Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Tools, Tips & Opinions >

Quilt Tools, Tips & Opinions

Quilt Tools, Tips & Opinions

Old 10-30-2010, 07:30 PM

I have Olfas and love them, I also have the retractable Ablade one.

Check into Alto's Quick Cut (I think that is waht its called) They have a video on line. I am going to see it at the quilt show next week and plan on buying it if it's as good as they say (about $200.00). I love the AccuQuilt but it is so limited unless you have all the templates and that would run over $1000.00 and you still may not have what you need. I haven't heard anything on the Sissix yet. But doesn't that also need templates?t
Old 10-30-2010, 08:07 PM

I like this Alto cutter, wouldn't want to carry it to retreats and classes, then I think I'd like to try the Martelli cutter, and I'm still sold on anything Gingher, seems to be never ending sharp, scissors, rotary blades.
You do get what you pay for.

I also liked the Ausie handle for holding the rulers, also looks good, but again, hate to carry to classes.
I think I have a couple sets of things, some helpful at home, others convenient to take with to classes.

Does anyone use the purple handle gypsy handle on rulers? I have the tiny darker purple suction cup ones for the tiny rulers also. I too seem to collect lots of rulers. Figure if I find a pattern I want to start, maybe I'll have the ruler now for it... closest quilt shop is 40 miles away.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:09 PM

How do you 'baste' your quilt? Don't you love quilt terminolagy, with Thanksgiving so close..basting takes double meaning now.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:10 PM

They used a big one at the quilt shop I used to work at. I found myself taking it off when teaching a class because it seemed like it covered up the numbers that i needed to use.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Dee

Love the Olfa. But like the Fiskars and Clover also.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:26 PM

Hi.. I have a Kia cutter and love it. It stays closed until you press on it to cut and then immediately closes after you are no longer cutting with it. It can be used either right or left handed which makes it nice too.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bewitching_Stitcher
They used a big one at the quilt shop I used to work at. I found myself taking it off when teaching a class because it seemed like it covered up the numbers that i needed to use.
i was talking about the gypsy handles
Old 10-31-2010, 04:36 AM

Dritz Kai rotary looks good..I should have that one for class, or the Olfa release handle. Both 45mm I could buy the Gingher blades to put into the release style handles.

That IS an option, 45mm blades fits each brand handle, so you get the option of what you like for a handle, but have the 'stay sharp' of the Gingher quality.
You get what you pay for, and by the time I paid for replacement blades, the Gingher was the better value lasting all year and I make a lot of quilts.
I do have a blade sharpener, but I don't think it gives me more than half the life of the blade back, not like a new sharp blade. If you find you have a nick, it's simply worth replacing the blade.
Gingher has one nice feature for blades, the replacement comes in a case you put the old blade in for disposal, no chance of accidently cutting yourself, or it cutting through a garbage bag.
I also have an old medicine bottle with child guard cap I put old sewing machine needles in or bent pins, so again, I don't have them polking through or stabbing me.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:27 AM

I wanted to share about some things I learned at a quilt retreat. Here is the link from this yrs Natl. Teacher: Sharon Shamber http://www.sharonschamber.com/shopping%20cart/Store.htm
Bought 21 DVDs & 13 patterns.

and next yrs Natl. Teacher Deb Karasik http://www.debkarasik.com/
I have her book & DVD ahead of time.

If you can go to local classes, that is wonderful.
If you can go to a State Quilt Show, usually full of venders, few hundred quilts on display & National Teachers along with local state Teachers, even a bigger bonus.

If you can go to a National Quilt Show, and the hundreds of quilts to drool over, dozens of venders, and if your lucky to get into a class with Natl. Teachers don't miss the chance.

This yr, I went to our State Guilt's State Quilt Show, 2 Ntl Teachers: Elsie Campbell & Frieda Anderson. Then our big Quilt Guild (covers 1/2 ND & eastern MT)Sharon Shamber.
And went to Sisters OR, Outdoor Quilt Show, no teachers.

Make sure you take a camera, most Natl & local teachers will allow photos, and make sure you take lots of notes.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:29 AM

Quilter's often "settle" for the lower end fabric, but have hundreds of yards in
their home stash. Don't settle for a lower end fabric for price, only to stock
pile it in your stash. Use up your stash, or donate it for charity quilts, or
sell it on ebay. Then buy quality fabric (no matter where, brand names that
"feel" firm, not flimsy, can't see hand through fabric when looking up at the
lights). Now, do a project and finish the project before starting the next
project.

Ok... we take classes, learn from our quilt guild, and attend retreats full of
classes, and end up with UFOs. Notice your calendar, the space between a class
or next event, use that time to finish these projects you've started in a class.
ALWAYS go home from a class or retreat, and work on your projects ASAP within a
few days that first week, before you forget what you've learned, and get
frustrated and it becomes a perminate UFO.