Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Tools, Tips & Opinions >

Quilt Tools, Tips & Opinions

Quilt Tools, Tips & Opinions

Old 10-30-2010, 07:01 AM

Does this Martelli have a 'handle' sideways instead of like a pizza cutter? I think I've seen one, never tried it. Would it benefit arthritis or difficulties? I've had 5 surgeries on R, 3 on L, and the scar tissue is building to act like arthritis now, so I like ergonomic tools, even in the garden. I've never seen them at the local stores, I'll have to search the internet for one. let me know how it works for problem hands, harder or easier?
Old 10-30-2010, 07:36 AM

Martelli is an Ergonomic cutter and it is supposed to be easier for Arthritics. I have a niece with MS who really loves it .. makes it much easier for her to cut.
Just be sure that your replacement blades are NOT the ones with the notches - I forget which one has the 3 notches cut out so it fits the rotary cutter). They (Martellis) recommended that I not use them in any of the rotary cutters that don't need it because the blade will dull quicker in 3 spots.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:45 AM

My daughter recently bought an Accuquilt cutter that she LOVES for certain cuts. She does a lot of cheniled quilts and loves the dye cutter made for that. The only negative side to it is that it takes a little more fabric. She also bought the extra set of dyes. I haven't had the need to use it yet , but I can hardly wait to cut a quilt in record time.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
I'd love to ask anyone, about a wide variety of quilt tools from rotaries, rulers, aids, and even books & magazines.
There are so many on the market, and I know some who have a dozen different seam rippers. And some will swear by one product after having tried several. It would sure help "Newbies" and all quilters, to hear the opinions of others on these tools.

To start us off, I'd like to ask about rotaries. What do you use, and why? I've got an assortment of sizes of Olfa rotaries, and love the tiny one for nipping off my points at seams. I love the large one for cutting polar fleece. I love the auto blade cover (release the handle and it covers the blade) for classes so I don't get caught with an open blade on my table. But I LOVE my Gingher as these blades stay 'sharp'! I have made a King, 3 queen, 6 full & a lap, plus have 3 twins cut, all on one blade...amazing! And I recently realized, use the Gingher blade in the same size handle of my "release" Olfa. Dah! Ok, I'm not the sharpest pin in my pincushion.

And yes, I am trying to become a recovering "gadget" junky. :roll: :roll:
I use the cutter and ruler from the Grace company, I had to wait a long time for it, but it works great and the ruler has a strip that guides the cutter for a perfectly straight cut with no slipping. The ruler and cutter work as a set. :-D
Old 10-30-2010, 08:37 AM

Sisters, OR only has one kind of weather for the quilt show -HOT!!
Old 10-30-2010, 10:15 AM

Debbie: I think the ruler/cutter set you are talking about is by TrueCut. They also have a rotary blade sharpener that seems to really work! I bought the ruler because it has slots in it where you can get a pencil in to mark grids, start/stop points, etc. The ruler has a lip and the rotary cutter has a matching part so the rotary cutter "rides" on the ruler. It helps with accuracy, other cutters can be used with the ruler. The best thing I have found to hold the rulers steady comes from Australia, RuleSteady made by KeepQuilting.com.au It is a plexiglass platform that has an upper portion that goes over the ruler, a lower section with non-skid feet that stays on the mat, a ridge that keeps the ruler from sliding, and a long handle on top. It is about $40 but it was a Christmas present and well worth it!
Old 10-30-2010, 10:22 AM

I want that True Cut ruler. I'm just waiting on a good deal.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:37 AM

I use fiskars rotary cutter, fiskars scissors, both large and small. I love them all. The guarentee on them is terrific and they do that for life. I just had the wheel nut on my fiskars cutter get loose. I wrote them, sent a photo. They contacted me 2 days later and said they will send a new one. It just came in yesterdays mail. New cutter with a blade
Old 10-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

I also have the Olfas and I use the 45mm for most work. The small one -28mm- is best used in circular templates and around tightly-curved templates.

If I were to buy another one, I would get an ergonomic one because I have trouble with tendonitis.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:48 AM

I also love my Olfa rotary cutters, the 45mm one I'm using now works like a dream.