Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine needle threader >

Sewing machine needle threader

Sewing machine needle threader

Old 02-04-2011, 03:37 AM

I'm flabbergasted!! You don't like your needle threaders on your machines? I love mine! I have a cheap Janome and my needle threader is fabulous! On the old machines I use the cheap little wire threaders, also. I'm sure you've all gone over your manuals to see why the needle threaders don't work, right? I,too, have bifocals and getting my head cocked just right to see that dang little hole if a real pain in the neck, so my needle threader is a God send!! I've never seen the independent threaders. With so many different machines I'd wonder how it could ever work, but since I've not seen one, I won't judge it. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:40 AM

I am newly long sighted so even with glasses threading my machine needles was something I was dreaded and then I had a lightbulb moment.

I remembered something I was told in a class I took several years ago that most sewing machine needles have a groove leading to the eye. If you cut your thread on the diagonal so you have a point and no little filaments fraying out of it, you can stroke the thread down the front of the needle and it will 'pop' into the eye.

This works 9 out of 10 times for me. The failure is due to the fact I would have not cut my threat on a 45 degree angle!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:45 AM

Caroline, I don't know how well they work, but in looking for cheaper "One Second Needles" online, I learned that there are self threading machine needles! It sounds good, but wonder how well they hold onto the thread while sewing. I think JoAnn's has them. Has anyone here used them?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:55 AM

Both my machines have needle threaders on them.
My Bernina 180E came with a needle threader. And I love it.
After buying my Bernina 150 I had problems seeing to thread my needle. So for xmas last year my husband took my machine to the Bernina dealer and had a needle threader installed. Cost for parts and labor was $80.00.
It is a different style and took awhile to get used to.
For me it was well worth the cost.
I would definitley check with your dealer and have one installed.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:11 AM

I have tweezers that I use to thread my machine. They work perfectly, holding the thread close to the eye of the needle.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:50 AM

My needle threader is not working, however when I was just learning to sew (long ago) I was shown how to "spit" on the tip of my finger, wipe the needle hole from behind, line up the thread and it will "suck"it through.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rose L
Have you tried holding a scrap of white paper up behind the needle when you thread it? It helps to make the eye stand out so you can see where you are going with the thread. Just a thought.

Rose
That's what I do. It helps tremendously. I keep an old business card handy for this.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:34 AM

OK, Ladies, I had the same problems! What I was doing wrong was, I did not line up the turn knob on the right side to line up w/ the seam on the machine cabinet THEN be sure to let the presser foot down. If you have threaded the machine correctly, it will work AND it's worth it because I can't see to thread it manually (like you guys). Try it!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:50 AM

My Brother has a needle threader and I called it every name in the book until I figured out you have to have the needle in a certain position for the threader to work. If it's too high or too low it doesn't work. Try different needle positions and see if that helps.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:50 AM
RJ

I purchased a lighted wire needle threader for my long arm---it was inexpensive and works great----ny other 2 machines both have needle threaders---one threads itself---and I have never had problems with either one