Dogs and Flea Pills

Old 02-11-2010, 09:47 PM

When we lived in Oregon we had major problems with fleas. My Roxy was in such an itch, bite, scratch mode that she had a mohawk on her tail. When we moved to Arizon, presto - no flea problems. Now we are in SoCal and I am seeing the little buggers again. Doesn't seem to affect our Choc Lab as much but Roxy is having a really tough time. I feel so bad snapping at her all the time to stop scratching. I'm going to try the salt thing on the carpet and I have to admit, I don't wash their beds as often as I should. We do give them brewer's yeast tablets with garlic (thanks wally world) but my husband recently read somewhere that too much garlic isn't good for dogs. Our Choc Lab is pretty good about taking her meds (she has a bad knee) and its funny she'll take everything except than itsy bitsy tweeny weeny 81 mg aspirin - i don't know how she knows what it is - so I just pile up her brewers yeast, pain med and aspirin in my hand and she eats them like treats before I feed them in the morning. Roxy has to smell them first bbefore she eats them and as for my my cats, one will eat them like treats and the other turns her nose up at them. Funny how they are, just like kids.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:06 AM

We tried that liquid flea prevention stuff on the back shoulder blade area of our Pekingese, she had such a reaction to that. Poor baby, it was worse than the flea problem. The brewer's yeast, how much of that is used each time and is it everyday? The borax, is that sprinkled around the house and dog bedding?
Old 02-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Banned

roll the pill up in pate/cheese or cooked tongue----it must be concealed BUT give some of the "wrapping" mixture first without any pill in so that when the dog thinks "yummy" it will be very eager for the one with pill in--------usually works here and I have 7.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Marguerite
My little Frenchie, Sammy the Bull, doesn't like meds. When I took him to the vet for an emergency back problem on Christmas Eve, they suggested Pill Pockets. His heartworm med is large and he won't eat it. I put it in that and he just swallowed it. Very easy. I would suggest letting your setter try the treat by itself first. They are a little pricy but I only use it once a month.
What a poppet ,would love a frenchie, they look like pugs with stick up ears----magic.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:52 AM

I did some research this morning online for Comfortis, the flea pill. That stuff can be expensive (upwards of $100/6) but I found a site (petmedsnmore) that is reasonable ($57/6). We have two big dogs (60 & 90 lbs) and two cats (both over 15 lbs). The Comfortis is not okay for cats but we are considering it for the dogs. Has anyone who has used it had their dogs get sick (vomit) at first? Apparently this is a common side effect?
Old 02-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quilter2B
I did some research this morning online for Comfortis, the flea pill. That stuff can be expensive (upwards of $100/6) but I found a site (petmedsnmore) that is reasonable ($57/6). We have two big dogs (60 & 90 lbs) and two cats (both over 15 lbs). The Comfortis is not okay for cats but we are considering it for the dogs. Has anyone who has used it had their dogs get sick (vomit) at first? Apparently this is a common side effect?
That the pills I give my dogs and they work wonderful!!

But they have to have some food on their tummy before taking it or they will vomit. I have only had one vomit that is because the little piggie grazed her kibble bowl without me knowing it and I loaded her up on food after getting the pill in her.

Billy
Old 02-12-2010, 01:11 PM

Fleas are a miserable problem here on Oahu. For the last year, we have been using a pill for our little "pocket" dog. I believe it's called "Confortis" and is meat flavored. This is the only thing we've found in the 13 years we've been here that really works. Makoa scarfs it up quick. Sometimes getting her to take pills is tough, but when I put a little peanut butter on my finger and the pill on top of that, she licks it off my finger and LOVES it. The pill goes down the hatch, no problem. Might try that.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by hulahoop1
Fleas are a miserable problem here on Oahu. For the last year, we have been using a pill for our little "pocket" dog. I believe it's called "Confortis" and is meat flavored. This is the only thing we've found in the 13 years we've been here that really works. Makoa scarfs it up quick. Sometimes getting her to take pills is tough, but when I put a little peanut butter on my finger and the pill on top of that, she licks it off my finger and LOVES it. The pill goes down the hatch, no problem. Might try that.
Maybe I shoulda read the last entry before hitting the "enter" button.....
Old 02-12-2010, 07:58 PM

A kennel worker friend of mine shared a tip for administering pills to dogs that has always worked for me. Find a special soft treat that your dog loves (cheese, garlic bread, hot dogs). Cut up THREE pieces of this treat. Put the pill in the SECOND one and then this is how it goes down . . .

Show (tease) your dog that you have a treat. Make sure you have the second one ready in your other hand. Then give the first one while they see you are ready with the second one. Most dogs will gulp them down but the smart ones will carefully chew the first one to show you that they are on to you . . . When they decide that the first treat was clean and free of contraband, they will be more likely to Whoof down the second one). Make sure you give the second AND third one quickly (think "beer chaser") so that they are so eager to get the third one, they swallow the second one up in order to eagerly get the third.

Also, I don't use topical treatments or pills to prevent fleas. I have been using Zodiac Foggers for 20 years and work great with a small price and big benefit. I've lived in Florida, Texas, and California . . . and know bad flea seasons. I was a dog groomer for over a dozen years and am not in "flea denile". I decided that treating my house and yard was more cost effective and safer for my family than chemical put on or in my pets.

The treatment I use works for 7 months and kills not only the adult fleas but prevents the eggs in your home from hatching.
I rotate the active ingredient chemical used in the yard (as fleas do become resistant) every 5 weeks and fog my house twice a year. Cost for foggers is $16 - $32 (depending on how large your house is). PM me for more details.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:04 AM

We're in Mid Tn, capital of ticks and fleas. We use Advantix 55 on our English Springer Spaniel, and he is flea free. If he has to take a pill, I put it in a glob of cream cheese, and he gobbles it down. They are as bad as kids when it comes to taking medicine.