Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Cupcake quilt in the making >

Cupcake quilt in the making

Cupcake quilt in the making

Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 PM

Inkedflamingo welcome to the group! I am so thankful that you brought this topic up. Your quilt is going to be over the moon adorable! I've never done applique on a machine & have a quilt top to do. The info you Members all gave is very much appreciated by me. So Thanks for answering this topic. I would have probably ruined my top because I had no clue about using a stabilizer. Good luck with that adorable Cupcake quilt! Love it!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:00 AM

You need to use a stabilizer under the background fabric to keep it from puckering while you stitch. I find that even a piece of paper works well. When you are done stitching, just tear it away.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:16 AM

Very cute . I like all the different colors . . .
Old 09-24-2010, 09:08 AM

For appliques I usually trace the pattern on the back side of pattern on heat & bond light weight on the paper side. Then iron to the wrong side of fabric. Cut out. Then remove paper and iron in place. Then I use the blanket stitch and make it small stitches. This way you are outlining the piece and just taking little nips of the edge of the fabric. I use thread to match the background of the fabric being used.
-------------------------------------------------
This is what I'm doing with my ice cream kid's quilt. Except to save time I simply iron on the bonding material to a length of fabric, draw around all the patterns and get as many as possible from that amount of material. Cut out, remove paper and iron on backing. I use a small zig zag and sew slowly with pattern matched colored thread. I hope this will hold up for many years, since I have seen lots of them that are very, very old, probably before heat sealed iron ons. And yes, this does have the disadvantage of being time consuming, changing all the top colors, but i like it and probably won't change my habits.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:27 AM

I just love your cupcakes!! How different to use all the patterns. Your daughter is so lucky! I think I might try a lightweight transfer web to place the cupcakes on the squares, then it won't move at all when you applique and will make the quilt last a long time. Have fun!
Old 09-24-2010, 11:15 AM

This is going to be adorable! :-D
Can you please share where we can find this pattern?
I'd love to make one. :thumbup:

Question about the stabilizer....
I know to use Wonder Under or something else to "attach" the cupcake pieces to the background fabric.....BUT...do you add a stabilizer to the background fabric also to prevent any puckering? :roll:
Old 09-24-2010, 11:27 AM

I use Eleanor Burn's method also and have had great luck with it. I used this method on the flowers on my avatar quilt. I also use coffee filters and have never had a problem.
Originally Posted by calla
Elennor Burns has a great technique, she used it with Grandmother's Garden Quilt: Trace patterns on fusible interfacing, light to med. The patterns are traced on smooth side, the dotted side is the fusible side. Begin by placing dotted fusible side against the right side of fabric. Cut fabric the same size as the interfacing. Pin in center of each pattern piece.......DO NOT PRESS..........Using a straight stitch on sewing machine and using a tight stitch, sew on inside edge of lines. When stitching is complete, trim...........to turn pieces carefully cut a small slit through the fusible interfacing only. Turn the piece and crease fabric deges with a wooden pressing stich, NOT THE IRON IN THIS STEP.............if batting is desired insert use cotton batting as poly will melt........you batting has to be cut the shape of your piece. (I avoided this step when I did hearts, and I liked it) now your piece is ready for placement on your background fabric, iron in place, and do your zig-zag stitch or buttonhole what ever you have decided on. Perhaps E. Burns has more information at her site..........good luck...........calla/Sue
Old 09-24-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by calla
Elennor Burns has a great technique, she used it with Grandmother's Garden Quilt: Trace patterns on fusible interfacing, light to med. The patterns are traced on smooth side, the dotted side is the fusible side. Begin by placing dotted fusible side against the right side of fabric. Cut fabric the same size as the interfacing. Pin in center of each pattern piece.......DO NOT PRESS..........Using a straight stitch on sewing machine and using a tight stitch, sew on inside edge of lines. When stitching is complete, trim...........to turn pieces carefully cut a small slit through the fusible interfacing only. Turn the piece and crease fabric deges with a wooden pressing stich, NOT THE IRON IN THIS STEP.............if batting is desired insert use cotton batting as poly will melt........you batting has to be cut the shape of your piece. (I avoided this step when I did hearts, and I liked it) now your piece is ready for placement on your background fabric, iron in place, and do your zig-zag stitch or buttonhole what ever you have decided on. Perhaps E. Burns has more information at her site..........good luck...........calla/Sue

This is a method I have used and it worked very well! The quilt will be adorable!! :thumbup: :D
Old 09-24-2010, 01:57 PM

Steam-a-seam or wonder under will help keep the fabric edges of the applique from fraying. To keep the "cupcakes" soft (or the quilt from being stiff!) try cutting the center of the steam-a-seam away before attaching it to the cupcake fabric, leaving just a 1/4 inch inside the lines of the applique.
Is that clear or confusing? I hope it at least kind of makes some sense. After all a little girl wants to be able to cuddle with her quilt made by mom!
Old 09-24-2010, 03:02 PM

Oh, that's going to be so cute!