Question -- using caps

Old 12-11-2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by mcar
All caps is hard to read. It is considered yelling....or written by a person with emotional problems. Don't do it. Use just on occasion to bring attention to an idea.
Excuse me?????????? I don't believe I have emotional problems...... I'm SURE you don't mean it the way I took this. I also don't believe anyone on this board that uses all caps has emotional problems. :?
Old 12-11-2010, 07:42 AM

Yes, all caps is yelling in emails. I use italics to highlight. The fact that they want to talk with you personally shows care.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:51 AM

If I were you I would UNREGISTER myselfl, whatever it takes to do it! This company is not worth it and there must be others out there instead.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:16 PM

I think one word in caps just emphasizes that word or phrase.
I have a SIL who writes all her emails in caps and I find them difficult to read.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Originally Posted by mcar
All caps is hard to read. It is considered yelling....or written by a person with emotional problems. Don't do it. Use just on occasion to bring attention to an idea.
Excuse me?????????? I don't believe I have emotional problems...... I'm SURE you don't mean it the way I took this. I also don't believe anyone on this board that uses all caps has emotional problems. :?
OK we can take it this way, I have emotional problems because I am always happy and bubbly and love being on this board and I get so excited reading all the wonderful things on here , so if that makes me emotional with problems,,,,I am there ROFL. The problem being....I can't get enough of this board. Merry Christmas all.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-141640.gif  
Old 12-11-2010, 12:41 PM

When on eor two words are in all caps I take it as emphasis too. If your entire message was all caps or, the tone of the message was hostile then I would take it as yelling. I think the person who read the message is trying to chastise you. I would call back and tell them you are frustrated, not angry.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:17 PM

I have heard that all caps is like yelling, too. That said, I don't like to read a message in all caps. Hurts my eyes! I generally will just skip right over it.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I do it to DRAW ATTENTION TO things I consider important. I only consider it yelling if the tone of the entire email is confrontational, argumentative or abusive. :lol:
That is the way I emphathize something. I use ALL CAPS when I want something to stand out.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:53 PM

Wow I learn something new everytime I get on line...I did not know that caps was yelling...please accept my appoliges...Just lazy when typing not angry
Old 12-11-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I understand that using all caps is usually considered yelling. Sometimes I know people that aren't typists find it easier to just use all caps. I know it's harder to read. My question has nothing to do with anyone on this forum, but I received an e-mail today that kinda upset me....so I want the opinion of all you wonderful people.

I sent a letter to a company that provides free webinars (classes). You have to sign up for the webinar and then you are able to see the recorded sessions. I've tried numerous times to see the recorded sessions. The last time it had me re-register. I still couldn't get in. Now, a week later I got a letter reminding me of a new class I'd signed up for on Dec. 15. I hadn't signed up for a class. I checked their website and there is no class scheduled. I wrote asking about it and here is one part of what I wrote: "Now I get an e-mail from you reminding me of a class on Wed. Dec. 15!!! WHAT class????? ". I just got an e-mail back saying this: "I have just arrived at the office and re read your email below.
From the way that I have read your email the tone is confusing to me. All cap generally means you are yelling at me, so I stepped back and re read it. Please give me a call at the office so that we can help you with your viewing the recorded sessions.".

Would you have had the impression that the "WHAT" is me yelling? I do that a lot --- from working for years at a job where we emphasized certain things......If you all do, then I will try to refrain from doing that. :)
IMHO - I read your 'WHAT' as a question, but I am just an old broad. WHAT do I know? :oops: