Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What are your plans for Easter? >

What are your plans for Easter?

What are your plans for Easter?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:32 AM

on Saturday, DBIL has an Easter party with potluck and egg hunt for the under12s -- number who come varies from many to large numbers -- it's a great time for the family and friends to get together, eat, and visit -- it's the event of the spring for our family
Old 04-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

I had to look at the calendar to see when Easter was. DH and I don't do anything special for Easter anymore. When the kids were small we had the Easter Bunny, went to sunrise service, then out to eat a big breakfast then regular church then egg hunt. I miss the frilly lace dresses, pretty hats, patent leather Baby Janes and white gloves I would buy for my girls. DGD has outgrown the Easter bunny and frilly dress.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:10 AM

No plans.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:14 AM

I have one DIL that has kept her two DD away for three years. She blocked my emails to the girls. Just found a chat section on my email, to exchange brief notes with the oldest.We both like that.
My DD and 3 sons live 600+ mi away. Cost to travel becoming prohibitive. Oldest son is divorced. Has shared custody of an 11yr old. Girl's mother is as "ugly" as she can be.
He has to return DD Easter evening. I am guessing they will stop by . Plan to have an easy meal "just in case". DH family Very busy living their own lives and live at a distance. Never see them. I become depressed at Christmas. Spring is easier.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
Originally Posted by kellen46
My kids and grandkids are all grown and live far from me so I don't really do holidays anymore. However I do have a funny story from when my kids were small.
Many moons ago I lived with my husband and children and all my in-laws on a cattle ranch out in the western Colorado desert. My BIL and SIL were still kids and Easter was a big holiday for them all. No candy eggs, just colored hard boiled ones. No grass in the yard, the only water for growing grass was down in the pasture. So eggs were hidden in some real creative places. Now the kids liked egg hunts so much eggs were gathered and re hidden several times that day. As aconsequencee not all the eggs were retrieved or edible by the end of the last hunt. One year there were 3 dozen eggs out in the yard, we had hens. In a month or so Grandpa was in town driving his ancient Cadillac Sedan when there was a gigantic backfire from his car. The man behind him at the light had some very rotten hard boiled eggs splattered all over his windshield. Seem the tail pipe had been a prime and over looked hiding spot for the hunt. Now Grandpa was a man of few words, mostly he said yup, nope and maybe. He was very mortified at his car's indiscretion. The other guy was irate and Grandpa was unusually verbal with things tending to-wards "%&(*&*(**(*^%*(^*^%^*^*&^ Easter !!!!!!!"
After that all tail pipes were off limits for hiding spaces.
Thanks, hubby and I had our first good laugh for the day.......mj
To get the full visual you have to picture how Grandpa was dressed. He was in his usual going to town clothes, battered and sweat stained cowboy hat, plaid cowboy shirt, bib overalls and a colorful tie. This differed from his day to day wear as he was wearing a tie, usually one he brought back from France after WWII. The tie was there because he was going to see the banker that day. He had another tie but it was for church and much more subdued in pattern and hue. As for the car it was, I swear this is true, a pink Cadillac with chrome trim and large back fins. It was you see from the mid century when men were men and cars were so big you could have housed a family of five in the back seat. Seat belts were for sissies who could not handle a real vehicle. But no worry because Grandpa seldom drove over 35 miles per hour. No body but Grandpa drove the Cadillac. The rest of us had to make do with the Pickup Truck that was only slightly less old, but had some nice high livestock racks on it so all the kids could ride back there in safety. On year the truck was used to haul manure and corn seed in that order. There actually was a couple of corn plants growing in the corners. Grandpa said to leave them alone as we would toss them out when the corn got ripe enough to pick.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 AM

I am very blessed that 3 of my 4 children live in the same house as I do. ( I own a tenement house so we each have our private space.) So my DH goes out in the morning and hides the plastic eggs and the 3 kids hunt them down after they get their baskets. Then my DD and I prepare the dinner while the others play video games. After dinner my older DS does the clean up. Except for the egg hunt it is like a normal day, only with better food.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cafegold2
I have one DIL that has kept her two DD away for three years. She blocked my emails to the girls. Just found a chat section on my email, to exchange brief notes with the oldest.We both like that.
My DD and 3 sons live 600+ mi away. Cost to travel becoming prohibitive. Oldest son is divorced. Has shared custody of an 11yr old. Girl's mother is as "ugly" as she can be.
He has to return DD Easter evening. I am guessing they will stop by . Plan to have an easy meal "just in case". DH family Very busy living their own lives and live at a distance. Never see them. I become depressed at Christmas. Spring is easier.
Keeping the kids away from the grandparents just to spite the spouse or ex is unforgivable. How horrible for the kids to have a parent so mean spirited. The kids will discover the truth for themselves as they get older. Don't ever stop sending cards or messages to them by any means possible saying how much you love them and want to see them. I'll keep you and the kids in my prayers.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:30 PM

Thank You.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:22 PM

It is my weekend to work, I work the 3-11 shift.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:36 PM

My DH & I will attend Church in the morning. Then we will cook a roast dinner. It will be served around 5 pm for any of our kids who can attend. Will probably be 3 of our 4 kids and 5 DGKs. All the kids will bring a dish to share; makes it easier for me, lol.