Contacts or Glasses?

Old 06-19-2010, 02:40 PM

I wear contacts - extended wear. Hardly ever take them out. I have reached the age that I now have mono-vision. But if I do not have bright light or doing real close up work I still will wear readers. I have a great doctor who keeps a good check on my eyes. I do not like wearing my glasses as all, it is hard to see out of them, especially to read and they are bifocals.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:50 PM

I used to wear contacts when I worked in an office, but suddenly during the last year I worked, I couldn't read the rough drafts or my shorthand from which I was typing. I could type with one hand and use the other to hold the paper up to my face OR: goodbye contacts, hello no-line bifocals. My job disappeared in Dec. of '94 and I have no use for the close-up part of the bifocal and it is, in fact, irritating. Except to watch t.v., I see everything within the house very well and read and sew with no glasses, for which I am MOST grateful!

I wear glasses when I go somewhere as driver or passenger and at home when I need to cross the road to get the newspapers out of the boxes each day. Many people driving down our busy country road apparently think it's a racetrack so I have to be able to see way around the bends in either direction before I step out onto the "speedway", as I do not want to be roadkill.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:46 PM

Well, I wore contacts for 25 years, glasses for the first 19 years of my life. Now due to the iritis in my eyes, I can no longer wear contacts. I am facing having to have my tear ducts closed permanately due to severe dry eye syndrome (they have tried all the occular plugs available, and all of the medications). About once/twice a month my cornea swells and becomes inflamed, and the medicine for that dialates the pupils so bad that I cannot see real well. So now I only wear my glasses, and have been advised against lasik also. But sometimes I feel I need stronger bifocals (or at least better lighting). But anyways was told by the eye dr. that your glasses are actually better for close work than your contacts.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Banned

I've had to have corrective lenses since I was 12. I had contacts for a couple years in my 20's then couldn't afford them

Last year, after many years of wearing bifocal glasses I wanted to wear contacts again. They gave me bifocal contacts. I put them in and couldn't see a thing! They told me it may take a few days to get used to them and for my brain to adjust. I told them. You don't seem to understand, from here I have to go to work AND be able to see.
So they them gave me one for distance and one for reading.I LOVE THEM. I still do wear reading glasses (Cheap kinds) to sew and do really close work. But don't mind that - I love my contacts.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:24 PM

I've had contacts since I was 9. Thick coke bottle glasses before that. I can see about 2 inches in front of my face without either.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:31 PM

I have worn contacts for 40 years but in the past few years I have to wear the readers with my contacts. Bi-focal contacts have just not been perfected. I do not see well with my glasses and I get a headache if I wear them for long.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

I have worn glasses most of my life. I have to take them off to read and sew. My close vision is great but I can't see a thing far away.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:26 PM

Worn glasses since 4th grade. Had contacts three times, but had problems with eyes and could not continue wearing them. I am not a candidate for Lasik altho I would love to have it. My DH had Lasik several years ago and does fine except for reading glasses. He has a pair in each vehicle, bathroom, and bedside.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Power Poster

I had to get glasses right about 40 yr.s old for reading, several years ago. I had to get some for distance and close up, several more yr.s later, I had to get bi-focals. I don't mind wearing glasses at all, I have no line, now since I pretty much have a washed out look at 65, I think glasses brighten my face. Being blind would be much worse.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
Being blind would be much worse.
Absolutely. I've worn glasses since age 6, contacts for 20 years, and varifocals for a while now (though I also keep a current pair of single vision glasses around). I am not a candidate for the correction surgery, since my eyes are fairly dry. I often take my glasses off to read or sew, although I've been known to wear my glasses with a pair of readers in front of them for close work when I'm also trying to watch television!

Has anyone else found that the correction they give for the reading part of the varifocals is never as good as you want? Even though I try to explain that I need GOOD correction for sewing, more than what they normally provide for reading, I never come away with what I want. The only reason I've heard is that it's too much of a variation from the -7 of my distance part to what "I" think is right for closer work. I've even asked for bifocals with the line if it will give me what I want (but no luck)!!