Pit bulls

Old 04-13-2010, 03:19 PM

Next door neighbors brought home a pit bull puppy from the pound. Would you be freaked? Or do you think they get a bum wrap?
Old 04-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

Actually, I don't think I would have a negative reaction. The American Staffordshire Terrier can be as friendly as any other breed if they are raised right.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:26 PM

Bum rap...

It's not the dog..It's the owner who is at fault.
When my oldest son was a baby, his Grandfather had a pit-bull. They were the same age so my son and this dog grew up together. That dog sat no farther than 6 feet away from my son at any given time whether outside or indoors. Nothing or nobody got near him if that dog didn't know them. We never left the dog alone with my son after all he isn't a babysitter. He was a gentle dog and an excellent watchdog.

It's all in how he/she is trained. Any dog can be vicious if raised that way. And never forget you can always count on a dog to be a dog.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:26 PM

Pitbulls were originally bred as nanny dogs and are in fact if raised correct very loving and tolerant dogs. They get a bad rap from all of these people who do things with animals they should not.
Hugs
April
Old 04-13-2010, 03:32 PM

My daughters pit is so friendly that she could hurt you with wagging her tail. LOL
Old 04-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by prezzy
My daughters pit is so friendly that she could hurt you with wagging her tail. LOL
It's funny you should say that. A family we knew back in Massachusetts had to paint the wall in the hallway because their's wagged her tail so hard it got bloody. Friendly girl.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Banned

My neighbor has 3. He has 2 fenced in the yard and 1 in a high kennel. He says the one in the kennel would jump the 3 ft fence but the others wouldn't. I am leary of them as they are not with humans very much just in the yard and they are a pack dog and need an alpha which should be humans. I read all about them. However I do feel safe knowing they are there. There is a ravine behind my house and then a creek and then it goes up a mountain. I don't have any puppy's to bark if anyone/thing would go in my yard but the pit bulls are right there no one would attenpt to go in my yard because of them. My friends DD had a pit she had to put it down last week from cancer, that dog was like a baby. Even though she was 13 when my friends grandbaby came to visit the dog would lay next to the baby's playpen and watch over him. Also my DD ex BF had a Presa canario which are suppose to be more vicious then pits and larger. It was a female and weighed 125 lbs, she was afraid of her own shadow. If a leaf fell by her she would freak out and hide. Joyce loved that dog and so did I. Joyce said when they broke up it was the dog she miss not the boyfriend.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:50 PM

We just had two boys here locally attacked by 2 pitbulls. They had escaped from there backyard, while the owners were present. I admit, they do seem to be automatically judged as viscious,and it has a lot to do with how they are raised. However, just as with every other spcies in nature, there are always a few bad ones..that no matter what you do or how they are raised, they do not have good personalities!! The owners were present when the dogs went after not one, but 2 boys..the attacks were within a block of each other. The boys did not provoke the animals..they just attacked a child who was running and playing in the neighborhood. I wouldn't like having one next door to me...but that is not my call. Here the amount of liability insurance that you are required to carry, along with the leash/muzzle restrictions would be enough to prevent me from owning one.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:53 PM

I would not be freaked. It is a bum rap.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:13 PM

Few years ago my neighbors got one. It was OK with me until their dog got loose and attacked my dog. My neighbors were wonderful about it. They paid for all of my dog's vets expenses and tied up the dog for a few days until they found him a new home. I wasn't expecting that much, but was pleased with their response. Not all Pitt bulls are bad. I have known some great ones. Right now my neighbor has a Boston Terrier just like mine and no soul can stand near that little monster and not get bitten.