Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Soap Scum on bathroom showers >

Soap Scum on bathroom showers

Soap Scum on bathroom showers

Old 04-13-2011, 05:24 AM

Spray and Wash works great, but you have to have a window in the bathroom that you can open for ventilation. Spray the shower and let it sit on the walls for an hour before washing it off.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:26 AM

If it is only soap scum, you can clean it with baking soda. {not sure about mineral deposits} It works miracles on the stove top also, without scratching. It is good for cleaning most everything.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 AM

Squeegy and spray with white vinegar. I try to use less chemicals - Go Green! :-)
Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 AM

WOW!! I learned lots and have some of the products.. I just have to use them.. My favorite product is Spic and Span in powder form.. it just's smells clean, however I can only find it in liquid and I don't like it. Have any of you seen Spic and Span in powder form? (Orange box) All of a sudden I have the urge to clean....
Old 04-13-2011, 05:31 AM

What does everyone use on their windows? I seem to have streaks when the sun hits the them. My family room is all windows.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:35 AM

What do you guys use on the actual tub? I have quite a bit of soap build up on the walls and corners. Any recommendations?
Old 04-13-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Whitney60
WOW!! I learned lots and have some of the products.. I just have to use them.. My favorite product is Spic and Span in powder form.. it just's smells clean, however I can only find it in liquid and I don't like it. Have any of you seen Spic and Span in powder form? (Orange box) All of a sudden I have the urge to clean....
I would suggest you ask your niece to help you clean the shower, this might help her realize that it just doesn't clean itself! She might not know any better, some "kids" don't know any better.

TreeFrog
Old 04-13-2011, 06:21 AM

I would say after you get it clean then get the scrubbing bubbles dispensor to use after showering in the future. Then you should never have to "clean" it again. My husband uses it in his shower and just a quick "guy" squeegee and push the button and you're done. I have not cleaned that shower in 3 years and it does look good. I spend more time on the outside of the door than inside.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 AM

When my former tenant moved out he didn't have time to clean and asked me to hire a housecleaner. She arrived armed with a hand-held steamer which she used on almost everything! I always go through the unit with a toothbrush (yes, really!) and it is spotless. But using the steamer saved a lot of elbow grease! It came with a little squeegee just below the steam spout, and she had to use only one hand to do the shower. Cleaned from the top down, the steam dissolved the scum the squeegee wiped it off. And no scratching of the finish! Even after knowing its clean when I do it, the use of sterilizing steam gave me a tremendous peace of mind! I'll be calling her for the move-outs from now on.
I'm looking for the perfect steamer for my own use now. But every time I think I've found it I read the user comments and get scared off. Anyone here who just loves their steamer??
Old 04-13-2011, 07:29 AM

For years, I shower with liquid soap and then I try to be the last one showering and then I towel dry the tile so tile doesn't stay wet all day. This really has worked to keep the scum at bay.