Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made? >
  • What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

• What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

Old 11-12-2011, 02:00 PM

Default surgical hats

McCall's P376 Iff you can't find it, email me [email protected]
    Originally Posted by DebbE
    I would LOVE the pattern for the surgical hats. I recently started work in a dental office at the front desk (completely different field for me & I'm 55) and would dearly love to make a bunch of these as little 'thank you's' for all the folks that have made my transition to the new job so much easier. Please, please share with us? Deb
    Old 11-12-2011, 04:21 PM

My DH reminded me that years ago i made my dad, who suffered a stroke, men's pants with velcro on the waistband (to keep them up, velcro would stick to his woolrich wool shirts) and a velcro fly. Gave him more dignity while being disabled. My mother and I sewed velcro spots on the wool shirts too, so he could dress himself. He didn't look too neat at first, but he was sooo proud of himself. That was way back in the 1970's. My mother was a piece worker in a slip factory when I was younger. I got her sewing gene, although she never quilted. She crocheted like a demon.
    Old 11-12-2011, 06:12 PM

What a wonderful thread read all 43 pages. My claim to fame was a baby doll pajama set made out of a clear garbage bag and lots of red lace. Was a big hit at a bridal shower!!!
    Old 11-12-2011, 08:24 PM

I made an elephant hat for a college friend " development elephant" It was made of silver lining fabric and soft sculpted like Cabbage Patch dolls. It was made over a ball cap and cute as can be. She won an A for the effort. It took all night, but it was fun.
    Old 11-12-2011, 08:49 PM

I used to make "boots" for a machine part. They looked like vinyl (oil resistant) dryer hoses almost...22 circles (6" in diameter) with a 3" hole in the center...all joined to form a long tube that expanded and contracted with the machine shaft. Those were the most unusual.
    Old 11-12-2011, 08:55 PM

Can't think of anything unusual i have made.
    Old 11-12-2011, 11:17 PM

I think the most unusual thing I have made is a Pee-Pee Tee-Pee. If you have ever had to change a little boys diaper, then you know what the cool air does. So after getting sprayed a few times, I came up with a cone shaped Tee Pee to place strategically as I changed the diaper.
    Old 11-13-2011, 12:24 AM

It is a pleasure to be in the company of so many talented and dedicated women. I've enjoyed reading this very long thread!

I guess the most unusual thing that I have ever made was a new fabric seat for a baby walker that was probably originally sold in the 1950's. It had a wire frame and the little wooden beads on the front of it as play things. My little grandson was visiting and we needed a way to corral him a bit. DH dug this walker contraption out of the barn's hay mow. So I cleaned it well and made a new seat for it. It didn't last long, my grandson was a very very fat baby and he ripped it the first day we put him in it, lol! I never knew a baby could have such a perturbed look on their face until that day.
    Old 11-13-2011, 05:47 AM

I used to take scraps from a project and make them into pieced little squares, rectangles, and odd shapes of all sizes. Since I joined this board I have learned they are called mug rugs!!! My kids like them now they have a name! LOL!
    Old 11-13-2011, 10:13 AM

Default Most Unusual Item made

I took a wedding dress that had been worn by 3 family members and made Bible covers, hankerchiefs and a garter for a new bride of one of the family members.