grandparents rights

Old 09-22-2010, 08:57 AM

Also on disability, and my grandchildren don't live close to me so I fully understand how you feel. But don't waste money on a lawyer, my next door neighbor wants custody of their one and only grandson, because mom is a drug attic. And dad is a bum. But even though they have been trying for about 3 years now, as long as mom or dad won't give up custody, it doesn't matter to the courts how good or bad that parent is. It would be better for their biological dad to try for custody. And men do get custody...we had custody of my DH youngest son, because mom was no good. (very long story) Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:44 AM

In Kentucky, we do have rights as I had to file against my son and dil. Maybe you can reverse phsycology on her and offer to keep the child so they can go to school until she gets settled into her new home. Who knows, she may just let him stay with you.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:12 AM

I know you are heart sick over this....It is very sad. I hope there is a way you can do something to help this child. Maybe his Father would be willing to help..... :-(
Old 09-22-2010, 11:32 AM

Find out if there in any grandparents group that could help you. In the province of Quebec such an association exists. Your state must have a department with Social Service related to the kids. Do not keep the problem to yourself, inquire with your minister or your doctor, you could also meet a social worker at your local hospital.You are not the only witness to that problem, rally those who are aware of it to build your case. As much as you have heartaches, keep your energy to help that kid you love so much
Old 09-22-2010, 12:06 PM

I feel for you. My daughter moved away with our 2 grandsons (age 7 and 2) last year - 11 1/2 hours from us. We basically raised our 7 year old son when our daughter had him at 17. It is like losing a child. My life has not been the same. I have been able to travel to see them a couple of times but it is bittersweet when I have to leave and he wants to come with me. Have you tried to contact a legal aid attorney in your area? They are usually there to help people on limited income and it may be that you could get a free consultation to check things out.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:33 PM

My heart goes out to you!!! My grandbabies and DD still live with us, even though she is married to their daddy and he lives with his parents. Long, long story. I love my grandbabies and they feel like my own children, but I feel so helpless sometimes. Being a grandparent wonderful but can be heartbreaking at the same time.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:48 PM

Not throwing anything on your daughter but, most likely the oldest boy and the new daddy are not getting along. It was probably the guys idea to to give the kid back to his daddy. Where as he has more control over the youngest, and he knows the daddy will have to keep sending money for child support. It usually comes down to the guaranteed income aspect, and the reason for move? I will stay silent on that, I have an idea why! But you are upset enough.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:57 PM

However, I will suggest that if the father is willing!! To take her back to court and go after custody of the other child. If he already has custody of the first.I beleive it would be in the best interest for the child to get away from Mom's new relationship. He should seek an atorney or atleast ask a judge to to put an injunction of some kind on her taking him out of state till the new husband and the whole circumstances of how the child will be supported and suchincluding is this enviroment for the child is good or bad with this man's past, is healthy or not!! Someone may have to call child services to get an investigation going if anyone already knows of something that is going on in the home! Sorry, but sometimes that is what you must do even if it is your daughter! She's an adult the children are helpless and often used as pawns!! My daughter is going to school to be an attorney. She says all laws vary from state to state, you have to use what is available in your state. There are affordable attorneys for fathers. Need to search internet , they are Attorney Organizations Like Father's Have Rights (too)out there . They are very ,very good. I know co-workers who have used them with great results!!
Old 09-22-2010, 02:25 PM

I can completely sympathize with you. 14 years ago, my husband was terminally ill with cancer, and his daughter from a previous marriage had 4 children. She had been doing drugs, etc. for a couple of years, and then CPS stepped in and took the kids. They fortunately gave us the kids, but over the months, as my DH grew sicker and sicker, it was more than I could do to take care of him and 4 small kids (6-1 in age). I had a 12 year old of my own. Those were my grandkids in every sense of the word...not in blood, but in relationship and in love. They knew me as grandma..and I was really the only grandma they knew well. My DH went to Heaven in Sept. 1996, and one week before that, CPS came and took the kids from me without warning. The worker said that the home environment was not good with my DH so ill. Because the daughter was so messed up, she wouldn't give me any information, and the CPS people wouldn't tell me anything because I did not have "standing" with the court...I am not a blood relative. The kids were in foster care for 3 years with daughter continuing messing up. Eventually they terminated her rights, and the father was in prison. The kids were adopted all together, and we lost touch with them. I was devastated!!! It was a horrible situation to go through. But, 2 years ago the 6 years old became 18, and she found us. She told me she remembered us all that time, and kept waiting for us to come get the kids. It was a heartbreaking thing to hear, but then she said she remembered being happy and safe at my house. WOW!! So, don't give up hope. The kids all remember us (not the very young ones, but the other 2 do), so chances are when your GS gets older he will recontact you. Best of luck for your son to get custody or to stop the mom from moving away. Really that's your only avenue..the parent is the only one with "standing" in a custody issue.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:48 PM

I also am a grandparent. But in the state of TN granparents have no rights. They only have rights if their son or daughter die.