of getting antsy. And there's usually chocolate in the drawer of the 301's cabinet, and Delicious Red in the box in the kitchen. Ya know, in case of emergency, lol.
    Old 02-13-2018, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom
    That is what chocolate and wine are for! Also take a break for a day or 2 if you can. I am working on a quilt with a difficult block. I need 8 of them. I made 3 that are nearly perfect. I can't make them any more. I have ripped so many times I have ruined the fabric. It is all bias edges. I had to order more fabric. I threw it aside for a few weeks. Hopefully I can do them now. I am using my precious stash of Kaffe Fasset fabric for this quilt. I have another quilt I want to use it for and I can't start that until this one is finished.
    Just curious...what block pattern ends up,with all bias edges? Can you maybe cut the blocks to end up with on grain
    edges- might help in not having to rip out? Just a thought.