Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cabbage Rolls >

Cabbage Rolls

Cabbage Rolls

Old 10-22-2010, 10:18 PM

I just made some last week. Tried a new (to me) idea. I cut the core off short. Took off the nice large outer leaves. Rinsed them, stacked loosely, and microwaved them until just starting to wilt. (Started with 3 minutes, had to add more time in high power m'wave.) Take out, rinse with cold water, shake off and you're "ready to roll".
Old 10-23-2010, 01:10 AM

I use a mix of crushed tomato & tomato soup I do add sugar &vinegar, but haven't tried the water/sugar & vinegar. Might do that for a small pan & see how we like it.

Originally Posted by coastienest
I grew up with the liquid mixture being that of vinegar, sugar and water. Have you ever tried them like that? Everyone I know always used the tomato mixture until they tried them this way. It's the way my baba used to make them.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:56 AM

I too add the saurkraut, but we've always used raw rice and let it cook as the cabbage cooked. If I were freezing them I would cook the rice first. Making me hungry
Old 10-24-2010, 04:47 AM

In order for my mom to stretch the cabbage rolls for our family of 6, she made her cabbage rolls with more rice than meat. She would cook the rice and meat, mix it up, and stuff. Through the years I have made mine with far more meat, little rice, and lots of cooked onions. The rice and meat are raw and I find that the stuffing stays firmly together this way. As the cabbage rolls cook, the stuffing cooks too and the result is a nice firm little roll of stuffing. Yum.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:17 AM

I core my cabbage, run water into the cabbage where you took the core out, turn it upside down, give it a good shake and put it on a dish, cover and put in the microwave and nuke it until the outer leaves are pliable, take them off, put it back in and continue process. I find this to be less messy than the other methods.

I also use tomato soup rather than juice, I like the flavor better than what you get with tomato juice.

As an extra touch I layer sauerkraut between the layers of rolls. If I am making one layer I put the kraut in the bottom of the dish first.

So glad to know I can freeze them first. I have always made an 18 quart roaster full and then froze them. Doing them raw would be less of a mess.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
Originally Posted by Catherine Marie
My Ukrainian mom taught me how to make cabbage rolls but an Hungarian friend helped me tweak them so that they are even better. I like to cook mine in a large dutch oven. First I line the bottom of the pot with pieces of the discarded or small leaves. Then I layer them into the pot but on top of each layer, I place a heaping helping of sauerkraut. When I finish with each layer and have filled the pot, I pour in a large can of tomato juice. Enough so that I can see the juice come up the sides. Cover the pot, turn on the burner to low and then let them bubble and cook away.
This is the way our family makes them, too. I thought we were the only ones who made them with sauerkraut! When I was a kid, mom used a whole head of sour cabbage which you can't get any more. Maybe it's still available in Europe. We use a beef and pork combination, onions, garlic, rice, etc. Anyway, we layer the rolls with sauerkraut and the extra cabbage just like you described. We also add kielbasa pieces between each layer, and we don't use tomatoes. After the pot is filled with the cabbage rolls, kraut and kielbasa, we pour in a little water or beef broth and just let the whole thing cook as you described. When it's done, we thicken whatever juice is in the bottom of the pot with a little fat/flour roux (bacon drippings make it delicious) and mix it with the kraut. It's so good - my mouth is watering!
I love the idea of the kielbasa being added as well as the roux made with the bacon fat. Bacon fat, used sparingly, makes most savory foods taste better.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:34 AM

I use the pressure cooker.I just roll my hamburg mixture in a cabbage leaf then I add about 2 cups of water and I pour one can of tomato soup on the top of that and cook them for about 10- 15 minutes. You can also lay some extra cabbage leaves on the top. I do not boil the leaves or dip them in hot water at all.They always turn out great!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 AM

I remember Mom saying bacon makes anything taste better.
She also added a slice or too of real butter (made by neighbor) to her veggies & mash potatoes.The potatoes with butter & canned milk are wonderful
Old 10-26-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Feather3
I just made 106 of them! I make a years worth at a time. I buy large heads of cabbage. Make sure they are not split. I make up my filling before I start the cabbage. Remove outter leaves. Using a heavy blade knife, I cut around the core & remove it. I then place it in a large pot of boiling water, core end up. The head needs to be completely under the water. It takes a few to several minutes for the leaves to get soft enough to remove. I use tongs to pull the leaves off as they soften. I lay them on a large platter to cool a few minutes. As the leaves soften & start to turn translucent I keep pulling them off. If I need to cut more core out I remove the head from the water(I use a 2 prong meat fork in the core), let the water drain out, set it on cutting board, cut it & put it back in. I use as many leaves as I can, even down to the tiny ones. I make baby sized rolls :). Hate waste. While I wait for leaves to soften in the water I stuff the ones I already took off. Place leaf with stem end towards you. Place your filling in. Fold the sides in (right, then left), then fold the leaf end, then the stem end. Your filling should not squish out. They don't need toothpicks to hold them shut if you fold this way. After I have them all made I divide them up into portions for meals, place them in a plastic bag & freeze them. After 24 hours in the freezer I then put the packages in a paper bag. Paper bags help keep things from getting freezer burn. They'll keep for a full year this way. When you remove them from the freezer let them set at room temp for abut 30 minutes. They'll break apart easy, with no damage. Been doing them this way for over 40 years now.
I never heard of putting food in a paper bag after putting them in a plastic bag. I have a food saver so I don't use the freezer bags too much any more. The paper bag sounds great though as long it stops them from freezer burn.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:04 PM

FINCH: I use the pressure cooker.
I just roll my hamburg mixture in a cabbage leaf then I add about 2 cups of water and I pour one can of tomato soup on the top of that and cook them for about 10- 15 minutes. You can also lay some extra cabbage leaves on the top. I do not boil the leaves or dip them in hot water at all.They always turn out great![/quote]

Please clarify re:water & tomato soup:
do you put the 2 C. water in the pressure cooker & then the rolls & then the tomato soup?? Or does the water and soup, mixed together, all go into the cooker first?

I love my pressure cookers & do stuffed peppers (with cooked filling) for about 2 minutes at full pressure; turns out perfect. Have often wondered about doing cabbage rolls so was very glad to see your entry. Looking forward to your answer. Thanks!