Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Tools you thought were extravagant and now can't live without...... >
  • Tools you thought were extravagant and now can't live without......

• Tools you thought were extravagant and now can't live without......

Old 04-17-2018, 01:27 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by AnnaPP
    I don't regret a dime spent on my Accuquilt Studio and Dies. Best quilting investment I have ever made. Most regretted investment was a Longarm, just not my cup of tee.
    I love my Go and dies. It's as important to me as my sewing machine. I too invested in a LA and didn't like using it at all. Same with my embroidery machine. I made a few designs and thought what for?
    Old 04-17-2018, 02:44 PM

For me there are two things; the slide-lock rulers.. I too have the 3 piece set; and my Martelli Ergo rotary cutters. I just got the cutters and already can't live without them! They are wonderful for my hands and wrists!!
    Old 04-17-2018, 02:57 PM
    Power Poster

Bloc- Loc rulers are not to be touched by anyone but me. Love them. My piecing has never been more accurate.

Elmers Washable School Glue. Holds every seam in place, tricky or not. Holds binding with no pleating while sewing. Totally washes out of quilt.

Crayola Washable Markers for marking. The lightest touch of these markers is good enough to see and all colors totally wash out.

Aurifil Thread for piecing, light/ med gray best on most colors.

peace
    Old 04-17-2018, 06:13 PM
    Power Poster

Oh I forgot about my Block Lock rulers. I have to have them. Ditto on the glue, markers and thread. LOL I have to have them all.
    Old 04-18-2018, 02:17 AM

It's not a tool per se', but fabric! Years ago, I didn't used to pay much attention to fabric quality, and since I had a super-tight budget, I just bought whatever was cheapest. I would never have paid $10 a yard back then. Whew! That was outrageous!

As time went on, I'd occasionally find a deal on quality fabric, and was amazed by the difference. It cuts better. It sews better. It turns out a much better product. It didn't take long for me to turn into kind of a fabric snob. Although I'm willing to pay more for quality, I still look for deals on "the good stuff"! ha ha

Tool-wise, I only buy name brand cutting wheels for my rotary cutter. I tried those Harbor Freight ones once. A pizza cutter would've worked better. LOL!

On the other hand, there are a few "extravagant" items that I regret buying. A Creative Grids Starburst 30 Degree ruler, for example. It was almost $30. While it does make a nifty block, it wastes soooo much fabric. Another one is that Fiskars ruler with the built-in rotary cutter from years ago. Mine never did cut right to begin with, and then the stoppers fell off and got lost, making the rotary cutter mechanism go right off the end if I wasn't paying attention. I never really felt my Purple Thang was worth the money, either, even though it was only a few dollars. It broke a couple of months after I got it. I only ever used it to poke out corners, and a crochet hook does that just fine, so I never replaced it.
    Old 04-18-2018, 02:34 AM

The absolutely most extravagant thing I have EVER purchased (sewing or other) is my top of the line Janome 15000. Went to an embroidery class at a LQS and we used the 12000. Very impressed with how it sewed, embroidered, ease of use, etc. So, on an impulse asked how much. In about 45 minutes, I was the proud owner of the 15000 and a beautiful cabinet just for it. Put it on the easy payment plan, no interest for 4 years, Over $10,000 and have not regretted it for one minute. Didn't even question myself on the way home. Just couldn't wait to get it home and start sewing. Will make the final payment in September and still don't regret that purchase.
    My family thought I was nuts, but what do they know!!! Just told them I was spending my children's inheritance. lol
    Old 04-18-2018, 03:56 AM

I do love my Roxannes glue. I use it for everything. Even though the bottle is tiny and kinda expensive you use so little it lasts a long time. I also love the Bloc Loc rulers. I always considered them to be a waste of money, something un-necessary. I used someones at a sewing workshop and OMG loved it. I sat right there and searched for one on my phone and bought a 3 piece set.
    Old 04-18-2018, 03:56 AM

rotating mat...my Steady betty ironing bd...my 2 Gidget adjustable height for machine tables and my all time favorite My Babylock Sashiko Machine that only does a hand look stitch...LOVE IT....
    Old 04-18-2018, 04:10 AM
    Power Poster

Onebyone- thanks for the heads up on the rotating mat at Craftsy. I just bought it with that $25 gift card I got so it was really cheap!!!
    I'm another one with no interest in a LA. When I need one quilted I just send it out. I know I wouldn't enjoy one.
    Old 04-18-2018, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by hray
    I don’t know what brand my rotating mat is, but it’s in the pile for our next yard sale. It has a lot of give in the middle, which means that cuts get all wonky, and I hate using it. Is the OLFA mat solid (well supported) all the way across the middle?
    Yes, the 17" OLFA rotating mat is well built, and solid. There is no "give" when pressing down with my rotary cutter.