grandparents rights

Old 09-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Oh honey. I can't give you any advice here but my heart is breaking for you.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:37 PM

I am so sorry!
I had a very similar but also different situation about 18 years ago. Adults forcing a child to live were she didn't want to. It hurt like nothing else. I cried for years and the pain became bearable but very raw. I always stayed in touch with this precious child as she grew up! About two years ago because of several things I had never planned on we ended up living two hours apart!! Oh Joy! We can see each other and she is as excited about it as I am! We are very close again and I am Grandma to her beautiful son, and expecting another any minute. I love her husband. Finally after all the years of pain, it feels right! A joy beyond what words can describe!
These little boys will remember your love, Do all you can to stay in touch and not cut the ties with your daughter. Someday it may come back right and all the joy you will have will be worth it!
Now I just need to find a way to stop the tears.
God Bless You!
Old 09-21-2010, 02:20 PM

I am sorry, that is a terrible situation. Try and get a free consultation with a lawyer, because I don't believe you have any legal standing. I think the US Supreme Court ruled grandparents have no automatic legal rights a few years back, I don't remember hearing that that had changed. I have a few links here for you to review, I didn't read them, just a quick google to try and help you.

I hope you are able to work something out, maybe as Amma posted: work with the children's father.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/fe...ndparents.html

http://www.grandparentsrights.org/
Old 09-21-2010, 02:27 PM

What about some sort of lawyer who does pro bono work? Seems to me that some lawyers do this as a public service.

And check this out online, might find something that will help you.

Check this out.

Legal Help for the Poor - State by state listing of Pro Bono ...
Jan 23, 2007 ... This directory is for the use of pro bono advocates and professionals only. ... Here is a quick and easy way to find Pro Bono Program Links. ...
www.abanet.org/legalservices/probono/directory.html - Similar
Old 09-22-2010, 05:08 AM

My s-i-l moved my dd and two granddaughters half way across the country but when I refused to send money to help support them, he gave up and moved back home after only two years. During that time I really missed them. I only sent cards to the GD and DD as I was not permitted to speak to them on the phone if I did not send money. They could open the cards as he did not know if there was money in them or not. I only sent $5.00 for birthdays as I knew he would keep the money. The GD were 3 and 4 when they left and still talk about it and that was 6 years ago. I contacted a attorney and was told it was better to just try to keep peace and the best way to do that was to control the money with this son in law. It is a hard game to play and I have to stay on my toes at all times but the girls are getting older and they see him for who he is now.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Ministry Leader
This has got to be the news every grandparent does NOT want to hear --- I have 2 grandsons that have lived with me and their mother for most of their lives ( ages 6 and 4). She recently married, someone I consider a total bum, and now she informs me that the oldest is going to stay with his father - who I get along well with --- but her and the youngest are moving back to her new husband's town which is almost clear across the country.
I am on disability so the likelyhood of me ever travel there is slim and since he refuses to work and her work here (don't know that she will be able to find a job there) is the only income I don't see them ever having the money to come back.
There should be something a grandparent could do. Just yesterday the grandson told me "I want to live with you." And when his mother came to get him after work he put up a real fight to stay at Ma's (that is what he has always called me).
This news has me so upset all I have done since she told me yesterday about 1:30 pm is cry not only because I am going to miss the grandson and her - but am very concerned about what kind of a life they are going to have. My oldest daughter heard and saw the guy she married threaten her with a pick ax a couple of years ago - when any thing is said the reply is they were just joking.
It may take all of my disabilty excess for this month (I have a sash of some groceries and I just will have to cut back my going anywhere) to pay a lawyer to find out what I can do if anything.
Hello Quilt Minister: Do we all have a 'monkey on our backs' when it comes to our grandchildren. I have 2 daughters who will not communicate with me. # 1, has 5 daughters, I havn't seen any of them for over 5 years. Through the family grapevine, I understand they have broken off relationship with their mother and at least 1 with her father. Mother/father divorced. # 2, has 2 daughters and 2 sons. This has come about just within the last 6 months. For some reason, unknown to me, She (my daughter) has erased me from her life taking with her/her husband and children. The second boy was born September 11, 2010. I havn't been able to see him and she hasn't even told me about him. I learned this from another granddaughter who had a facebook msg. from daughter # 2's oldest, a daughter. I also lost my steady and loving companion on August 24. She would have been 14 years old March 13, 2011. My little Peewee is now with Jesus.

Yes, all these things are difficult to handle. Rather than seeking an attorney which will take most of your income, why not try to talk to Jesus about it. If you ask him to restore the communication between all parties involved, He will answer. Your answer may not come immediately because Jesus works in His own time and place, but you will get an answer. If it happens to be negative to your wishes, you must accept it and Thank Him, that He is there for you.

"Dear God: There are so many of us in the world today who suffer from the wrath of our families. Bestow upon us the ability to accept what we cannot change and the wisdom to sllow your will to reign over our lives. In Jesus name, Amen"
Old 09-22-2010, 06:04 AM

When my daughter and granddaughter were killed in a car accident 18 years ago, her remaining twins, 5 yrs. old at the time, went to their father. Not 2 weeks after the funeral, I received 2 letters from him and his new wife (my daughter was divorced from him and remarried). Of course, they were asking for money if I wanted to see my twin grandchildren. At the time, I lived in Arizona and they lived in Indiana. We got a lawyer, flying back and forth to Indiana was hard but worth it, we had to go to a child psychologist, several different court dates, etc. to the tune of $15,000. We won our case, but it was short-lived. Indiana passed a law that grandparents had no rights, as long as there were no felonies on the father, we could not do anything. Needless to say, the twins were brought up with dad, his wife and his family. We hardly ever hear from them at all. I feel your pain and wish that maybe in whatever state you live in, that you will be able to do something! I really miss my grandchildren. Grandson will be graduating from Ball State this summer and Granddaughter has my great grandson, whom I have only seen once. I pray for you! This is a definite heart-breaker! God bless and good luck!
Old 09-22-2010, 06:29 AM

God bless you
Old 09-22-2010, 06:31 AM

What heartbreak this causes to you and your grandson. My tears are with you. My son and I fought for his son when the mother left (still in same state). It was a long and stressing fight with court, lawyers, investigators, child liason, etc. etc. The mother has some very real head problems. Anyway, we (rather he) won full custory (he has to promise her not to want child support). Today that child is 17yo, a senior (will grad in 2012), is an A student, played varsity baseball in his Freshman yr, now plays varsity baseball and football. I no longer live in the same state as my son and grandson BUT every summer my grandson spends 2-3 weeks here with me. I also am disabled, my husband passed in 2001. Between my husband who had MS and my health and the never ending money costs; I gave all I had and then sold what I could. Believe me it was worth it and I would do it again. I have been gifted with grandson to WANTS to visit me. What I can only suggest to you is to always let him know you love him no matter where he is and that he can always call you and tell you whatever he wants to without your judgement (this pays off in LOVE). You are his rock and being this to him will make him a wonderful person. Good luck to you along with my prayers. You are a wonderful and caring grandmother, keep up the loving work.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:45 AM

What a tough situation and I feel so sorry for all concerned. My heart goes out to you. I agree, there should be some grandparents rights.