Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JoAnn's vs Hobby Lobby >

JoAnn's vs Hobby Lobby

JoAnn's vs Hobby Lobby

Old 07-07-2020, 04:18 PM

I love hobby lobby. I love that I can easily find coordinating fabrics there to whip up a quick quilt. They also have Kona solids and other fabrics that are always in stock that are basics that I keep in my stash always.

I like the quality of HL too. The stuff from joanns is all over the place quality wise and their coupon games are maddening. At HL, every other week all their cottons are 25% off every other week ..I can use a 40%off coupon on one cut. Today I bought 6 yards of fabric for 40% off. Good deal!

also, at our joanns, if you ask for a yard, they maybe give you 36.5 inches. When washed I’ve wound up short more than once. HL is much more generous on their cutting margins and I’m never short there.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-08-2020 at 03:39 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-09-2020, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AngelaS View Post
. . . . .

also, at our joanns, if you ask for a yard, they maybe give you 36.5 inches. When washed I’ve wound up short more than once. HL is much more generous on their cutting margins and I’m never short there.
As long as the cutter cuts at least 36.0 inches (straight across), I will not complain. I do re-measure my fabrics when I get home. I am happier with "more" extra than less, but I do not expect to get "more" when I buy produce or meat.

I expect some shrinkage when buying fabric, so I try to remember to factor that in when buying cottons. The only thing is, I do not know ahead of time if there will be more shrinkage widthwise or lengthwise. Usually, fabric shrinks more one way than the other.