Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opinion on "Quilt Kits"? >

What is your opinion on "Quilt Kits"?

What is your opinion on "Quilt Kits"?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

I've never purchased a kit, because I prefer to select my own fabrics. (That wasn't always so - 4 years ago, fabric selection was my least favorite part of quilting.) The more you practice that part of quilt making, the better you will get at it, and the more you will enjoy it. However, if I decide to purchase a kit someday, I wouldn't hesitate to get it from CT. I don't think you pay a premium there for having the pieces cut into a kit, the prices are reasonable to start with, the fabrics are nice quality, and there is usually an opportunity to buy more of the same fabrics if you want a larger quilt. Actually, one reason I might buy a kit if it was for fabrics that I don't have in my stash, such as reproduction 30's or civil war.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:08 AM

ATVRIDER........That is a beautiful quilt!!!

I also shop Keepsake quilting and love the look of their quilts and fabrics.

After reading everyone's posts, I think I will order one from either CT or Keepsake and give it a try.

Thanks for all the information!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:08 AM

I bought a kit from my local quilt/fabric shop and don't even know the brand it was, but that is what has me hooked on quilting. The fabric patterns and panels just called to me. The top is finnished and I'm pouring over all the freemotion links I can find here to learn from. Haven't got a clue about threads and batting, but it did come with backing in the kit. Typically I sew and embroider. I have a brother 4000D, that's 4 years old. Just want it to look nice, so I think I'm going to do some in the hoop quilting squares and some book patterns and then try to free motion on them before I put the quilt together. YES I'm afraid of messing it up and so far it looks really great.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:11 AM

Connecting Threads has wonderful kits and I have always had fabric left over. They have great customer service also. Sometimes I also buy the kit for the fabric and the pattern is just a bonus if I use it or not.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:21 AM

I bought one BOM from Hancocks and I had material left over and I'm working on a BOM from Keepsake Quilting and it has lots of material left over. I did have to purchase the backing separately which was stated up front so no surprises there. I'm very pleased. I also suck at matching fabrics.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:21 AM

I don't usually buy kits as, Lord knows, I have enough fabric to make kits myself :lol: .................that said, I just ordered CT Hooterville kit as I have 2 babies (not mine :-P ) on the way to make quilts for. The kit pic shows little owls and I couldn't resist.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:51 AM

My stash is adequate so I do not buy kits, Friends have had those that are pre cut. Seems the fabric is not top of the line and there is no allowance for errors. I am certain the Kits from CT, and Keepsake are better quality and provide enough fabric of good quality hopefully enough to cover cutting errors.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:20 PM

have only brought two. one had not enough fabric (from lqs!) to finish. the other (all batiks) got broken into for other projects! what i do like about kits is that i had fabrics that i probably would not have chosen, but loved.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I always have extra fabric then needed for the pattern from a CT kit. If you don't then all you have to do is call them. They have great customer service. I will by a kit just for the fabric when it's on clearance. I have had good luck with kits from Hancocks of Paducah being generous with the fabric for the kits too.
I have done that several times from CT - especially when they have their kits on clearance or on their weekly sale.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:29 PM

When you purchas a kit, is the fabric cut out for you?