Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Uh-Oh, Something Went Wrong >

Uh-Oh, Something Went Wrong

Uh-Oh, Something Went Wrong

Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by kimbee
here is my first log cabin if you would like a copy of it let me know, it is just strips and it can be done in a day.
Hi Kim Bee,
Your log cabin is gorgeous! I would love your pattern. Completing it in one day might be a bit too much, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by mimisharon
Oh, my! It's wonderful to see. But disappointing when you don't add the 1/4 inch to each section, too. I'm thinking you could change the print size for your printer and that may help or not. If it was a pp pattern it's going to make a huge difference in size.

Did you cut all the strips already? You can salvage it, make it to the size by making more blocks like you began with. It's going to make a beautiful quilt.

Hugs with understanding,
Sharon
I've cut about a 1/4 of the strips. I'm hoping I can get more of the same fabric. Increasing the print is a great idea. I'm going to try that tonight too, along with all the other suggestions received. The guidance I've received from everyone is just wonderful.

This is my work out the kinks week.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:15 AM

Don't be too hard on yourself. We all make a mistake once in awhile. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by anglgrl
I like it too, But when I make something for the first time and its small like that I use it for a pot holder. Then Im still using it and continue on, It makes me feel better when I can see my progress as time goes on.

:lol: I was just telling my husband that it felt like a potholder.
Another brilliant idea!
Old 01-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
I want to learn to quilt soooooo bad I can't stand it.
Isn't this exactly what you are doing? So you are learning some things the hard way. That's OK. I pretty much guarantee that you will not make that mistake again.

Have fun with it and don't get discouraged.

Can you make the small ones into a mini or a wall hanging?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
Hi Quilt Mom,
I think you're right. I added 1/4" seam allowance for the width, but not for the length. :shock:

I'm going to try it again tonight.

I want to learn to quilt soooooo bad I can't stand it. Even though my first two blocks are small, they're still rather cute!

Thanks for the help...I have you on standby.
Hon, you need to add a 1/2" to each piece...across the width and the length. If it measures on paper as 1" X 4" you would cut it 1 1/2" X 4 1/2" :D:D:D

I like the idea of making a few more small pieces...and making a matching wall hanging :D:D:D
Old 01-07-2010, 03:12 PM

This is what is known as a happy little accident. Good learning experience and all is not lost. There were a lot of good suggestions here. I'm sure one of them will make you a happy, though maybe smaller quilt!
If this is your first venture in quilting, I am jealous. You will probally become a top notch quilter in no time....Keep up the good work.
Ditter
Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 PM

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge with me. I'm getting a late start tonight, but I'm off to try a few of the suggestions received today. :thumbup:
Old 01-07-2010, 06:24 PM

I am in agreement with those who said for your first try you did a great job! Whatever this turns out to be, you should definitely keep it around to compare to in the future. I'm willing to bet that you'll see improvement with even your next endeavor!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:10 PM

First off, you picked the right block to "mess up" on. That block can be added to infinitely until you get the size you want.

Second. Get a copy of Elenor Burns "Quilt in a Day" for Log Cabin. You will learn so much bout how to avoid simple mistakes like seam allowances. You will learn how to look at a pattern and piece it the most efficient way. You will see the many, many ways to put Log Cabin Quilts together. My favorite is "Barn Raising".

Lastly, don't worry too much about how little you know about sewing. I never sewed a single stitch until I started my first quilt (a Queen sized Yellow Brick Road). And I have the added disadvantage of being male *L*.

My first Log Cabin Quilt:

tim in san jose

Sevens
[ATTACH=CONFIG]64014[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-64009.jpe