Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a bow tucks bag... (vent) >

Making a bow tucks bag... (vent)

Making a bow tucks bag... (vent)

Old 06-25-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
no I didn't prewash this fabric.....usually I do but was impatient to start. The iron is hot and I have held it there a long time.....in some places it sticks and in others it doesn't. I ended up pinning as much as I could to get it to stay in place. I only have enough of the fleece to do one bag so may try batting or something for the other one. I'm almost done with this one. Doing the handles now. Just frustrated with it.
I never prewash. One of the tips on the fleece wrapper is to use a touch of steam for a more permanent (can't remember exact wording) adhesion. Also, make sure you have the right side against your fabric. it will feel slightly bumpy (knobby) and be a little bit shiny. LOL Just the other day i had a brainfart and almost ironed some to my ironing board! And I use the Pellon 987 a lot! And also, layer it with:
fluffy non sticky side of fleece on iron board with bumpy glue side up, then put fabric on top of that with right side toward you and wrong side toward bumpy glue side of fleece. iron the fabric not the fleece.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac
I just came to the board to ask this very same question. Yesterday I was making a fabric "box" and the fused side looks wrinkly today. I've made a couple of purses using the same fleece and they don't look wonderful (I didn't want to quilt them).

My arms ache from pressing down so hard on the iron (I set the board down very low so I could get a good weight on it) and I used steam, wet presscloth (like my instructions say) and did everything twice, then went over it all again with just the iron on both sides. Each time I left it to cool completely before I touched it.

Just sign me "fed up" - I have two new purse patterns I'm dying to try, don't know what to do - guess I'll have to quilt them.
Don't over use steam, just a little dab will do. too much steam can sometimes make bubbles that look smooth when it is hot, but show when it cools all the way.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:49 PM

The FF I am using is the 971. I had used the other stuff, but I like this better as it is a "bit" heavier. I think it was cheaper too, so what a deal. Wait for Jo Ann's 50% coupons....