Thyroid Cancer

Old 09-06-2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Honey
Actually I will be very glad to start the meds so that I will have more energy. I went through a very bad bout of depression and am thinking that the thyroid meds might help that, too. I have complained about it for years, but no one would listen because the tests always came back fine. But those tests are notorious for being wrong. Now, at least, something is being done. I'm not shy about talking to Doc's, either, so will stay on them until I feel better. Thanks for all of the prayers and good wishes.
My Graves went years undiagnosed. My Dr. had told me my shaking hands were panic attacks. Not to even mention the emotional stress, and people thinking I was bi-polar.

Forgot about the voice thing. Mine was very temporary about 6 months. I would be talking and then all of sudden I would run out of air and couldn't talk. it was really weird. but it slowly got better and haven't had it for years.

My scar was kind of cool. I had surgery about 1 week before Halloween. Joked with my kids and said I had a built in costume. It will slowly fade. Vitiamin E oil will help with the fading. Hang in there.

:D
Old 09-06-2010, 10:11 AM

I had it removed one little pill gone. It is one that doesn't spread that quickly if at all. Look it up on the internet. Was told if you were to get cancer this was the best to get.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 AM

Actually I will be very glad to start the meds so that I will have more energy. I went through a very bad bout of depression and am thinking that the thyroid meds might help that, too. I have complained about it for years, but no one would listen because the tests always came back fine. But those tests are notorious for being wrong. Now, at least, something is being done. I'm not shy about talking to Doc's, either, so will stay on them until I feel better. Thanks for all of the prayers and good wishes.
Absolutely, when someone is experiencing depression, thyroid levels should be one of the first things the doc checks. Taking synthroid the rest of you life isn't bad. All you are doing is replacing what your body can no longer produce. Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:44 AM

I am a thyroid cancer survivor, going on 11 years now.... but I have had problems for almost 20 years. My best advice to anyone that is having thyroid problems of any kind is to find a good Endocrinoligist, a doctor who specializes in the systems that produce hormones! This includes thyroid issues, infertility issues, diabetes, etc. I found a wonderful doctor in Lincoln, and the lady has saved my life twice. First time when I had a large tumor removed along with my thryroid... the second time just recently when I went for a visit and she asked about my periods. She knew I had stopped bleeding and was going through menopause, and asked if I had any bleeding recently. I told her I had what I thought was a mild period recently. She said that if I had stopped bleeding for almost 1 1/2 years and then started bleeding that it was a red flag.... that I need to go see a gynocologist and get a vaginal ultrasound. I did, and they found a large tumor on my right ovary. Thank the good Lord that it turned out to be benign. I had everything taken out.... but this doctor who is so good at keeping track of not only my thyroid, but all theother hormones that affect me as a woman has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. I highly encourage you to get a refferal to an endocrinologist to help with regulating your thyroid meds... they interact with every other hormone in your body and this kind of doctor is the best at knowing how to keep all the levels good!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:26 AM

Okay, I am long winded today, so will do this in two posts.

I had Graves disease. I think I had it for long time, since I was a kid, before they actually decided what it was. The first doctor, an internist, thought that they could slow my thyroid down by giving me a smaller amount of radioactive iodine. Not enough to kill all of it, but just slow it down. That was the first mistake. It didnt work, I was still hyper. Then they thought they could take half of my thyroid by surgery, and that would make it so I wouldn't have to take medicine the rest of my life. I wouldn't recommend that route to anyone. First, find a doctor that really knows what they are doing and then just get the whole thing out! So much easier and you won't have to deal with more surgeries, etc... and taking the meds is not all that bad.
Fast forward 10 years, and I feel something weird one day when I swallow.. like something snagged. It turned out to bea fairly large cancerous thyroid tumor... follicular type. I had surgery to have the rest of my thyroid out (that should have been taken out the first time). Afterwards,I was given some rounds of I-131 radioactive Iodine to kill any remaining cells....which I had because the surgeon was concerned about my vocal chords, and I had thyroid tissue and scar tissue left from the first surgery. Then several scans over the next few years to make sure there was no spread. So far so good. Now my endocrinologist keeps me on the hyper-thyroid side, which keeps any thyroid cells (if any remain in the body) from growing. That is why they do the scans... they give you just a little low-level radioactive iodine which would be taken up by any thyroid cells in your body and will glow when you have your scans..that is how they tell if they have migrated any place else.
So... I am now 11 years out, and the doctor finally said "It looks like this is not going to shorten your life any". Great words to finally hear. I've pretty much been through it all... twice. Whatever you do, make sure you have a well respected surgeon and doctor, preferably an endocrinologist.....
So... I actually have two scars... the 2nd surgeon tried to go over the first...did a pretty good job. Now it is just a fine white line... maybe a little more noticable than others, but still pretty light. Use the Vitamin E oil, like someone else suggested.
And if anyone has to go on a low iodine diet, I have some good recipes!
Sorry to be so long winded, but you can tell, this is something that I am passionate about sharing with others who are facing surgery and treatments. Thanks for "listening"!
Old 09-06-2010, 12:28 PM

I had Hashimotos when I was 18 years old. I had low thyroid and had trouble swallowing. I also had a lot of itching on the skin over my thyroid gland. I was scanned for cancer and fortunately it wasn't cancer. I still had to have a subtotal thyroidectomy. I have been on Synthroid or Levothyroxine for 37 years. I have my Thyroid levels checked every six months and have my dosage changed frequently. I have also read the Thyroid and Diabetes are linked. I also have Diabetes. My DH has Chronic Lymphatic Leukemia and was told that IT was the cancer to have. I know of others who have had Thyroid cancer and with the right treatment they lived full and healthy lives. Thyroid surgery is easy and has a quick recovery time. Best wishes!
Old 09-06-2010, 12:57 PM

You should be made aware that there is more than one type of thyroid cancer. The very worst kind and hardest to treat is very very rare. There was a supreme court justice who passed away a while back with that type.

My paternal aunt had to have surgery and it turned out that she was two different forms of thyroid cancer. Her mother, (my grandmother) died from thyroid cancer, but that was back in the 50's and she didn't go have it seen about until it was to late. My aunt is doing beautifully now and we have no reason to think that anything else will happen to her along these lines.

Thyroid problems, diabetes, are both auto immune related.
It is rather amazing actually how many conditions are auto immune related. If doctors could just figure out how our immune system really works, they could cure just about anything...

You will be in my prayers for a speedy recovery!
Old 09-06-2010, 02:08 PM

My surgeon was wonderful. Fresh out of residency and his thyroid rotation. He did a wonderful job. I now see an endocrinologist and I intend to continue with him. My GP is great and thanks to her all of this was treated very quickly and efficiently. I know that she will stay up on all of the reports. So far, I have really be blessed with the docs that I have had.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:45 PM

My husband is a 4 year survivor. Everyone has given you great info. Hubby is doing great. Remember to take your meds at the same time everyday and on an empty stomach and wait 2 hours before eating. Thats how hubby's endocrinoligist has him take his meds. The worst part of going thru this was the low iodine diet, before the I-131 treatment. Now his Dr. likes to keep his levels high, he has no problems with that, however sometimes it's like sleeping next to a furance. He was a stage 2. If you'd like to chat about anything please PM me. You'll be in my prayers.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:40 AM

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers and info. I truly appreciate it. It has all helped a lot.