Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Canned peas >
  • Canned peas

• Canned peas

Old 04-21-2023, 05:22 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    To me canned peas look rather gross, not even a lively color green. My mom would put them in a soup or stew in a pinch if we had any in the cabinet which was rare. Mom and Dad would blanch and freeze any vegetable they could.
    I keep canned pinto beans, canned tomatoes (diced, stewed, sauce, paste) some with added spices or onions, garlic, roasted)
    Our favorite canned tomato product is Contidina, adds such a nice flavor to my Spaghetti sauce.
    That brings back so many memories - aside from the canned peas, which we eat. Not to be confused with frozen or fresh. Different of course. Like them all. But the Contadina tomato sauce! My mother was not a good or creative cook. One of the things she made for us kids was Mueller's spaghetti (before it was pasta, haha) with a can of Contadina, only that brand, straight from the can. Turns out it became a comfort food for my youngest brother (now deceased) and my youngest son (also deceased) and me. I still turn to it now and then. No other brand is the same.
    Old 04-22-2023, 04:50 PM
    Power Poster

Contadina!!! My Italian Mom used that brand in making her wonderful sauce. She used the tomatoes and the paste. I haven't seen it around here ( I don't live where I grew up) but my husband does most of the grocery shopping.
    Speaking of my Mom- my husband and I both make her meatballs EXACTLY the way she did but they don't taste the same!
    Old 04-23-2023, 06:30 AM

Canned peas...blech! I remember when I was a very, little girl, my Mom served them. I could not leave the table until I ate them all, so I hid them under the rim of my plate, when no one was looking. My older sister, who I've never gotten along with, lifted up my plate and loudly announced my "pea hiding crime." I sat at that dining table all evening, staring at that ring of grey-green peas on the table. I hate canned peas!
    Old 04-24-2023, 12:49 PM

Yeh. Getting children to eat canned peas is not going to be a winning situation so why make everyone miserable. There were more important battles; no/no/no hitting or biting other people. Now that’s essential.