Dogs and Flea Pills

Old 02-10-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Sounds like the Peanut Butter might do it.

Every night before bed she and I usually share a big fat peanut butter and jelly sandwich or we will have a heaping spoon of peanut butter each. Its a daddy daughter thing :mrgreen:

Billy
Something hubby also suggested ... does your dog do tricks for rewards?? He taught me how to make the idea of the pill or whatever as a FUN, NEAT thing! And, if they have to work for it, for some reason, the reward is ALWAYS good! <g>
Old 02-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

Frontline does not work here...you are SOOO right! I'm gonna have to check into the pill you are using. I've seen it at the vets. I've always had good luck with butter or cheese, but usually in a "play/reward-cookie" session. I just slip in the pill in whatever I have. Hot Dogs sliced thick enough to cover the pill work too. Just cut a little slit in it and poke the pill inside.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:30 PM

I've always opened their mouths push the pill to the back of the throat (on the side of the tongue) and it's gone.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:32 PM

My little Frenchie, Sammy the Bull, doesn't like meds. When I took him to the vet for an emergency back problem on Christmas Eve, they suggested Pill Pockets. His heartworm med is large and he won't eat it. I put it in that and he just swallowed it. Very easy. I would suggest letting your setter try the treat by itself first. They are a little pricy but I only use it once a month.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:04 PM

Your trick of putting it down the throat and rubbing the neck is probably your best bet. The vet told me that if you wrap a pill in meat or cheese, that the pill will not digest, it will pass through their little bodies before it is digested, therefore, your $18.00 pill is wasted money and no benefit. He did suggest peanut butter. They all like that
Old 02-11-2010, 04:04 PM

I just switched to the flea pills because for some unknown reason my dog had an allergic reaction to the liquid. She just turned 18, been using the liquid you put between their shoulder blades for most of her life, so don't know what that was all about. But anyway, she's been known to take a pill, then spit it out 10 yards in the other direction. And no way is she fooled by lumpy cheese. So now I just do what you do, wait til she eats, flick the thing down her throat, hold her snout and rub her neck til I'm sure it's long gone. They can be such stinkers.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:23 PM

As these pills only have to be given once a month, I hide it in half a tsp of ice cream - it goes down smoothly and the coldness disguises that there is a pill. Good Luck.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:27 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Mine takes her meds with peanut butter, she loves it.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:46 PM

When my Rottie was really sick before she died, the only thing she would take pills with was ice cream..peanutbutter, cream cheese, even raw burger didn't work. When she was well, you could toss anything at her and she swallowed it whole! Ice cream let us get her meds into her and keep her comfortable til the end.

About fifteen years ago they had a flea pill called Program. We didn't have a dog then, but we did use it for cats and it worked great. It deposits in fat cells subcutaneously and the adult fleas get it when they bite, then the eggs they lay do not form properly and do not hatch. Ours were indoors and in 3 weeks we were flea free. I kept them on it a while, but it is a pesticide you are feeding your pet. Fortunately we could just keep them in the house after that.

Many years ago we had dogs and gave them brewers yeast. No fleas, but some pretty rank gas!! :lol: :lol: It seems we found some brand of food that had the yeast in it and way cheaper than flea meds. Probably safer too.

Good luck..I'm allergic to fleas and will get huge red itchy welts if bitten and the little boogers seem to love me! They're just no fun :D
Old 02-11-2010, 09:30 PM

WE HID THE DOGS MEDS IN A HOT DOG. JUST PUSH IT IN A WAYS AT ONE END OF HALF A DOG. FOUND ADVANTAGE THAT YOU CAN GET AT THE VETS WORKS GREAT FOR FLEAS. THEY HAVE IT FOR CATS OR DOGS AND GOES BEHIND THIER NECK WHERE THEY CAN'T SCRATCH AT IT. IT ABSORBS INTO THE SKIN. REPEAT EVERY 3 MONTHS.