new quilter

Old 03-23-2010, 03:55 PM

hi, welcome to you also. I already have been so welcomed that i feel i can get an answer to most any question. tammylou
Old 03-23-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by tammylou
hi edie, THANK YOU so much. I really needed that. My husband is very supportive and is a good sounding board for me. He took me for a long ride in the country, really cleared my head and then I came home and got your mail that reaaly lifted me. Thanks again and Thanks to your Mom!! Tammylou (which is actually my name and my mothers I lost her four years ago,she was a young 69 and I'm 52. It is so nice to meet you. Have a nice evening. Tammy
I would have a nice evening if it wasn't for this block I am working on. It is called "Flying Shuttles" for my Sampler Quilt (which block I am making twice for two different quilts). I am having a terrible time. I just may pack it in and have a caramel roll! The block is from quilt.com. I get most of my blocks on line and love them. quilterscache.com is a good one also. Anyhow, I have said this before and will say it again - I am the only person in this whole world with a Fons and Porter Ergonomically Designed Seam Ripper that is dull! It was expensive as far as seam rippers go and I am sure there are no seam ripper sharpeners in this world, so I just plug along. Well, it'll get done - I'll quit now, I think, and start up again tomorrow afternoon after we get back from the orthopedic surgeons office where my OAO (short for one and only - better be - we are hitting 50 years in June) is going to have stitches out from surgery last week to put a plate and 8 screws into his arm. Never, she said, NEVER land on the ground FOOSH - Flat Open Out-Stretched Hand. Rams your wrist bone right up the arm. Gross! So hopefully, I can relax a little bit. He was just released from the oncologist after five years of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Cured - no more cat scans, no more visits with an oncologist. This is his second bout - he had Leukemia in 1985 and now he is totally cured. 25 years - can you believe it?
So, that is one of the reasons I sew - keeps my mind clear and free from worrying.

You have a good evening too. My father passed away in 1983 when I was 45. I still miss him terribly - so much to talk to him about. I just look into the sky, find the biggest, puffiest cloud and talk to him. It works! Edie
Old 03-23-2010, 04:59 PM

Hi Tammy and welcome from Maryland,, I am a new quilter as well, have made a few things but still lots to learn.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:28 AM

Hi Edie,Ijust got home from work and it was so nice to get your mail! You put a smile on my face and hope in my future quilting. You make me feel as though I'm not a lost cause yet.It sounds like you and your husband are very blessed. Although it sounds like a painful deal with his arm. Of course if he is like most men, he'll love you waiting on him and pampering him,or does that go away with age, my husband and I will be married 37 years in Dec. We met when I was 13 and married when I was 16. Everyone said it would never last. We have three grown sons and one beautiful granddaughter. He's my best friend,he makes my half whole. hope your husband gets along well,I'm going to try and find that block of yours on the website you gave me. I just bought a Strip tube ruler and I'm getting a pattern book in the mail,probably tomorrow. I guess you buy jelly rolls of material for projects(new at this one) Have you ever tried them? The lady at the quilt shop assured me I would love them because there is no squaring up. Let me know if you have tried the ruler. have a nice evening,,Tammylou
Old 03-24-2010, 11:30 AM

Hi Sharon,I believe there is never enough time to learn all quilting. There are so many things out there I am just amazed! But the bright side is we'll never lack for a new project. Tammylou
Old 03-24-2010, 12:24 PM

Hi, TammyLou - I don't buy them mainly because of the size of the roll - widthwise. I always buy either remnants, bolt ends and fat quarter or fat quarter bundles. The way I quilt, the more different designs I have, the happier I am. I just got an envelope full of little sample fabrics with a note from my very dear friend, "If you want any of these, let me know how much. It's all yours for the taking. Will bring when we have lunch!" Is that a super friend or what? I have known her over 50 years, since we were in high school and she is such a dear friend. I need 15 yards of this and 23 yards of that - only kidding! But the samples she sent me are so sweet. Oh yes, the husband. Had his stitches taken out of his arm, also part of the palm where the did carpel tunnel surgery because of the break. So like the ortho surgeon said, do it now so you won't have to do it later. He can scratch again! He is a happy little camper! Have a good day - I am going to play with my fabric samples. Edie
Old 03-24-2010, 01:44 PM

Hello and welcome from Texas :-)
Old 03-24-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Martina
Hello and welcome from Texas :-)
Hey, Martina - our dogs must love quilts, eh? I have already made a block with the material. It is called Flying Shuttles. Really snarky. Again, thanks, it is going in the cancer quilt for Breast Cancer. Will talk again. Edie
Old 03-25-2010, 01:38 AM
Banned

Hi Tammy and welcome to the board from Oregon. Penny
Old 03-26-2010, 02:29 AM

hi edie,hope you and your husband are doing well. I have a question that i hope you can help me with. I took a class on how to run a longarm and I'm going to rent time to actually finish my first bedsize quilt, and they said I have to have the top and bottom squared up. How do you do that. I'm not to get with measurements. Probably kind of a dumb question huh? Thanks Edie. Tammylou