Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie Question >

Newbie Question

Newbie Question

Old 05-27-2010, 04:50 AM

Well Ihave been quilting for over 40 years.... and I prefer to press seams open on most quilts. There are some instances that I will press toward the dark , but for the most part I like the seams presses open. It typically creates a much flatter block. it makes even machine quilting easier , espically free motion, since there is a more uniform thickness, no "ridge" to get caught up on.
There are time that pressing to the dark will create a desired raised edge.
Quilts I have taken to be long arm quilted , the quilter is always surprised how easily/smoothy the machine moves over the quilt, and I comment that it is because I press open( majority of the time) . I have converted a few quilters on specific patterns to press open, when they see the results.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:26 AM

After reading what the rest of us do for pressing, I think it really comes from practice. You will learn where a seam needs to be open, or pressed to the dark, by doing.

So don't be shy. Step up and do the piecing. And if you find your seam is too bulky after you have pressed it one way, who's to say you can't go back to the ironing board, and re-press it a different way before you sew to the next piece. :lol: That's me - :roll: - re-doing something. It really does not take long, and you learn best by doing!!
Old 05-27-2010, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mandie
I used to always press mine open until a quilting instructor told me that it puts strain on the stitch an may cause it to wear faster. I am not sure if that is true or not but to be on the safe side I now usually press to the darker side unless it causes to much bulk.
I think this is one of those personal preference things. I have a quilting instructor friend who ONLY presses seams open. If it were an actual seam - like in clothing, then there would be some strain. But after it's quilted - especially if it's quilted by machine - the strain is greatly lessened, and the way the seam is pressed is not an issue.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:41 AM

I press to the dark side when the pattern allows it to...The directions on the pattern will do you in most cases. I press open when sometimes doing pinwheels.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Pressing only to the dark, can make for bulky seams in some areas. I try to press so that at the intersections they go in opposite directions, they call this "nesting" the seams together.

Pressing them open eliminates bulk, and really helps like in OBW's (hexagon blocks)

Some blocks I press to the side and then when I put the two halves together, I press that seam open, to eliminate bulk.

Other blocks that have seams going in a circular direction, you may want to press your seams that way too.

Many patterns will give you directions now on which direction to press them :D:D:D

Using the search feature at the top of the page, typing in Pressing will bring up a LOT of topics on this :D:D:D
FINALLY[after 12 yrs]decided to try my clover iron ! what took me so long ?! however oyu press your seam{esp.open !]they are great ! try it ,you'll like it
Old 05-27-2010, 10:08 AM

I have always pressed to one side or the other, then decided to press the seams open on a 16-patch block as part of a patchwork quilt. Those blocks went together so much easier, laid flatter and were easier to press. I think what you need to consider is how you will quilt the finished quilt top. If you plan to stitch in the ditch, then pressing to one side or the other will make stitching in the ditch much easier to maintain. If you plan an overall quilt pattern, seams pressed open will be easier to quilt.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:45 AM

As you can see...there are lots of answers to this question. It really depends on the quilt.

Best thing to do and "what we're here for", especially for a new quilter, is to work on your quilt and ASK this question and other question you have.

We have ALL been there and know how you might feel "like it might be a "stupid" question. In quilting, there are NO stupid questions and, believe it or not, even the experienced can learn something new. It might be something we never did for one of projects.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:45 PM

I am a longarm quilter, so my issue with bulky seams pressed to one side is a bit different. I've finally figured out that if there are more then 4 fabrics (that will be all in one place in a seam, press it open. If you don't you end up with lumps in your quilt where all the fabric is pressed to one side. Stars and pinwheels are the ones where the center seam really needs to be pressed open to prevent the nasty lump. Otherwise, I press to the dark side unless I need to change that to be able to nest the seams to get a good match up without creating 8 layers of fabric in one place.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:29 PM

I used to always press mine open until a quilting instructor told me that it puts strain on the stitch an may cause it to wear faster. I am not sure if that is true or not but to be on the safe side I now usually press to the darker side unless it causes to much bulk.
-------------------------------------------------------
Like someone has already said on this forum, ONE line of stitching is strong enough. Remember, we make our pants back seams with one line of stitching,
then wear it for a long time, sitting on it, witch really does put a lot of strain on
it and No, I'm not gonna put up a picture of me to prove my point, no way.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:23 PM

This is what I've heard, too. Sure makes sense to me that pressing seams open puts a strain on the stitches. I still press open if circumstances call for it though.