Pit bulls

Old 04-13-2010, 09:43 PM

The dog in the original Little Rascals was a PB Terrior. They have been around for a long time.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:42 AM

DON;T like them,would never in a million years TRUST one.Also goes for rotweillers....
Old 04-14-2010, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Beth33
Next door neighbors brought home a pit bull puppy from the pound. Would you be freaked? Or do you think they get a bum wrap?
i think they are bred wrong and bad owners. i had a rottweiler that was sweet as pie..now my JRT,he is a nipper..and i don't trust him with kids.

do the neighbors have kids too?
you should gently suggest they get puppy training and the dog needs to be socialized constantly.

no dog should be trusted/left alone with children, no matter what the breed.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:07 AM

I have a rott and she is the gentlest dog ever ... she is very well behaved and LOVES people. She loves kids as well and has never tried to hurt anyone.

We keep our dogs in our yard or on a leash ... and I keep all my dogs in the house as folks have a fear of my rott. I can tell you ... she's the best of the bunch and minds the best as well.

I fear that folks would hurt my dog even though she is inside a fence. It's because folks fear the breed.

I've seen and had different breeds of dogs be biters ... you should fear all dogs unless you know them already or own them. You do not know what any animal will do if cornered or if they feel threatened.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:17 AM

I would be leary, but I have two young children. My issue with these dogs is that they are often used for protection and children often act irraticly. They move quickly and the dogs can't predict what they are going to do and therefore think they are a danger and attack. My kids also have no fear of dogs and we continue to work with them about approaching dogs they don't know slowly and asking if they can pet them then letting the dog smell them.

The problem is that they usually go running at the dog and stop about a foot away and then slow downa nd ask. That's a little too close if the dog doesn't do well with kids! We try to talk with them about it and are trying to find a balance but we also don't want them afraid of every dog they see. They do what we ask by askign the owner if they can pet the dog and letting the dog sniff them! Goofy kids!
Old 04-14-2010, 05:28 AM

All dogs regardless of the breed require daily exercise, socialization and training. Too often the cute little puppy pulls at the heart strings and it gets brought home, but the novelty wears off and that puppy is left to it's own devices.

Dogs are pack animals, their owner must accept the role of "Alpha". If the owner does not take that role, the dog will and then you have problems.

Irresponsible breeding has done a lot of damage to the reputation of not just Pit Bulls, but other breeds as well. Put that together with irresponsible owners and it's a recipe for disaster.

Kids don't raise themselves, when we see or hear of kids that are out of control and getting into trouble do we blame the kids...or do we look at the parents? Kids aren't born bad, neither are dogs.

Pet ownership takes time and patience but, the outcome of having a balanced pet is worth the time and effort.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
All dogs regardless of the breed require daily exercise, socialization and training. Too often the cute little puppy pulls at the heart strings and it gets brought home, but the novelty wears off and that puppy is left to it's own devices.

Dogs are pack animals, their owner must accept the role of "Alpha". If the owner does not take that role, the dog will and then you have problems.

Irresponsible breeding has done a lot of damage to the reputation of not just Pit Bulls, but other breeds as well. Put that together with irresponsible owners and it's a recipe for disaster.

Kids don't raise themselves, when we see or hear of kids that are out of control and getting into trouble do we blame the kids...or do we look at the parents? Kids aren't born bad, neither are dogs.

Pet ownership takes time and patience but, the outcome of having a balanced pet is worth the time and effort.
Agreed
Old 04-14-2010, 07:55 AM

There are two shows on cable(?) television about Pit Bulls. One is new, called the Pit Boss. The other, I can't remember the name but it's about a rescue outfit in ?Nevada? run by a woman who takes on Parolees trying to make a better life. Both shows are examples of how most of these dogs are very gentle but some that aren't because of their background. The Pit Boss is a little person who handles dogs that he's not met before; he gets a call about a stray, and he rescues it.

About 8 years ago, I lived in a city know for it's macho types and their propensity to raise dogs for fighting. Evil evil practice!! I will never forgive Vick! People are the monsters, not the dogs.

Earlier today I went to the bank, parked next to a car with an enormous yellow lab sitting in the back seat, nose out the window. I LOVE labs, was raised with them. As gently as I know these dogs can be, I wasn't about to put my hand in the window to pat him. After all, he's probably guarding his territory and doesn't know me. It's a matter of how they're raised, their socialization to people, and knowing the basics of dog behavior. There are as many good stories as bad for any breed of dog. Get to know the puppy!

Sorry for the soapbox. Guess I haven't lived away from that city long enough.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by CraftsByRobin
I've seen and had different breeds of dogs be biters ... you should fear all dogs unless you know them already or own them. You do not know what any animal will do if cornered or if they feel threatened.
Not fear them, RESPECT them. You would not walk up to someone and touch/hug them, why do it to a dog? Animals feed off the energy we project, if you are afraid, the animal will sense this and react to it.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:51 PM

The dog I had for 17 1/2 years was a Border Collie/ German Shepard mix. He had long hair like a BC but the exact markings of the GS...I kept him inside because I didn't trust people. We would take him for rides and when I once left him in the car for a minute...came back and the cop was there threatening to take the dog to kill it. I said that if anyone was dumb enough to stick their arm inside my car without me there...they deserved what the dog did to them. No one ever came forward to say they were bitten...I found out later that someone complained because they parked their car too close to mine. (MY windows were only open about 2 inches and no way could he ever get out.) I then threatened the cops!!! This dog was the biggest baby ever...even after the neighbors yellow lab attacked him!!! Everyone that ever saw my dog said he was Cujo looking out the window....was great for salespeople coming to the door. :twisted:

To this day I'm still not fond of a lab regardless of its color. Just don't care for them since the neighbor dog.

I'll get off my soapbox now...thanks for listening.

P.S. I am the pack leader with our 3 furbabies and they all know it too.