Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2015/16 birthday swap...candy style 2.5" >

2015/16 birthday swap...candy style 2.5"

2015/16 birthday swap...candy style 2.5"

Old 04-14-2015, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by barbarakibler23 View Post
Just one more ...right sewbizgirl???
Yep... just waiting on Theifner's, which seems to be lost in the mail.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:59 PM

okay thanks
keep us posted
Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 PM

Hello Everyone

I just want to give everyone a heads up for the Month of May. We have 4 birthdays next month and the first one is on May 1. You should be cutting your squares and have them ready for when I post the addresses in your Personal messages.

Here are a few hints to make next month go smoother.
1) cut NOW get them already to package them. YOU MUST SEND 50 DIFFERENT 2.5" squares.
2) use a large size envelope to mail your squares...I put them in 5 rows of 10 and cover them with saran wrap. This will make your package thin. I put them inside of a birthday card that I bought at the dollar store (2 for $1.00) hey you guys are worth it!. This package will take a 70 cent stamp.
3) I have my stuff all in one place...birthday cards, return address (also put your board name on outside) and 70 cent stamps. I have them sitting in a basket with the birthdate of the person where the stamp goes. Then I know I have the right card and squares for that person.
4) I try and get them mailed at least 10 days BEFORE their birthday.
5) you can subscribe to this thread. Go to the top of this page....you will see "Thread Tools" click not that and it will give you an email letting you know when anyone posts things. You can set at your choice. I would say that everyday would be good. (not every post...) This way you will see when I post a contest.
6) Sit back and relax and enjoy another positive feedback from ME. I love to give positive feedback. Please don't make me ever give negative feedback. As a hostess I would not let anyone join my swaps if I see they have negative feedback. So you don't want that to happen to you.

Anyone else with tips for sending packages????

Barb
Old 04-15-2015, 04:38 AM

Well Sewbizgirl - you did say red, red, and more red - ;-) hope your day was just great!
Old 04-15-2015, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Daisy Dew View Post
Well Sewbizgirl - you did say red, red, and more red - ;-) hope your day was just great!
LOL... love the reds you sent! Also all the greens! Thank you.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

That was bjsmith who said that, actually... post 168, but I like reds too. Green is my favorite color and you sent me plenty of those!

Ladies, I've been having fun sorting my squares today so that I can make a Scrappy Swoon baby quilt. In going through them I was disheartened to find so many duplicates were sent to me. Most of the sets I got had repeats. Please realize this swap is for 50 UNIQUE (that means 'no two alike') squares. You will find that all of the swaps on the board, for all size squares, want you to send all different squares with no repeats. This is nothing new. Please be sure to have 50 all-different squares going out to all the other birthday ladies in this swap.

I had put all the squares in one big pile, so I have no idea who sent me the repeats. So... if you did it, you got away with it! Please don't do it again...
Old 04-15-2015, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
That was bjsmith who said that, actually... post 168, but I like reds too. Green is my favorite color and you sent me plenty of those!

Ladies, I've been having fun sorting my squares today so that I can make a Scrappy Swoon baby quilt. In going through them I was disheartened to find so many duplicates were sent to me. Most of the sets I got had repeats. Please realize this swap is for 50 UNIQUE (that means 'no two alike') squares. You will find that all of the swaps on the board, for all size squares, want you to send all different squares with no repeats. This is nothing new. Please be sure to have 50 all-different squares going out to all the other birthday ladies in this swap.

I had put all the squares in one big pile, so I have no idea who sent me the repeats. So... if you did it, you got away with it! Please don't do it again...
After being in a number of 2-1/2" candy swaps, I've come up with my own sorting system that should prevent any duplicates, but I always send along 2-4 extra squares just to be sure.

I know what you mean, though. In a recent candy swap (not this one), there was one package that was very problematic. It had MANY duplicates, and also quite a few wonky/undersized squares. Luckily I opened each package individually as I was sorting them, and still had the labelled baggie handy, so it was easy to see who sent them. Normally one or two duplicates and/or slight mis-cuts don't bother me, but this package was disappointing. I PMed the swap hostess to let her know. It turns out that I wasn't the only person who received a sub-par package from her. If she wants to join again, the hostess is going to discuss the duplicates and mis-cut squares with her first. From what I've seen, she's a fairly new swapper, so maybe she overlooked the part about "no duplicates", and perhaps she didn't realize that the squares do need to be accurately cut. But anyway, that's a totally different swap and I'm getting off topic.

My birthday is one of the ones that's coming up in May. I'm so excited! I wonder if I should mail myself some "birthday candies"? Hee hee!
Old 04-16-2015, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
My birthday is one of the ones that's coming up in May. I'm so excited! I wonder if I should mail myself some "birthday candies"? Hee hee!
You are in for so much fun!
Old 04-16-2015, 10:59 AM

What I've done this year: too much fun! I go to the LQS and pick out 3 or 4 bolts of wonderfulness and buy 1/2yd of each. When I bring them home I cut 1 FQ for me and the other FQ goes into my very special tote labeled "Sharing" and that is what I use cause you can cut 40- 2-1/2" squares from 1FQ. I so look forward to LQS shopping day!

There is just no way I would cut 50 squares every month - Mine are all done and just waiting to be sent off to their new home That's why my DH gave me a GoBig cutter - I love it. Too many years of rotary cutting, my wrists were feeling the ware!
Old 04-16-2015, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

There is just no way I would cut 50 squares every month - Mine are all done and just waiting to be sent off to their new home That's why my DH gave me a GoBig cutter - I love it. Too many years of rotary cutting, my wrists were feeling the ware!
I can always tell the people who cut with a GO cutter. Their squares are all perfect and have NO stray fibers or threads. So pretty. Are those cutters expensive?

I have been playing with my new birthday squares today... more sorting... and have started a Scrappy Swoon. The center is green and the background is cream neutrals. I'm not sure what I'll do for the other color... maybe blue. This one is going to be a baby quilt so I am making use of the kids prints y'all sent in your batches of squares.

The swoon quilt is FUN!