Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine needle threader >

Sewing machine needle threader

Sewing machine needle threader

Old 02-04-2011, 07:03 AM

I have purchased and they are still available at Keepsake Quilting (I believe) a magnifying glass that you may attach to your sewing machine above the needle. It is made so that it can be adjusted as to where you look through it.

I bought mine several years ago when I was SID (stitching in the ditch) for my grandson's quilt. My lighting was not that good and the magnifyer helped me very much.

There are also, on the market, stronger glasses that you could wear just to thread your needle. I know how frustrating that can be and in the past I have walked away from my machine because I could not get it threaded. (Days before I wore glasses.) Yolanda Wood River
Old 02-04-2011, 07:08 AM

I bought a little needle threader called Perfect Sew. I think I got it from Clothilde catalog. It is a plastic stick about 4 inches long with a wire sticking out at right angles at the end. On the end of the wire is a little hook. You stick the wire through the machine needle from the back (holding stick on left side of machine), loop the thread around the little hook and pull the threader back. It works perfectly and only cost a couple of bucks. I love it.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:29 AM

I have several Janome machines and their threaders are priceless to me. I think it is just a matter of having everything in the right place at the right time. That means having the thread take-up lever at its highest point, laying the thread across the threader and then allowing the threader to do it's work. Sometimes practice helps along with getting the threader broke in to being used. Not all threaders are created equal, but all my Janome's have great threaders.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:40 AM

I'm with Linda B about the machine theader. I find that if I use a piece of bright yellow post it note folded that I can see the needle. I only have one eye so it is tricky. I did buy a hand needle threader by Buhin I believe is the spelling and they are suppose to have a needle threader for machines also but haven't found one yet. If anyone finds one let us know please.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by cjr
It seems to be getting more difficult to thread my sewing machine needles .(yes I wear glasses & was recently seen by eye DR). Two questions 1. Do you use an independent threader for your machine, and is it worth the money??? Do not seem to be expensive on Ebay. #2. If you are store front or on line seller do you sell them and what is price? I would prefer to buy from someone here rather then outsider.

Thank you in advance for your help

Quiltingly, CJR
Caroline
I haven't read through all the responses so this may duplicate someone else's. The BEST needle threader I have found is two fold--Use Superior's titanium top stitch needles as they have a larger hole. I use them for ALL my sewing. Then lick the tip of your finger and rub it against the needle. Be sure the thread is cut at an angle that so the point of the angle is away from the thread source. I usually lick the end of the thread too but that is optional. There is something in your saliva that draws the thread in--It is amazing but it does work. I learned this in a quilting class and have read a number of other times about the process. Sure is worth trying. This works with hand sewing needles as well.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:52 AM

Self threading sewing machines are great as long as you don't jam the needle against the top of your foot because you are trying to zig-zag with the straight stitch foot on the machine. I've quit trying to keep mine in repair, because I seem to be very prone to jamming them out of position.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:53 AM

I too have a self threading machine that I thought was wonderful! It broke; I got it fixed and it hasn't worked since. Plus they tell you your threads and needles have to be just right. So I too am back to the magnifing glass.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rose L
Have you tried holding a scrap of white paper up behind the needle when you thread it? It helps to make the eye stand out so you can see where you are going with the thread. Just a thought.

Rose
Ditto! This is what I've always done so that I can see the needle hole. It makes it much easier to thread by hand.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by moreland
Self threading sewing machines are great as long as you don't jam the needle against the top of your foot because you are trying to zig-zag with the straight stitch foot on the machine. I've quit trying to keep mine in repair, because I seem to be very prone to jamming them out of position.
I do that, too!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

try sliding a piece of white paper behind the needle to see the needle hole easier. it does help. i'm having more trouble now and keep forgetting my machine has a needle threader on it!