Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
will you be shopping on Thanksgiving day? read this >

will you be shopping on Thanksgiving day? read this

will you be shopping on Thanksgiving day? read this

Old 11-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

I don't shop on Thanksgiving nor black Friday. If I was afraid I might have to work on Holidays and I wouldn't want to I would not work a job where it might be a possibility.
Working and getting paid for it would sure be alot nicer and easier than cooking for lots of people. In fact, having a job would give me a good excuse to get out of the real work.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:19 PM

That is ridiculous! Don't you have statutory holidays in the US? We have federally mandated holidays. This is from the Canadian government website:

"All federally regulated employees, managers and professionals are entitled to nine paid, statutory holidays every year. These are also known as general holidays. They are:

•New Year’s Day
•Good Friday
•Victoria Day
•Canada Day
•Labour Day
•Thanksgiving Day
•Remembrance Day
•Christmas Day
•Boxing Day

When New Year’s Day, Canada Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day or Boxing Day falls on a Saturday or Sunday you would not normally work, you are entitled to a holiday with pay on the working day immediately before or after the holiday. If one of the other holidays falls on a weekend, then your employer must add a holiday with pay to your annual vacation or give you a paid day off at another mutually convenient time."

Everything except convenience stores, etc. are closed on these days and stores like drug stores have shorter hours. Practically nowhere is open on Christmas Day at all.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:21 PM

I feel that stores have the right to open if they so wish, but the staff should be completely volunteer. There are many employees who either don't observe certain holidays, or celebrate at an earlier or later time, and much rather work and get paid extra for their time. If not enough staff is available, don't open. I like that restaurants can be found open. Not everyone can cook a meal or have the time, like health care personnel, and is great to come out of work and go out to eat with the family, like I have had to do once or twice. But retail can certainly wait.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:34 PM

No shopping on Thanksgiving Day or other family oriented Holidays. We older (65+) quilters & friends remember the lovely holidays without any shopping. And who in their right mind wants to go out early Friday morning to be run ddown by mobs of people, not me or my family. Best of Holiday wishes to each and everyone of you!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:33 PM

People have lost the meaning of Christmas and giving.
Like everyone has said that works on theses days, people are RUDE anymore. They have lost the true meaning............
Caring, helping, compassion, giving and being Thankful.....
instead of crude ,rude and disrespectful to people shopping.
Will NOT be shopping on Thanksgiving........
Old 11-23-2010, 07:52 PM

I worked for a video store that was open 365 days a year and believe it or not yes we were busy on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. I hated when people came in saying it is so sad you have to work on a holiday. I justed wanted to say if people wouldn't come in - we wouldn't have to be open.
As long as they can make money - stores will be open. Stay home and be with your families at least these few days a year.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:20 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by watterstide
i heard on the news today, that Kohls will be open at 3am!
that is jut crazy!
Aint't that the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:20 PM

I won't shop either T-day or Black Friday. I want to send a message to stores that I don't support having people work Thanksgiving or in the middle of the night on Friday morning. They continue to be open such ridiculous hours because people show up. Stop going and they will stop opening.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:06 PM

Greed has taken over that's for sure including christmas decorations and trees in store by early October.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:09 PM
bj

I still remember when most stores closed on Sunday. and the ones that opened on Sunday had to close on Saturday. I think it was called the blue law here in Texas. I think it's sad that making money is more important than fostering families. I don't do black Friday, and I won't be shopping anywhere on Thanksgiving Day. I'm sure my business won't be missed. I'm not much of a shopper anyway.