Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping track of your seam ripper >

Keeping track of your seam ripper

Keeping track of your seam ripper

Old 11-17-2010, 11:26 AM

Just as I was about to take comfort in knowing that so many others live with a seam ripper in their hands or at least the proximity, I learn that one person doesn't need one and another doesn't lose hers! WOW!

The friend with whom I often sew is a perfectionist who rips out any seam that offends in any way. For me, if it holds together and the flaw can't be seen from a galloping horse, it's good enough. But I still need a seam ripper, although I really prefer a single edged razor blade.!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:33 PM

hmm wonder if it will hold my scissors pins tape measure and everything else i lose lol
Old 11-17-2010, 12:42 PM

I took a strip of adhesive magnetic striping and put on my seam ripper...my machine is metal so it just stuck to my machine :D i also glued a magnet to the bottom of my pin cushion so it would stay on my machine and not fall off onto the floor/into the trash bin :D
Old 11-17-2010, 01:15 PM

I think your idea is great. Another is put a small piece of velcro on your machine somewhere you are comfortable with it being there and then a small piece of velcro on the ripper. WHEW it has solved my problems..
Old 11-17-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by lizzy
Place a ball, about the size of a marble, made of the yellow tacky stuff ( teachers use to hang all kinds of things on their classroom walls )on your sewing machine. Mine is in the front right hand side at the top where it does not interfere with anything. I hang my small seam ripper there. . Just push the seam ripper into the yellow ball and it's stuck. Now I know where at least one of my seam rippers is handy. Yellow stuff can be removed at any time with no residue left.
I use a block of firm plastic foam used to ship electronics. I stick the point of the seam rippers in to stand up. Works great -- until the area gets so cluttered I can't even find the block. Your way sounds better -- it would take longer for the clutter to hide it. :}
Old 11-17-2010, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the good tips, now maybe I can keep up with thst seam ripper.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:45 PM

I took a piece of blue painters' tape around the cover of my seam ripper and attached it to the top of my sewing machine. Pull out the sr and the cover always stays put and you know where to place your sr when you're through.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:07 PM

That's what I did with my seam ripper. I think I saw the idea on Alex Anderson's show.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:33 PM

Love all these ideas, I thought I was the only one who could actually lose a pair of scissors (large ones with orange handle)! How can this happen. I bought a new pair today and invested in a better pair with a life time guarantee! Now why would I do that? If I lose these do you think I can collect on the guarantee? LOL
Old 11-17-2010, 03:58 PM

I have a small dish (lovely antique) that I love and thought to use it on the right side of my machine, it holds those things I absolutely want to keep track of, special seam ripper, special embroidery scissors, etc. Just because I love it so much, it makes it easy to remember to put those special must haves in place.