Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are the Challenges of Piecing and Quilting with Flannel? >

What are the Challenges of Piecing and Quilting with Flannel?

What are the Challenges of Piecing and Quilting with Flannel?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nolee
Originally Posted by cmw0829
Thank you all for the valuable information. I took DH to an LQS today and we fondled the flannels so I could get an idea of what he likes.
Can't you get arrested for that? LOL
Hahaha! I also like to pet fabric. :)
Old 02-13-2011, 08:27 AM

The first challenge would be touching it. Shudder.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i love working with flannel, been using flannel in sewing for many years, in all seasons; i always buy good quality, heavy double sided flannel. i have found some very good deals at fabric.com; but i pay the big bucks at quilt shops for benartex flannels too...they are wonderful to work with. i never starch my flannels, i only spritz with water...do not over press, you will distort. i've used warm & natural batting and dream wool batting in flannel quilts...both are wonderful, the quilts are soft, fluffy, luxurious and very warm so well loved in cold climates :thumbup:
Your quilt is beautiful.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:03 PM

I am making my firstvquilt with flannel. I pre washed and ironed with starch. Fabric still stretched but I am making it work. The back will be fleece. My LQS suggested that I not quilt it but let them do it as fleece shifts. I am a new quilter, less than one year. This is a baby quilt for my great niece. I have only Stitched in ditch or done straight line quilting with tape. I would like to do this whole project myself. Any advice?
Old 02-13-2011, 03:53 PM

Pre-shrink the flannel in your machine with hot water at least twice, and don't get the really thin flannel.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:47 PM

I have made maybe 10 flannel quilts and NEVER PREWASHED. Just make sure like others said buy good quality flannel. It looks nice after it is done and you wash it. Also clean the bobbin area often
Old 02-13-2011, 05:04 PM

I have not read thru the entire list of answers, but be sure you take the finished quilt to a laundromat to wash and dry.
BTW, I don't pre-wash, I use flannel for batting - however I make rag quilts.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:18 PM

I never prewash my flannel for my rag quilts and I have made about 20 now. I make them for every new baby and some of my older babies who use them on the sofa while watching tv.
I think it is important to wash them after rag cutting the edges and I usually wash them 3 or 4 times before giving them away. I also clean out the lint filter in the dryer about every 10 minutes because I was advised that it will have a lot of lint. It does. I use 8 inch squares and some rectangles. I have never done a triangle.....good luck and have fun with it.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by chiaraquilts
I made a flannel quilt for each of my grandchildren- a few tips: definitely prewash and dry (expect a lot of thready tangly stuff when you do this). As someone else said, top quality flannel is worth it- and it does stretch more than cotton, I found piecing triangles was more challenging than usual when working with flannel, you may want to take this into consideration when planning your design.
On new flannel, I also serge the cut ends before I wash it. Helps keep my washer from clogging up.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:38 PM

I've been a widow for 3 yrs now & have just cut my DH's flannel shirts into blocks for a quilt. I'm doing 8 inch Mountain Man (because he was a lot like one) and cut the pocket area into 8 inch blocks when the shirt had enough material to do it. I'd rather cuddle up to a man wearing a flannel shirt, but until another one comes along, the quilt will have to do.