Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How many members live on the farm or ranch? >

How many members live on the farm or ranch?

How many members live on the farm or ranch?

Old 03-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by bjeriann
We only had 10 acres but we had cows, pigs, chickens, and a 3 acres garden. It felt like a small farm to us. Growing up in a farming community, I do miss it, but not the wonderful smells that came with it.
ha...those smells...my Ex was a farmer from MI..over 380 acres of crop fields...and one day the pig farmer came to spread manure in the back field, there was no fencing between field and yard, and before I could grab him my Irish setter was off...he would just roll around in that stuff...gosh what a smell...

my ex FIL would sniff deep and say...smells like money to me....
Yep anytime one of us complained about the smell my grandpa would say the same thing! He also used to take us down to the basement and show us the bushel of soybeans he had in the basement for testing. We would get the lecture about the future of soybeans in the world. They weren't as prominant in the world then. But Grandpa was sure they were going to feed the world! LOL If he could only see all the things they use them for now!

There was a couple who thought of my dad as one of their kids and when we visited them you had to use the outhouse because they didnt have indoor plumbing. They carried water from the well for washing.

When my mom pottytrained me they only had an outhouse. My grandparents still had one in their backyard and we used that when we were playing outside so we didn't have to go in the house. On the side of the driveway there was a handpump with a metal cup hung on it. We all used it and never thought about sharing germs.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:09 PM

I grew up in an urban ara but used to go and visit my mother's sister who married a farmer. I was afraid of everything. They had a large busy farm with milking cows and pigs. The pig sheds were very near the house, with all that entails. My older cousins loved making me feel clueless and telling me about people drowning in slurry pits, etc. I found it all very challenging and it did not give me a love of farm life at all!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Yep anytime one of us complained about the smell my grandpa would say the same thing! He also used to take us down to the basement and show us the bushel of soybeans he had in the basement for testing. We would get the lecture about the future of soybeans in the world. They weren't as prominant in the world then. But Grandpa was sure they were going to feed the world! LOL If he could only see all the things they use them for now!

There was a couple who thought of my dad as one of their kids and when we visited them you had to use the outhouse because they didnt have indoor plumbing. They carried water from the well for washing.

When my mom pottytrained me they only had an outhouse. My grandparents still had one in their backyard and we used that when we were playing outside so we didn't have to go in the house. On the side of the driveway there was a handpump with a metal cup hung on it. We all used it and never thought about sharing germs.
I don't think had germs back then..because we were not kept cooped up in a house all day with video games..we were outdoors with fresh air and dirt...kids today are always sick...

When I lived out in the Alaska villages, the kids were never sick there..why..because they all played outside just like in the olden days..most villages do not have electricity in the houses, kids are taught to hunt/fish/pick berries, make baskets, etc...no time for TV and video/computer games....and they played outside even when it was 40 below!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:32 PM

My grandmother had a farm, with chickens only. There was a creek where we used to fish and wade. She had a "wash house", a little shed with her wringer washer and big sinks, and I remember rinsing the clothes in those big sinks before hanging them out on the line. She had feather beds with quilts on them. She always had a big garden and canned all her veggies. I just took all of that for granted; never really appreciated it, although I did love visiting her and helping out.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:35 PM

Grew up on a farm... now live on 2 acres where we have 1 horse, 1 dog, 14 chickens and raised 2 turkeys before last Thanksgiving and a garden. My husband loves the chickens and always wanted to raise a turkey. He got 2 turkey chicks and they got huge in a short period of time but they imprinted on us and came when we called them and "talked" to us, he couldn't kill them. We gave them to a plantation nearby but a bobcat or something killed them. It made us sad when we found out they were gone. He can't kill the chickens either! His rooster died 2 days ago of old age and he buried it. ROFL....
Old 03-26-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by suezquilts
5 acres, a herd of 14 hens, 2 roosters
Outdoor cats! and a couple dogs.
big garden, lots of chicken manure. Apples, asparagus,raspberries, grapes and blueberries.
sorry about SPIKE...my sister friend just lost her Chihuahua puppy at 4am to an owl....
Oh that is so horrible, I'm so sorry. Spike led a long full life, had a great pasture to run in, just a fluke happening. Sorry about the puppy!!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:13 PM

Lovely stories, I read them all. I am a city girl and have traveled the world too but 12 years ago, dh bought some land and here we are. This 1908 ranchhouse has been remodeled by us. When I first moved here, I had chickens, hens, guineas, cows, bulls, goats, and even Wilbur and Charlotte, two pigs, ducks, turkeys, you name it I bought it. And tehy all had names of course.
This house was the original ranch in the 500 acres around us. We arenot farmers, although hubby grew up on one, but love the country.

My cows and bulls would come to me when I went out because I was determined to hand feed them the cube snacks. LOL. As they got bigger, I would stand behind a fence and feed them.
My neighbors are "cowboys" in all sense of the word and I watch them to this day herding and everything that goes with farming. Now I have only dogs, cats and rabbits, wild turkeys, hogs, and deer. Everything else went, too much for us to keep up with. We also lease our land for coastal hay for the rancher enxt door.
So living the country life and using everyone else's cows to look at. And the smells aren't bad most of the time.
So it was fun, I can say I did it, and now I can enjoy the memories. When we get our new gate up, it will say Green Acres...(HOney I love you but give me park avenue).....ROFL
Old 03-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Power Poster

I didn't mention that I'm still on a farm! DH and I were in college and he decided he'd rather farm, so we packed our few belongings and headed back. We begin our 38th year of farming and milking cows. We have had lean years and fat and trying to balance the two is a constant struggle. I hate the hot August days when you can barely breathe after coming out of a barn full of hot cows (body temps are 102 degrees), but savor the clear blue sky of a June day with the smell of fresh cut hay curing in the windrows. The long winter of cold and snow can break a spirit, but the promise of apple blossoms, fragile wild flowers and darting swallows on the horizon renews it.
Our children grew up to be upstanding community members teaching our grands to be the same. We watch some of the grands grow up a half mile and a hill away. When our daughter spent the last week of her maternity leave here while hubby was on a business trip, she teared up and thanked us for having the farm for her kids to come home to. Sometimes it is all worthwhile.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:08 PM

We live on 80 acres, really not farmers or ranchers though, we have 3 horses, 2 dogs and a cat, the best thing is-no close neighbors.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:10 PM

I live on a farm, have always lived in the country. We had to quit raising livestock and I sure do miss the cows and pigs. We just grain farm now A small farm bout 240 acres.