Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where Are All the Pieced Quilts at Shows..... >

Where Are All the Pieced Quilts at Shows.....

Where Are All the Pieced Quilts at Shows.....

Old 11-11-2010, 06:27 AM

I have the same issue when I go the the big international shows , it got to the point where only about 5- 10 percent was traditional quilts. Do not get me wrong I do love to see the art quilts .. but would like to see more of the traditional represented.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:36 AM

I have been thinking that the art quilts should be a separate category from the more traditional quilts. It's like comparing apples and oranges to compare them to each other!
Pat
Old 11-11-2010, 06:43 AM

Pat of Katkat - I totally agree with you.
Dodee
Old 11-11-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
....I am starting to wonder if eventually the traditional pieced quilts won't make it into any of the quilt shows. Really, there are so many art quilts and fewer and fewer traditional. Lately all the big prizes, Best of Show, Best Quilting, etc. seem to go to art quilts.

I don't think I am very happy about this trend. And this is just MY opinion!
I sure hope that the art quilts don't completely take over, like some others have said, I don't care for the art quilts as much as I do the traditional pieced quilts. I would also like to see more tied quilts. I think there are some who don't even try to enter there quilts because they tie them rather than quilt and that is a shame.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:49 AM

I have noticed too that most traditional quilts are not entered as much in shows and the newer more modern art quilts have seemed to take over. Also the hand quilted quilts do not seem to be the winners as often either. Everything is going so much to machine quilting category and how many embellishments you can put on a quilt. But the same goes for the fact that there are very few hand quilted quilts anymore either. I almost wish there where two different kinds of shows - one for traditional hand quilted quilts and one for machine quilting. Art quilts are very pretty but belong more in a category for fabric art - they are so very different than regular quilts that we use for warmth! Sometimes quilt shows seem to have changed from a quilt show to an art show. I do not mean that in a bad way - it is just different from what maybe it was intended to be in the first place?

One big change over in the quilting world though is that (in my opinion) too many quilters are in such a rush that they want to make every quilt pattern they see and do not want to take the relaxing way of quilting by doing it more by hand. And also by doing things the more modern way with machine some are spending a small (and sometimes large) fortune on sewing machines and supplies.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:59 AM

I myself prefer traditional... I love the log cabin quilts.. I know the others are beautiful, but I am hooked on traditional
Old 11-11-2010, 07:22 AM

The Austin (Texas) Area Quilt Guild Show and Sale in September 2010 had a hand pieced, hand quilted traditional quilt win best in show.

Look at it here

http://www.aaqg.org/winners2010/Awards-i0001.htm

The third quilt in the slides is also by her copied from a quilt made in 1885. She is a real inspiration.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:25 AM

It seems to me that the art quilt artists are trying to outdo each other. I, too, like the old time quilts that are hand pieced and quilted.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:27 AM

What they need is different classes. Art Quilt class and traditional quilt class. I am a piecer and I am drawn toward the traditional quilts.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
What they need is different classes. Art Quilt class and traditional quilt class. I am a piecer and I am drawn toward the traditional quilts.
Almost every quilt show I've been to has categories for Art Quilt and Traditional Quilts.

Maybe the problem is that not enough traditional quilters are entering the shows.