Is it offensive?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I think that there's entirely too much "political correctness" in the world today. I'm not religious but wishing me a Merry Christmas doesn't offend me at all. Unfortunately, Christmas, Thanksgiving and any other major holiday is so commercialized that the REAL meaning of the holiday is forgotten, it's about how much money they can get you to spend and go into debt for.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A GREAT NEW YEAR TO ALL.
I agree with you completely except I am a Christian and I say Merry Christmas or Christmas Blessings. I am glad that even though you say you are not religious, you accept the Merry Christmas greeting without offense. I wish everyone would do the same. Oh, how right you are about the real meaning of the holidays being forgotten by so many...it makes me sad...but they are not lost to me and my family and friends and we do celebrate the real meaning of Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I wish you all a Blessed Christmas and a Blessings beyond measure for the New Year.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

I think some people like to be offended.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:04 AM

I am guilty of using Xmas a lot, but it is because it is difficult for me to write or type, not because I am leaving out Christ. I guess I never thought about that being offending to anyone. As for being PC, I am 71 years old, I am who I am, not about to do much different for the rest of my life. If I offend, I am sorry, not my intention to offend anyone, and I doubt if others mean to offend me. Why walk around with a chip on your shoulder all the time. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! BTW, I have a dear neighbor who is Jewish, and she sends me a Christmas card and wishes me merry Christmas , and I respond in her faith.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I think some people like to be offended.
I agree! my one DD works as a waitress and had someone go off on her because she dressed up for halloween(requested to do so by her emp.)she wasn't dressed as anything evil - a raggedy ann - but it "offended" these folks
Old 12-22-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by SuziC
I don't know when the "politically correct" police got involved but i believe whenever you wish someone happiness is should be okay no matter which phrase you use! Some celebrate and some don't but everyone could use a little good cheer these days :!: Happy Everything!!!
Hear, hear!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

I say Merry Christmas, but I will also reply with Happy Holidays too.
I know in my heart what this season means to me, and I try and be respectful to other's beliefs too. :D:D:D
Old 12-22-2010, 09:06 AM

I haven't had anyone go off on me yet. I think if they did I would apologize and tell them I only meant to wish happiness and for things to go well for them during this season but if it would make them happy then have a rotten holiday.
So sick of politically correct.
I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays
Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba
I don't get offended when folks wish me a merry christmas or happy hanukkah or whatever. I just ask that if you wish me a merry christmas that you don't get your panties in a wad if I wish you a Happy Solstice....
I'm with you!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:19 AM

I am a "Merry Christmas" person from early childhood. But, I do have some Jewish friends on my holiday list - I always try to find two different card styles - one says Merry Christmas and one says Happy Holidays. I try to be mindful of the beliefs of my friends when sending cards. Not sure why anyone would take offense at Happy Holidays - does that mean they don't recognize New Years as a holiday? I wonder if they volunteer to work Christmas and New Years at their jobsso that those who do celebrate can have the day off? My guess would be "NO". That said - Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all on the board!!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 AM

My opinion is this: I cannot be expected to know the personal beliefs of everyone I meet. I don't necessarily assume that everyone celebrates Christmas, but I assume that well-wishes are to be taken for what they are - which is well-wishes, so I wish everyone a Merry Christmas. I have no particular problem with "Happy Holidays" but it just sounds bland to me.

Christmas is celebrated as a secular holiday by some and a religious holiday by others, so to me wishing "Merry Christmas" has no particular religious overtones.

I would not be offended if someone wished me a happy day on a holiday that I don't celebrate myself.