Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Another telemarker call this morning >
  • Another telemarker call this morning

• Another telemarker call this morning

Old 07-10-2018, 06:02 AM

I keep getting calls stating "according to our records you are eligible for a lower interest rate on your mortgage than what you are now paying." If they really had my records they'd know I have no mortgage! Or the ones that say they have information that I requested, and when I ask how I requested it they hang up! But what really infuriates me is when I get a call and without identifying who the are or what they want they ask me to hold! Do they really expect to sell anything to people who are already annoyed with them ?
    Old 07-10-2018, 06:14 AM
    Suz

An old friend received a call from a group who sealed the walls and floor of your basement. He talked with them for about 1/2 hour seeming interested in their service, on and on, and finally confessed that he did not have a basement. Wasted their time and he had a great laugh.
    Old 07-10-2018, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana
    Do note push the #2 when asked to be taken off their list......this tells their system that your number is a valid number....you responded.
    I made this mistake, too, thinking they would stop calling. Instead it doubled the amount of calls that I was getting. They must be calling all numbers in a sequence and when one presses "2" it lets them know they got a real person and they start calling you from a new number.

It got so bad on my home phone that I turned the ringer off. I can use my home phone to make calls out, but I don't hear any calls coming in. It didn't take long for the few friends that would call my home number to be reminded that it was never answered and use my cell number.

Nomorobo: https://www.nomorobo.com/ works by hanging up the call after one ring, but I don't want to hear even one ring. It makes me stop what I am doing and is still an interruption. I much prefer turning the ringer off entirely.
    Old 07-10-2018, 06:48 AM

I got a call for an extended warranty on my car. It would only cost a little over $3,000 for 4yrs coverage. When I asked if that started after the new car warranty ended. No, but your car is at the end of the factory warranty soon. Me laughing saying the car dealer that you say gave you my number didn't tell you we have a new car from a different dealer. They don't call back
    Old 07-10-2018, 06:58 AM

I don’t answer to any number not attached to someone I know. If I’m unsure,I call back....usually it’s not a working number. If I talk to a scammer I ask them if their mother knows they are cheating people. I don’t hear from them again. The Medicare folks..I tell them I’m going to turn them into the feds for fraud.
    Old 07-10-2018, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH
    That's hilarious!!!!!!
    Lately I'm getting calls from all over the country. I didn't realize how popular I am
    I'm glad it shows the state so I know not to answer it.
    This does not always help either. When people move they retain their phone number on their cell phones. Gone are the days you had specific prefixes for specific areas of town where you lived. Now your friends may be calling but still show an out of state call.

Also it depends on what cell tower the call is bouncing off of. My brother used to call me (lived 50 miles south of me) and the town that showed up on my caller ID was 50 miles north of me. Interesting.
    Old 07-10-2018, 08:22 AM

Now that I think about it I haven't gotten any telemarketer calls lately. Got them for a bit when I got a new phone though kept the same phone number. My rule of thumb is, if I don't recognize the number calling me I don't answer it. If its important they'll leave a message and I'll call them back.
    Old 07-10-2018, 08:24 AM

Love so many of the ways everyone uses to try to eliminate the “robots”.

This is what I say, “Hola?” (Evidently the robots are not programmed for Spanish—weird). :-). And the robot hangs up. One time I did get a live guy who spoke Spanish. I talked with a “very broken English accent”. We went back and forth with me saying “nooo-nnnn-tennnn-doooo”, each time he asked what language I wanted to speak in I told him “Englee”. He finally hung up on me and hasn’t called for awhile. :-)

Last edited by Ellen 1; 07-10-2018 at 08:27 AM.
    Old 07-10-2018, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by grannie cheechee
    I tell them to call my DH at his office. I then give them the non emerg. number for the police or a number to Walmart. It seems to work for awhile. LOL
    But is it really fair to Wal Mart to tie up their line when customers might be calling? As for the police non-emergency line especially, that really does not need to be tied up with telemarketers when citizens are calling. If just 5 people refer telemarketers to the non-emergency number, think of the amount of time that takes away from being able to answer and provide service to legitimate concerns.
    Old 07-10-2018, 10:35 AM

I got 7 calls in one week from roofing/remodeling company. Finally had enough. Went on line and got the customer service phone number, called and let him have it. No calls in the last ten days. Why do we have to resort to this?