Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pay it forward... >

Pay it forward...

Pay it forward...

Old 01-09-2011, 06:28 AM

The sad truth is that with bad economy or not, between big box stores and Internet suppliers, the local shops are doomed. We are trained to look for the best deal, if I can get the same fabric for $6 a yard ordering it from ----.com and maybe even get free shipping if I order enough, I surely won't pay $10 for it at ---Quilt Shop. The ease and convenience of ordering online and the great deals because most of these online suppliers don't have as high keepup costs as local shops do,make it an attractive choice for many.
Sadly, I see a world in the not-so-distant future, where we won't be able to go to a shop to buy fabric(or many other things), and we'll HAVE to order everything online. Many may not mind...but it saddens me greatly. I have great time visiting my LQS (there are five within a 30 minute drive from house), touching fabric, matching things up and talking and listening to stories. I've never seen a LQS get wealthy, they charge what they need to charge to keep the lights on and generate little income to live on.

OK, I am off of my soapbox...
Old 01-09-2011, 06:28 AM

I really try to support my LQS, but the past few times I've been there I've gotten so upset that I swear I will not go back.

1. Advertised hours on the door, but 2 out of the last 4 times I've gone there she's already locked up and left over an hour before her closing time. One time she was still open with an hour left before she's supposed to close, but when I walk in the door she picks up her phone and calls to order a pizza and then adds at the end that if she's late to pick it up, don't worry she'll be there, as SOMEBODY just walked in her door.
2. One time I picked up a bolt of fabric and noticed water stains down the bolt. I then looked at several of the bolts on that particular shelving unit and they ALL had water stains. I asked her if this was a bargain area and she said no, full price on the fabrics. When I pointed out the water staining she did a poor job of pretending I was the first person to notice the water staining and said not to worry it would all wash out. The fabrics I was looking at were all tone on tone beiges and off-whites. Needless to say, I didn't buy any.
3. Took a beginning quilting class and we didn't even get halfway through the project as the teacher just wasn't in the mood to teach it since she'd just had a death in her family. The owner and the teacher pretty much sat in the owner's office and talked while we in the classroom tried to lead each other through the project.

Unfortunately, this is really my only LQS.

I have signed up to take another beginning quilt class at another LQS and will have to drive almost an hour just to get to the class, but when I was in the shop last week they were so nice and their samples are so beautiful. The staff members were very knowledgeable and two of them took the time to pull fabrics and help with suggestions for my class fabrics. I needed 1 focus fabric and then 3 light and 3 dark complementary fabrics. I bet they had over 50 bolts pulled helping me pick my choices. Now this is what a quilt shop should be. I start the class on the 19th.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 AM

I am sorry to hear about your LQS. Business are closing everywhere and as much as we want to help, it is impossilbe to help all businesses stay open. You may suggest that she also try to market to younger people. We as consumers have allowed our industries to go overseas instead of demanding made in the USA products. I tried very hard not to buy made in China several years ago, but guess what, I lost. Pretty much everything is made in China even fabric now. I loved Walmart when Sam Walton was alive because he sold made in the USA products. He knew that if we did not buy American products, our economy would fall. Weren't anybody listening? Had we taken a stand and demanded American made, what kind of America would we be today? Just a thought!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:17 AM

I always shop at my LQS. Actually her prices are lower than the only other fabric store in town (HobbyLobby). I not only buy fabric but I buy templates and acessories for my Bernina machine.
Not only do I get alot of good stuff at fair prices, but I also get a lot of tips and help from the owner and women that frequent the shop. I am actually glad that Walmart stopped their fabric dept, because I have made new friends because of it.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:54 AM

i was just going to mention the same thing, ask her. It would be polite and helpful.
I wish I had more local stores than just Joanne's. I want to talk Walmart into taking our coupon's. I first told they will take our C for other things that match ,but not fabric. this last time the lady told me they don't know what Joanne's charge for there's and I said it wouldn't matter we would be happy if you just took our coupon's.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:19 AM

Something that has always bothered me in this type of happening is that if the shop (or any business) decides to close because they can't survive, the masses flock to the store to grab up the "bargains." I'm hesitant to do that because I feel that if I didn't support that business while they were open and viable, why be a "shopper" when they are closing.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:33 AM

Many local quilt shops have sale sections if one cannot purchase fabric at full price - even buying this helps - with prices going up it definitely is going to be another stash buster time for many provided they didn't deplete their stash last year.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:45 AM

My LQS is about an hour away, but it's wonderful! I don't go often as I am just now getting into quilting and haven't really started yet, just took the class so far. That was last year. I have been buying fabric for about two years, mostly online, but I did get a bunch of the Kaufmann Flourish line there this year when it came out so I wouldn't lose out on getting it, it's so pretty, and I go to the fat quarter sales and stock up. Anyway, I was going to say also that there are a lot of things we can get at the shops, all the geegaws and such. Last week my daughter and I went into Houston for a furniture shopping trip for her, and I stopped by the shop just for the heck of it, and asked about some machines that they had on sale. By the time I left, I had put in layaway my first new 'quilting' machine, a Janome 3160, even though I had thought not to do it till I was able to get serious about starting to make quilts. My current machine was a cheapo Brother from Walmart for about 70 bucks. Yeah. 'Nuff said, right? anyway, the next day we had to go back to Houston to take care of details for Daughter's furniture purchase, and stopped by the Lazyboy place. THey had just what I needed to replace our old one, but it was a lot of course. I started really thinking how foolish I was to put that machine on layaway, when there are so many things we need right now. I considered calling them to ask to cancel the purchase, but finally decided against it. Now I am so glad I decided not to cancel. I had not considered what the shops are going through now. I will just have to wait for the other things that are more needful, but I am happy that I am keeping the machine. I can't wait to use it, so it will definitely be an incentive to get into my sewing!
Old 01-09-2011, 12:29 PM

Please check out this web page. I found it in a recent newsletter from one of my LQS's. We need to support our local economies to the extent we can afford it. Not all of us can. But if we can, those few extra dollars that we might spend pay off.

http://www.the350project.net/home.html
Old 01-09-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by cmw0829
Please check out this web page. I found it in a recent newsletter from one of my LQS's. We need to support our local economies to the extent we can afford it. Not all of us can. But if we can, those few extra dollars that we might spend pay off.

http://www.the350project.net/home.html
Great link! Thanks for sharing.