Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quick question about when quilts are judged at a show. >
  • Quick question about when quilts are judged at a show.

• Quick question about when quilts are judged at a show.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:26 AM

when i enter quilts in a show i put down everone that worked on the quilt for instance my aunt does the machine quilting for me if i hand do part of the quilt i also say that on the entry for instance binding hand sewen ect you will get bett judgsment by doing that rather than just entwering it give yourself credit and also other that worked on the quilt
    Old 03-09-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
    quiltmom--I checked and if someone else quilted it, it can't be in the machine quilted category.
    I guess I just meant that if you personally haven't actually quilted your quilt, you need to be clear when you enter it, so you don't take credit for (or are penalized for) someone else's work. It seems like before professional LAQ became so commonplace, this wasn't as much of an issue.
    Old 03-09-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR
    the one thing I was marked down for was not stitching down the miter at the corner of the binding. Never thought of it
    What do they mean "miters stitched down"? Do you pivot and stitch up to the corner?
    Old 03-09-2010, 02:41 PM

on the backing issue:

the new jersey quiltfest showed several great quilts with backing made of pieces left over from the fronts. they were big chunks, not little bits, and they all matched the front. they were haphazard looking, not seemingly planned in any way, like frames or anything.
    Old 03-09-2010, 08:56 PM
    Banned

I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to wish you good luck. Penny.D
    Old 03-09-2010, 09:37 PM
    Power Poster

Go for it!!! Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Old 03-10-2010, 12:56 AM

put as many as you can in just like a few said i think it depends on the judge that day and also i to have learned a few things from the comments they leave on the back of my tagged quilt
    i have never heard of sewing your form on the back of your quilt , that is a new one to me at our state fair we are given a 2 piece ticket when we enter both tickets have a number the divsion and your name o them then the ticket stub is pinned on the binding of the quilt and you must have the stub to get your quilt back and we are asked that what ever we bring our quilt in to drop it off that we take it back home because as you check it in the ladies wearing gloves hang them up right then and there while you wait
    Old 03-10-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sewslow
    the one thing I was marked down for was not stitching down the miter at the corner of the binding. Never thought of it
    What do they mean "miters stitched down"? Do you pivot and stitch up to the corner?
    on french binding you sew the miter in but when you turn it to the back the judge stated that stitches were to be put in the miter itself....hard to explain, but I never do that and still don't

:thumbup: its not going to come apart but then I don't enter anything anymore
    Old 03-10-2010, 06:13 AM

They mean that you need to invisibly sew the little bit of overlap on the mitered corner, so it lays flat and exactly a 45 degree angle to the binding, and not have that little pulled-open thing that sometimes happens if it's not stitched down.
    Old 03-10-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    They mean that you need to invisibly sew the little bit of overlap on the mitered corner, so it lays flat and exactly a 45 degree angle to the binding, and not have that little pulled-open thing that sometimes happens if it's not stitched down.
    thats a better explanation,

:thumbup: