That Darned Cat!

Old 03-23-2010, 05:38 AM

I have a cat question. I have split foyer house. The windows on the bottom are level with the house. My kittys like to sit and look outside. In the middle of the night we get other cats who are allowed outside coming up to the windows. I fear for my screens and if the windows are closed I get males who mark on the window. I put up a fence but as we all know cats are good at getting where they want to go. Is there anything that would repell them and still allow my kittys to look out? I have tried just a spray bottle but my husband thinks I will be carted off for running out in the middle of the night and chasing cats.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:53 AM

plant marigolds around the windows? I've read that cats don't like the smell.

Originally Posted by jljquilter
I have a cat question. I have split foyer house. The windows on the bottom are level with the house. My kittys like to sit and look outside. In the middle of the night we get other cats who are allowed outside coming up to the windows. I fear for my screens and if the windows are closed I get males who mark on the window. I put up a fence but as we all know cats are good at getting where they want to go. Is there anything that would repell them and still allow my kittys to look out? I have tried just a spray bottle but my husband thinks I will be carted off for running out in the middle of the night and chasing cats.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by jljquilter
I just leave my windows cracked about an inch. Just enough for them to enjoy the night breezes but not so much they can get out or tear up my screens. Not sure bout the outside cats and windows. Our outside cats are wild but have never done anything to the windows when out cats are siting there.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:43 AM

In your pic where the cats are bird hunting there is a kind of bunk bed style hammock thing. What is it called and did you buy it for the cats. We have 2 Norwegian Forest cats who are insiders.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by GladGrams
In your pic where the cats are bird hunting there is a kind of bunk bed style hammock thing. What is it called and did you buy it for the cats. We have 2 Norwegian Forest cats who are insiders.
Its the favorite part of a larger toy for cats. Got is at walmat for around $20 a while back. This part was on one side and the other side was 2 layers high and boxed in with red canvas. they loved it, but this is the favorite part so I got rid of the taller half. It was getting old and ratty looking
Old 03-23-2010, 01:01 PM

We have two cats that do similar stunts. I was using pins to post things I wanted to keep on the wall......every morning I'd come in and the pins were gone! One day I caught him.....Dasher was pulling the pins out and dropping them on the floor..one by one....DANG cat!

Now the new things is stealing yarn out of my yarn bag. So I lock it up and gave them a small ball of yarn. Every morning we check to make sure where the yarn is before getting coffee....there's a chance we're booby trapped. One morning the lamp went flying because they'd strung the yarn around the lamp and across the hallway about 4" off the ground!!!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:44 PM

I found you never give a cat an empty spool for a toy. I put a lot of empties in a cat cube with many other cat toys but found my little female was getting on the shelf under my machine and pulling the spools and empty bobbins off the spool holder inside the door off. Ever put your shoes or boots on and find a bobbin inside??? LOL she also puts her paws inside a plastic barrel of sewing stuff and gets the spools of thread out of there too. Maybe sewing stuff is a "girl" thing!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 PM

LOL

Margie
Old 03-23-2010, 09:47 PM

our youngest cat, Pepper, likes to swipe little things,
she especially likes to sit on my shoulder and take my
earring out of my ear and then runs like crazy with it and
me right behind her. She swiped my car keys once and I
couldn't go shopping. I found them 2 hours later, now I
keep them IN my purse. We've started to call her "klepto kitty".
Old 03-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Power Poster

We have a cat a little like Leon, but a longhair tabby...his name is Tigre and he only emerges for love and pats and vast amounts of food. He only makes one major toilet trip a day (outside)...gets it over and done, has a quick scratch on a tree and back inside. Laziest cat we have ever had....our old puss Sarah (16) is a lithe, busy tortie...she looks at him with total disdain, she even prefers the company of the dogs to him!