Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Anyone out there with Celiac Disease? >
  • Anyone out there with Celiac Disease?

• Anyone out there with Celiac Disease?

Old 11-28-2009, 02:27 PM
    dsj

Tiffany,

My sister and myself have so many food allergies It's overwhelming some times but a friend of ours who was diagnosed with ciliac disease told her if she eats an apple every night it will balance her system. He looks great now and eats an apple every night. It would be worth trying it. She is going through testing now for this disease. Sounds to simple doesn't it? an apple is pretty easy to do and inexpensive too Maybe with an apple no more gluten free food. Good luck to you and remember an apple a day keeps the Dr. away.

dsj
    Old 11-28-2009, 02:29 PM
    dsj

Tiffany,

My sister and myself have so many food allergies It's overwhelming some times but a friend of ours who was diagnosed with ciliac disease told her if she eats an apple every night it will balance her system. He looks great now and eats an apple every night. It would be worth trying it. She is going through testing now for this disease. Sounds to simple doesn't it? an apple is pretty easy to do and inexpensive too Maybe with an apple no more gluten free food. Good luck to you and remember an apple a day keeps the Dr. away.

dsj
    Old 11-28-2009, 02:30 PM
    dsj

Tiffany,

I spelled celiac incorrectly, oops!

dsj
    Old 11-28-2009, 06:21 PM

Try this website:

www.crockpot365.blogspot.com:/80

This gal did a year of slow-cooking in her crockpot every day in 2008. Several of her family members need gluten free foods, so she has some good recipes and sources for products.

If that address doesn't help, try Googling "A Year of Slow Cooking."

Good luck in your search!

Sue
    Old 01-15-2010, 01:56 PM

I have Celiac Disease, Sjogrens Disease, and Fibromyalgia and Chronic fatigue. I have some good recipies. I was diagnosed 5 years ago so I have had time to get some good recipes.

First of all this is the flour blend I use most.
    2 3/4 c. brown rice flour
    1 1/4 c. corn starch
    3/4 c. tapioca flour
    Mix together and store for recipes

This one I use for hamburger rolls, sandwich rolls and pizza.

2 c. rice flour blend
    1/4 c. dry milk powder
    2 T. sugar
    2 t. xanthan gum
    2 t. dry active quick rising yeast (1 packet)
    1/2 t. salt
    1 egg
    1/2 t. vinegar
    2 T. vegetable oil
    1 c. warm water

Mix all dry ingredient then add all wet ingredients and mix on high speed with electric mixer for 3 mins.
    using a rubber spatula spread out onto lightly greased pan in shapes for rolls or in you pizza pan.
    If baking rolls I shape into about 6 or 7 hamburger shaped rolls. Let rise in warm over for 20 mins.
    Then turn oven to 400 and bake rolls for 15 min.
    Pizza bake for 10 mins then put toppings on and bake another 5-8 mins. I live in high altitude over 4000 ft. You may have to tweak this to your area.
    Old 01-16-2010, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
    $20,000 ? Geez, I hope he gets cured. On a different note, fibromyalgia is notorious for skewing test results. Good luck to all of you.
    Yes, good luck.
    Old 01-16-2010, 07:57 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by kasmitty1
    I know this conversation is old, but after reading through I had to contribute.

I've been gluten free since 2004. Had the endoscopy to confirm Celiac. Yes, the diet is not any fun. It's like going to a neighborhood potluck and just sitting there and eating carrots and cauliflower... oh wait, that is what it is.

But I was sick for 4 years and they did not diagnose me correctly, eventually sending me to mental health (military healthcare). It was until after my husband retired, and I got a civilian doc that she saw the warning flags, tested me, and diagnosed me.

I miss pizza, good pizza. And I miss soft chewy bread and Cheez-its. But I found a cookbook --You Won't Believe It's Gluten-Free!: 500 Delicious, Foolproof Recipes for Healthy Living (Paperback) by Roben Ryberg. This is the greatest cookbook for gluten free, in my opinion. EASY recipes, EASY directions, and VERY good meals, desserts, crackers, breads, just about everything.

Quilting has been my release. I sew, sew, sew, and when I'm not sewing, I have to go to the local fabric store.

So even though I'm almost 2 years late in posting on this forum. I hope someone sees it.

It is a really good cookbook. And I hate to cook! :)
    I have been diagnosed with it, but then other doctors said, gluten intolerance.
    To me, allergy/intolerance...if your body behaves much the same way...all the same to me.
    I don't get dog sick, but enough to really affect the everyday quality of my life, so very glad that you didn't let an old post stop you from putting this here!
    It's never to late to get relief.:-D
    Old 01-16-2010, 08:02 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by javin22
    I have Celiac Disease, Sjogrens Disease, and Fibromyalgia and Chronic fatigue. I have some good recipies. I was diagnosed 5 years ago so I have had time to get some good recipes.

1 1/4 c. corn starch
    3/4 c. tapioca flour

2 c. rice flour blend
    1/4 c. dry milk powder
    2 T. sugar
    2 t. xanthan gum
    1/2 t. salt
    1 egg
    1/2 t. vinegar
    2 T. vegetable oil
    1 c. warm water

Mix all dry ingredient then add all wet ingredients and mix on high speed with electric mixer for 3 mins.
    using a rubber spatula spread out onto lightly greased pan in shapes for rolls or in you pizza pan.
    If baking rolls I shape into about 6 or 7 hamburger shaped rolls. Let rise in warm over for 20 mins.
    Pizza bake for 10 mins then put toppings on and bake another 5-8 mins. I live in high altitude over 4000 ft. You may have to tweak this to your area.
    This will be fantastic, IF I can deal with the corn starch in the first one. THANK YOU!!!:D
    Old 01-16-2010, 09:00 AM

I don't have this problem and hope that I don't develop it. I have an aunt and 2 cousins who do have it. The cousins were born with it and it was awful to watch them go to a restaurant. The wait staff would always want to give the little ones crackers and tell my aunt and uncle how cruel they were that the kids couldn't have them. Good luck with things.
    Old 01-16-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    Originally Posted by javin22

1 1/4 c. corn starch
    3/4 c. tapioca flour

2 c. rice flour blend
    1/4 c. dry milk powder
    2 T. sugar
    2 t. xanthan gum
    1/2 t. salt
    1 egg
    1/2 t. vinegar
    2 T. vegetable oil
    1 c. warm water

This will be fantastic, IF I can deal with the corn starch in the first one. THANK YOU!!!:D
    If you can't do corn starch you can use tapioca starch. It is different than tapioca flour. There are many other starches as well. I shop at the health food stores for my flours. It is very expensive but worth it to me. I went without many breads ect for the first year because I didn't know how to bake gluten free. Now I make muffins and breads and brownies ect. Here is another good website that I get recipes from. http://www.glutenfreeclub.com