Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grrrr...pinked jelly rolls >

Grrrr...pinked jelly rolls

Grrrr...pinked jelly rolls

Old 11-01-2010, 10:35 AM
mac

Originally Posted by BevD
I bought a Jelly Roll pattern book last year at our quilting show. Great book have already made two quilts and one top out of it, no problem...
My bad move lately was buying three jelly rolls on the internet and not realising - wasn't in pics - that the edges were pinked!!
My poor machine is so clogged I swear I will never again buy the pinked, I will ALWAYS email and ask if they are straight cut.
Bad enough the bits everywhere when you open the jelly roll, the bits on the ironing board when pressing seams but my poor machine had to suffer too..

Sorry about that, just had to stop CLEANING and have a gripe.
While I have never used a jelly roll before, I was wondering if this is a common problem with the pinked jelly rolls, has anyone tried vacuuming the edges (while they are still in a roll) to get the majority of lint off first.

I just bought my first 2 jelly rolls "Batik Pops" from a quilt show recently. I won a door prize for $10 at a booth and the only thing that interested me were the Batik Pops because of the colors. Since I couldn't decide I bought 2 of them at $35 each (or $30 each with the prize).

I figured out later that at $35 the fabric would have been $12/yd. I suppose that if you take in the fact that you don't buy a lot of extra fabric this way and can still get a good selection of fabric that it is probably more cost effective to buy it this way -- but it still seems pretty darn expensive.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:50 AM

I have used 4 jelly rolls in 2 different queen size quilts and didn't have any issues with the pinked edges. I vacuum the rolls before I unwrap them, then I spray starch the strips . I have also used the 5" charms many times without any problems. So far I have only used the Moda lines.

Suzy
Old 11-01-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by mac
I bought a Jelly Roll pattern book last year at our quilting show. Great book have already made two quilts and one top out of it, no problem...
My bad move lately was buying three jelly rolls on the internet and not realising - wasn't in pics - that the edges were pinked!!
My poor machine is so clogged I swear I will never again buy the pinked, I will ALWAYS email and ask if they are straight cut.
Bad enough the bits everywhere when you open the jelly roll, the bits on the ironing board when pressing seams but my poor machine had to suffer too..

Sorry about that, just had to stop CLEANING and have a gripe.
While I have never used a jelly roll before, I was wondering if this is a common problem with the pinked jelly rolls, has anyone tried vacuuming the edges (while they are still in a roll) to get the majority of lint off first.

I just bought my first 2 jelly rolls "Batik Pops" from a quilt show recently. I won a door prize for $10 at a booth and the only thing that interested me were the Batik Pops because of the colors. Since I couldn't decide I bought 2 of them at $35 each (or $30 each with the prize).

I figured out later that at $35 the fabric would have been $12/yd. I suppose that if you take in the fact that you don't buy a lot of extra fabric this way and can still get a good selection of fabric that it is probably more cost effective to buy it this way -- but it still seems pretty darn expensive.
You're definitely paying for the advantage of not having to make some of the cuts. I find that using pre cuts is super quick compared to cutting it all out on my own but I don't pay full price for any of them unless it's something I need for an existing project or something brand new that I just *have* to have. I've paid anywhere from $17 and up for a Moda jelly roll. Rarely more than $25.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:05 PM

Thanks for enlightening us!
Old 11-01-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Suzy
I vacuum the rolls before I unwrap them, then I spray starch the strips .

Suzy
Well, this was a "hit yourself up the side of the head" moment for me. I too had lint all over the place never thinking that I should have vacuumed them first and my best friend is starch but I didn't do that either. I am still rolling my eyes and shaking my head at myself. Thank you for this posting this thread.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:48 PM

Have a woderful time at the quilt show
Old 11-01-2010, 03:20 PM

Maybe spray starch would help the lint from Jelly rolls
Old 11-01-2010, 03:37 PM

Why do they pink them?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 PM

Sure have, the one I'm using at the moment is beautiful fabric but they aren't all true 2 1/2 inch strips. Even where the fold is it is wider than the rest.
A lady from one of the quilt stalls last year told me they are all laser cut, but I don't think so or they would all be true sizes.
I love the idea of jelly rolls they are so quick to use but they seem to be getting a little bit lax at times with the cutting. *sigh*
I have had 3 jelly rolls, 2 straight edge, 1 - Moda and more expensive is pinked. Used 1 of the straight edge and ok, will have to see what happens with the pinked one. Lucky you BevD, I didn't pre-book for Quilt Fair this year and don't know if I will get there over the weekend or not. Have lots of fun. (p.s. I live at Nairne)
Old 11-01-2010, 05:01 PM

This may sound a little far-fetched, but I blow them out before I use them. We have an air compressor (for inflating tires, etc.) and I just take the air hose and blow off the excess fabric from the jelly roll while it is still all together. This stops all of the little fuzzies from getting trapped in your machine and making a mess in your sewing area.